11+ Program Templates
Programs are necessary in order to keep an event organized. And the most common way to create them is through the use of printable program templates. These digital files will come with pre-formatted layouts, text, images, and other design elements needed to create a printed program. You may also see flyer samples.
In this article, we will share a step by step guide on how to create different kinds of programs for various events. Also included are multiple examples of printable program templates and various tips on how to make sure that you create a standout program design.
Elements of a Good Program
A program’s main purpose is to provide information about the series of micro-events that will occur during an occasion or gathering. They are usually printed on thick paper or card stock. Depending on the length of the event, a program may be printed in booklet or leaflet form. For some events like theatrical plays and musicals, this kind of event program is also called a playbill. This will contain specific information about the event’s performers and their professional qualifications.
With this end purpose in mind, creating an event program can be difficult. But fret not. We have compiled the top elements that should be found in any program design so that you, too, can apply them for your own event program creations.
- Layout: A good program follows an organized layout pattern. This can be a simple chronological list of events or it can be an elaborate yet well-organized table of micro-events and their descriptions. Choose a program template that follows a layout that will suit your guests and the type of event you are holding.
- Typography: Good typography makes anything more readable and appealing. This applies to event programs as well. If you are using a pre-made event program template, choose one that uses good typography. Or, make use of appealing typefaces for your self-designed event program.
- Color Palette: Color is another important element that makes an event program appealing and attractive. It is the first thing that readers notice and, therefore, should be taken into consideration when designing any printed material. Choose a complementary color scheme and use this all throughout your event program pages.
- Relevant Event Details: An event program is only as useful as the content it provides. That is why, when creating your own program or when customizing a pre-made program template, make sure that you add as much event information into the document. Remember, the program is there to tell guests and attendees about each event – what will happen, when will it happen, and other event-specific details.
- Complimentary Theme. A good event program should also follow the same theme or motif as the event itself. Doing this will help create a sense of unity within the design elements used throughout the event. For example, if you are creating a wedding reception program, it is important to make sure that the program design should match all the wedding motif and all the other wedding stationery designs.
The list of elements that make up a good program template shared above is not an all-inclusive list. If, during your program creation process, you encounter some elements that are important for the specific project you are working on, feel free to consider it for your project.
11+ Program Templates
Take a look at these program templates that Template.net offers for free. (Extended licensing is available if you want to use these printables commercially.) These templates are all downloadable and easy to customize.
Program Flyer Template
Available File Formats
7th Birthday Program Template
Event Program Template
Floral Wedding Reception Program Sample
School Program Example
Tri-Fold Wedding Program Template
Available File Formats
Memorial Program Example
Sample Event Program Design
Graduation Programs Format
Simple Funeral Program Template
Sports Program Design
Retirement Program Sample
Steps on How to Design a Good Program
A round-up guide on event programs is not complete without sharing a step by step guide on how to create one. Provided below are the top steps that any event planner may follow if they wish to create a printed program.
1. Decide what type of program you want to create based on the type of event you are hosting.
2. Determine if you want to create a handmade program or if you want to use a printable program template.
3. Write down all the micro-events you want to include in your program.
4. If using a program template, select a graphic design software and begin writing down the program details.
5. If creating a handmade program, start writing down the program details on a high-quality paper or cardstock.
6. Combine and arrange all the text and graphic design elements on your digital template or on the handmade template.
7. Review the templates for errors and layout issues.
8. Make the necessary changes and finalize the program layout.
9. If making a handmade program, you will already have a completed event program on hand.
10. If using a digital template, you may now print out the template using your home printer or a commercial printer.
11. Congratulate yourself! You have now created an event program.
And that’s it! Those are the steps that anyone may follow in order to create a good event program. Feel free to change up the steps as you become more comfortable with the entire program creation process.
Simple Tips for an Excellent Event Program
Knowing the important elements that make up a good event program is not enough. Sometimes, it helps to know a few hacks and tips in order to make the creation process easier and quicker. That is why we have shared a few tips on how to create an event program below. Read and study them well.
- Use clear typography: An event program is meant to inform your event guests about the specifics of that gathering or occasion. You can make a program as informational as possible. But, remember to also make it more easily readable. This can be achieved by using bold yet clear typography. Limit your font choices up to three font styles only.
- Use images sparingly: An excellent program layout should emphasize the pieces of information about the event that you wish to impart to its reader. Do away with over-the-top background pictures and illustrations. By doing this, you are letting the reader focus on the text.
- Provide ample negative space: Using white or negative space will make your event program appear more clutter-free. Remember that it is your goal to have the guest read the contents of the program. And when they see a program that is clean-looking and pleasing to the eye, they are more likely to read it.
- Follow the same event color scheme or theme: As with any type of formal event, it is important to maintain theme or design continuity. This means that if you are hosting a rustic-themed wedding, it should follow that your reception event uses a rustic wedding program too.
And those are the top tips that anyone who is looking to create or design their own event program should keep in mind. Apply these simple tips during your program creation process and you will have a relatively easier time completing the creative project.
Types of Programs
Programs are classified according to the type of event they are created for. Listed below are the different types of event programs today. A few more may be added depending on the type of event you are hosting.
- Wedding reception programs
- Birthday programs
- Memorial programs
- Funeral programs
- Concert programs
- Conference programs
- Church programs
- Anniversary programs
- Baby shower programs
- Retirement programs
- Sports programs
- School programs
There is no standard size for a printed program. Event organizers may choose the paper size and type depending on the event theme and personal preferences. Listed below are the two most common program sizes available in Template.net.
- Letter size or 8.5 inches by 11 inches
- A5/A6 size or 5 inches by 7 inches
What software program do you use to create a printed program?
Creating a program is just like making any kind of graphic design project. The most common software tools used are Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. Sometimes, word processing software like Microsoft Word and Publisher may be used.
What is the difference between an event program and an event timeline?
An event program is a document that lists down the different things that will occur during an event or gathering. It also refers to the actual printed document. An event timeline is the chronological arrangement of all the things that will occur during the event. These two terms are usually interchangeable. But, an event timeline may be included in an event program but not the other way around.
How to print out event programs?
Event programs may be printed using home printers. But if you want to have special printing effects or use high-quality paper, printing through a professional printer may be required. The latter option is preferred for those who are preparing for a wedding and will use tri-fold wedding programs, for example.
Creating event programs is now made easier thanks to pre-made printable program templates. Instead of having to scour the internet for templates, you can use one found in this article. Remember, it is always important to devise a program as it gives any event a clearer agenda, smoother flow, and proper structure.