When it comes to organizing and simplifying business or personal tasks, creating printable forms is a must-do. Aside from streamlining an organization’s paperwork, it also helps customers and/or clients provide transaction-related information without too much hassle.
So if you are tasked to come up with a standard form design for your organization or brand, this article is for you. Here, we will teach you the basic steps on how to plan, design, and create your own forms. In addition, we will also show downloadable form templates in Google Sheets file format that you can use for your own projects.
A form is any document that contains spaces or placeholders where individuals write answers to predetermined prompts or questions related to a specific object, transaction, topic, or request. Filling out forms may be likened to having a conversation, albeit less personalized.
Before proceeding with the actual form creation process, it is important to first learn the core elements that make a good and effective form design. Adherence to these characteristics or elements will help ensure that any form you create obtains the necessary data you wish to get from your customer or client.
Find out what each element is and study how they can be applied to your own form designs.
1. Accurate and Relevant Data: A good form should only ask for the most accurate and relevant data from a client or customer. Failure to do so will run the risk of violating privacy laws. In addition, asking customers to fill out a long form (whether in print or online) reduces conversion rates as customers can get bored and not finish filling out the form.
2. Proper Headings or Labels: The use of proper headings or labels facilitate the easy and quick filling-out of any form. The right headings also let a client or customer know what specific information to write on what part of the form.
3. Visual Hierarchy or Structure: Whether you are creating printed or online forms, following a simple and organized layout makes a form easier to fill out. Most of the time, a single column works best. To promote good visual flow, you may also group together any related information. For example, in a sales order form, personal information (name, address, contact numbers, etc) are often asked at the start of a form while in-depth information like the quantity and types of products being ordered will be asked further down the form.
4. Color Scheme: The best forms are those that are not only functional but are also visually pleasing. And one good way to achieve this is through the addition of a complementary color scheme. With the use of a color chart, anyone may easily find colors or a group of colors that will match the form document they are creating.
5. Data Privacy: In the digital age, protecting your client’s and/or customer’s personal and business data is a must. Good forms should include explicit wording regarding your compliance with local and state privacy laws. This should apply whether you are creating simple HR feedback forms to private phone call log forms.
With all these characteristics and elements in mind, you will have in your hands a good form template design in no time.
Take a look at these downloadable form templates in Google Sheets file format. Each template is fully customizable so that you can add your own branding elements and personal or business information easily. They are also available in other download formats like Pages, Numbers, Excel, Word, and PDF.
With the help of all the free form templates shown above, you can already create a good form design. But, if you want to add more impact and functionality to your form designs, we have listed down a few more tips to achieve that below. Each tip is designed to help make your forms easier to fill out. Check them out!
Forms come in various shapes and sizes. In this part of the article, we attempt to list down different types of forms (and their various functions) that are available today.
These are just a few types of printed forms. Downloadable template examples are linked above. Online versions of these forms may also be created.
A form template in Google Sheets is any document file made using the online spreadsheet software called Google Sheets. It is a pre-formatted file that includes all the table placeholders, layout, headers, and image files needed to create a form design. Templates created using Google Sheets may be imported and then edited using other offline word processing tools like Microsoft Word and Excel.
The main difference between a form and a sheet document lies in how information is presented and/or obtained. In a sheet, the reader is asked to enter information in different columns or rows. While in a form, an individual is only asked to enter information on a specific box or blank space.
Aside from using Google Sheets, how can you create a form template?
Remember, even the simplest form design that you create is a reflection of your business or organization. If you want a favorable and positive image starting with the business documents and forms that you ask clients and customers to fill out, then start brainstorming how you can create one with the use of any of the design elements we have shared above.