- Open Google Docs and start a new document to work with by clicking Blank. Next, select Add-ons at the top menu, then click Get add-ons. Install Lucidchart Diagrams since there is no default or free family tree template. From the diagrams available, select your preferred diagram to edit until you transform it into a family tree chart for your document.
Everyone must have at least tried to make a family tree in school projects. Nonetheless, family trees and charts are not for school purposes only. You can use the family tree to introduce new generations to the old generation family, a tool to track family history, and many more. Although family trees are often created easily through a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, Microsoft Word, Google Sheets, or Google Slides, did you know that you can craft a family tree using a specific template on Google Docs too? This article will guide you on a step-by-step journey on how to make that happen.
How to Create a Family Tree Using a Template on Google Docs
Google Docs itself contains a variety of features. And one function is to come up with your very own family tree from various generations using printable and editable templates. To do that, you only need to take note of the following steps:
1. Access your Gmail account. Head on to Google Docs or log on to https://docs.google.com directly. If you already have a Gmail account, then you can surely access this online word processor anytime.
2. Press the Blank tool to make a new document. Then, head to the top menu or toolbar and click Add-ons. Next, tap Get add-ons.
3. Look for Lucidchart Diagrams and click it. The great part about Lucidchart Diagrams is how it has all the features you need to concoct an organizational chart, decision tree, or any type of diagram. And those are just what you need to form a family tree. Don’t forget to click Install if you still have not installed it.
4. Once you allow Lucidchart to access Google Docs, you can finally insert any diagram to get started. From the tools under Lucidchart Diagrams, select your preferred diagram to use as a family tree. Simply click + at the image’s corner and it gives you the preview. Next, tap Insert so you can see the diagram in your document.
5. Now, click your diagram and come up with the needed changes. Insert your family tree data from the names and arrange the organizational structure smoothly. A family tree isn’t about listing the names of family members alone because they should be connected by lines or branches too. And you may insert the relationship between each family member. Once you have added everything and edited the template to your heart’s content, feel free to publish it.
Note: Are you searching for more professionally made family tree templates besides using an MS Excel template or PowerPoint template? Template.net has a collection of editable family tree templates in Google Docs to serve you with more samples. Download now!