A business case is what you put forward to the decision-makers in your organization to push a project. This is done as a written report that justifies the effort and expense of the proposed undertaking, given its potential benefits. You can think of this in the way of a business proposal, with the only difference being in the scale and the audience. You will be pitching to whoever makes the final call on these projects, instead of to outside investors and clients.
100,000+ Ready-Made Designs, Docs & Templates - Download Now Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word (DOC), Microsoft Excel (XLS), Adobe Photoshop (PSD), Google Docs, Microsoft PowerPoint (PPT), Adobe InDesign (INDD & IDML), Apple (MAC) Pages, Google Sheets (SPREADSHEETS), Microsoft Publisher, Apple Numbers, Adobe Illustrator (AI), Apple (MAC) Keynote.
If you have trouble making the case for your project, rethink your project’s Case Template. Better yet, take a look at these basic business case templates to help you draft something effective.
Basic Business Case Template in Word
Project Business Case Template
One Page Business Case Template in Word
Business Case Analysis Template in Word
Financial Business Case Template in Word
Sample Project Business Case Template in Word
How Do I Make the Case for My Business Project?
There is no one single best way to make the case for your project. You can take a random Case Study Template from this list and see how it differs from the rest. The layout is not as important as the content. When drafting a Business Case Template, make sure you have these areas covered:
- State you reasoning or your motive for initiating the project.
- List the commercial benefits or returns on investment (ROI) you can realistically expect from executing the project.
- List the feasible approaches the organization can take toward accomplishing this. Don’t make demands but give the decision-makers practical options that will benefit the company.
Other considerations to keep in mind:
- Be brief, clear, and concise. Don’t lose your audience with long-windedness before you can change their mind.
- Use a layout that presents all your key points in a clear, well-focused manner.
- Start and end with your strongest ideas and cut out everything else. Remember that you have to convince someone. You will first have to get their attention. Attention translates to the power to convince.
Project Management Business Case Template Word
Generic Business Case Template in Word
Business Case Study Template in Word
Product Business Case Analysis Template in Word
How Do I Use These Templates?
If you think any of these templates will do the job for you, feel free to download and edit them to suit your project. These templates are available as Word document files in zipped folders, so make sure you have an archive program and a good word processor.
If your project idea has real inherent worth, these templates should help you make it clear to your supervisors by allowing you to present your argument logically, professionally, comprehensively, and convincingly.
Bonus Case Template
If you’re really creative and determined, you might want to provide data and anecdotal evidence of similar projects that worked for other successful companies. These can be then presented alongside your business case document. In this case, you will want a good Marketing Case Study Template to help strengthen your argument.