You might have seen different kinds of contracts other than for employment, such as a Land Contract. However, there are also contracts for independent contractors, who are not actually employed by a company, but sign a contract to establish that they are working together. You may also see contract templates
Independent contractors may work for another group, but they do not work under that group. Any contract an independent contractor signs is not an Employment Contract, strictly speaking. Therefore, an independent contractor cannot expect all of the same things as an employee. That said, a contract is still signed, with all that that implies.
Independent Contractor Agreement Template
Independent Consultant Contract Template
Independent Contract Agreement
What is the Difference Between an Employment Contract and an Independent Contract?
While you might be able to use a Business Contract Template for either regular employment or an independent contractor, you cannot expect that they will turn out the same way. In any case, some of those differences include:
- An independent contract does not include the benefits and privileges an employment contract would, such as health care.
- An independent contract would also mention that it would not pay an independent contractor’s taxes, or any expenses incurred by the contractor.
- Independent contracts also stipulate that the contractor is not affiliated with the other party, and cannot represent them in any manner.
How to Make an Independent Contract
Since an independent contract is very distinct from a regular employment contract, there are some distinct steps you have to follow. Samples like Sample HR Contract Templates may give you an idea, but some steps to make your own contract include:
- The contract must outline what services the contractor is obliged to perform. This can be fairly complex, as the nature of those services can vary.
- The limitations of the relationship also have to be stated, such as how much control the employer can exact.
- The exact nature of the relationship also needs to be put in writing, to make clear that the relationship is not an employer-employee one.
Guidelines for Independent Contract
There are also some guidelines that you may wish to keep in mind when making your own contracts. These can help you make sure that your contracts cover everything that warrants mentioning. Other templates do the same, such as Sales Contract Templates. Many of these guidelines are important precisely because they do not concern a typical employer-employee relationship.
- The most important thing is to be specific, particularly with what you expect from the contractor. Contractors do not have quite the same conditions as employees, so it is important to spell out all the details.
- Being that the relationship is less not that of employee-employer, it would be important to establish boundaries. This way, both parties do not end up overstepping into one another’s sphere.
- Being that the contractors are not employees, it is also important to include some leeway in the terms. The contractors are professionals performing a service, and should know how to do their job, so it may pay not to micromanage, or at least not too much.
Of course, there are other kinds of contract templates, and those are also available here on the website. If you wanted any of those kinds, it stands to reasons that you can find them elsewhere on the site.