There are all kinds of contract agreements available nowadays, all of which can occur between different kinds of people. This usually has to do with questions of employment, but there are particular agreements that break the mold, like invention agreement templates, which have to do with things developed by an organization’s employees.
The question of ownership can be a thorny one, in this instance, if the item was made by the employee but with the employer’s funds and materials. Hence, why any partnership agreements made between the parties should specify whose property the resulting invention is, which is the entire point of using these templates in the first place.
Invention Assignment Agreement
What Is an Invention Template?
Invention templates differ from other printable agreement templates in that they concern themselves with the terms of inventions employees may produce. The contract agreement templates you use should include some elements, such as:
- Terms designating ownership to the employer, as the employer generally claims the item as having been made for it.
- Pledges to support the employer’s intellectual property rights, as the employer would claim the item.
- Regulations to control how the materials are used, to ensure that employees use them properly.
- Pledges from the employer to compensate the employee, as the employee developed the item for the employer’s benefit.
Why Would You Want Invention Agreement Templates?
While you might find some obvious uses for these agreement templates, there are some other reasons you might want them, including:
- They can prevent intellectual property disputes by outlining what both parties’ obligations are ahead of time.
- They can establish the rights and responsibilities of both parties, given that it is presumably a reciprocal relationship.
- They can ensure confidentiality by adding a client confidentiality agreement, and particularly if the invention and materials are of a sensitive nature.
- They ensure that employer resources are used properly so as to guarantee that the process of making the invention was done ethically.
Who Can Use these Agreements?
There a great many people who could make their own inventions for whatever purpose, just as there are a number of people who could possibly hire them. Therefore, these kinds of memorandum of agreement templates can be used by such people as:
- Inventors – They could use templates like these to learn what entails offers like these, so as to prepare them in the future.
- Companies – They can directly use the templates if ever their employees should produce inventions that could directly benefit them. These agreements would be much akin to sales agreement templates, in the event of that happening.
- Institutions – As some of their researchers could develop such inventions. In that case, the institution should make sure that they can secure them.
- Lawyers – They could use the templates in order to write up their own agreements, if ever they should be called upon to draw them up. Lawyers may also use these for study if they ever have to mediate between different parties.
If there are other agreements you may have to make, there are other templates that you may wish to use so as to make sure that you have all the tools you could need.