Because nonprofit organizations are not in the business of doing things for money, trying to get the necessary funding to operate becomes a somewhat tricky (and creative) tightrope. If you are in charge of a nonprofit’s financial affairs, you know there are various ways to get funding. There are fundraisers, fee-for-service systems, grants, sponsorship, donations, and other things. But just as important than gathering the funds is to calculate a budget and manage to operate within it.
A Budget Template for a nonprofit may take on a very different approach from a for-profit, because your attitude toward money will be different. To help you get started, this list of free templates should offer you a guiding light.
Non Profit Budget Example
Non Profit Annual Budget Template
Non Profit Startup Budget
Non Profit Operating Budget Template
Non Profit Startup Budget Template
Non Profit Fundraising Budget Template
Annual Budget Template for Non Profit
Non Profit Program Budget Template
The Basic Bones of a Nonprofit Budget
The typical nonprofit budget sheet will generally look something like this:
- A tabulated list of revenue sources (government grants, fundraising events and merchandise, membership income, individual contributions and donations, etc.)
- An itemized list of expense categories (staff wages, insurance, rent and overheads, fringe benefits, payroll taxes, etc.)
- A total or segmented/categorized estimated budget for each activity (this is your expenditure goal)
- The actuals (documented actual expenditure)
The longer you have kept your nonprofit running, the better the idea you have of your average operational costs.
You have probably been involved in the budgeting of the operations of some other institution, which didn’t immediately strike you as a nonprofit. A Church Budget and a School Budget are the most common examples.
The Subcategories of Nonprofit Budget Sheets
Your budgeting strategy will shift to accommodate a particular program, venture, or a certain stage in the development of your nonprofit.
Some templates in the collection for such situations:
- Non Profit Startup Budget Template—for when you are just starting out and need to track your spending over the fledgling years to get a better idea of your spending needs.
- Non Profit Operating Budget Template—to maintain your financial balance and keep your nonprofit in the running.
- Annual Budget Template for Non Profit—to allocate your budget over the full year after gathering enough information from the last two budget types over time. For managing funding over a shorter term, see Non Profit Monthly Budget Template.
- Non Profit Fundraising Budget Template—addressing one key area of revenue income, ironically it takes money to make money. (See also Non Profit Program Budget Template.)
- Non Profit Development Budget Template—this is a special budget template to manage funding of a developing project.
- Non Profit Marketing Budget Template—because you can’t expect to get donations if no one knows who you are or what you do.
For a quick start, the Non Profit Budget Template in Excel is an excellent and easy template that you can fully customize.
Non Profit Development Budget Template
Non Profit Budget Template in Excel
Non Profit Monthly Budget Template
Non Profit Marketing Budget Template
Non Profit School Budget Template
How to Use These Templates
Many of these examples will be provided as free PDF examples and templates, but look out for the Excel (.xlsx) formats at the bottom of the collection. These will be especially useful for you to get started right away, whether you are a startup or a seasoned player and whether you are planning a special program budget, a monthly budget, or a Yearly Budget.