The sun and the moon were the only recurring natural events that were used to measure time years before the calendar came. People needed a systematic method to measure time, days, months, and years. At around 1582, the Gregorian calendar was made. Since then, calendars have been with us for almost 2000 years, helping us keep in track of our world today.
We may not realize this but calendars are considered as a device. They can be tools that aid us with our personal activities or as a marketing device that will help in promotion. For whatever purpose they are, calendars ought to be systematically made in order to achieve its greatest potential and be more than just a calendar.
1. Proper Format: A good calendar should be able to follow the proper format. Some components of a good calendar include days, months, the year it is based on, high tide and low tide schedules, and even the phases of the moon. You can even include national holidays to make your calendar multi-purpose.
2. Typography: This is a very important element in a calendar. Calendars have to be readable because that is the main purpose of this device. Whether they are placed afar or near, the aim is for the text to be visible and readable. Make sure to use a font that is casual and where the letters are placed not so near with each other.
3. Size: Calendar sizes range from wall calendars to desk calendars. Determine what type of calendar do you want to make and what size to turn it into. Pocket calendars are preferably only composed of the months and days, while bigger calendars have more details to it.
4. Illustrations: Some calendars, preferably bigger ones, can incorporate images or illustrations into their calendar. If it’s a commodity calendar, make sure to put in visually pleasing illustrations or artworks. If it’s a company calendar, you can incorporate images that are relevant to your products or services. Make sure the images are scalable to any size.
Making a calendar shouldn’t be that hard. Here are five easy steps on how to make a good one.
1. Download an online template: Utilizing an online template is an effective way to maximize time and resources. Making a calendar can be very intricate most especially with inserting the details. The templates embedded above are all editable using the Microsoft Word application. These are pre-designed with text, font type, illustrations, size, and the calendar format itself.
2. Input details: Think of the details you want to add into your calendars such as the holidays, phases of the moon, tide schedules and even other personal details. If it’s a commercial calendar, you can feel free to personalize it. If it’s a company calendar, you can include some principles, objectives, and goals your company has.
3. Adjust elements: After putting in some information or details you want including, take the time to adjust some pre-designed elements. Check if the font type compliments the layout if the words are readable and if the illustrations have retained their resolution. Make sure that your calendar doesn’t look too overcrowded with all the texts in it. Also, try to check if your calendars are correctly arranged by month.
4. Evaluate: Evaluate if your calendar is something you want to use yourself. After, get the second opinion by asking someone else. If it’s a yes, then that means it’s marketable.
5. Print: Determine if your calendar is for personal use or for commercial. If it’s for personal use, you can print it using your home printer. If it’s for commercial and needs to be reproduced in a large number, it’s best to print it at a professional printing shop. Consult a printing professional or do some research on some printing techniques for a unique calendar. Use special paper for printing, preferably one with thicker stock.
Types of Calendar
How important are calendars?
Calendars are very effective tools in helping us humans be more productive with our time. Take, for example, planners are a special type of calendar that provides a method on how we could allocate our time and plan out our activities for a specific day. This device also helps us figure out which tasks should be prioritized. We might get too caught up with the amounts of work we receive and we forget to know which should be done first. Calendars may not be everybody’s cup of tea and some people may take this device lightly, but little do we know how important this is.