No one can see the future, but everyone can prepare for it. Be prepared to address a contingency such as being rendered incapacitated or “mentally incompetent” to make your own decisions—or even just being unavailable to take care of certain important matters in your life. The legal solution to this scenario is the power of attorney (POA) form. You may also see attorney samples.
With this form you can legally authorize another person to act as your personal agent or “attorney-in-fact,” acting on your behalf when you are unable to.
If you are looking for a comprehensive and immediately practical MS Word Power of Attorney Template, you’ve come to the right place. This list includes .doc/.docx as well as PDF formats you can download for free.
27+ Attorney Templates in PDF | Word | Excel | PSD | Google Docs | InDesign | Apple Pages | Google Sheets | Publisher | Apple Numbers | Illustrator - START DOWNLOADING
Durable Power of Attorney Form
Health Care Power of Attorney Form
General Power of Attorney Form
Special Power of Attorney Form
Financial Power of Attorney Form
Understanding the Different Powers of Attorney Forms
From this list of samples, you can see the various powers you can assign an agent.
- A durable (or enduring, or lasting) power is one that comes into effect immediately and lasts until you, the grantor, are dead.
- A springing power is one that comes into effect only after certain conditions are met and under certain circumstances.
- One example of this from the list is the military general power of attorney form, essentially granting your stateside agent decision-making power when you are away on military duty.
- Think of this as a sort of Order Form for an important service to be delivered at some trigger point in the future.
- A special (or limited, or specific) power grants your agent authority to handle only a specified range of responsibilities. An example of this is the health care power of attorney form, which deals only with decisions concerning your medical directives, daily welfare routine, life support, etc.
- A general power grants your agent the authority to manage a broad range of all your affairs, from financial and property to medical and personal.
A power of attorney can be two of these based on effective date, duration, and scope of power—e.g,. a durable medical power of attorney.
Limited Power of Attorney Form
Specific Power of Attorney Form
Military General Power of Attorney Form
Statutory Power of Attorney Form
Irrevocable Power of Attorney form
When drafting a power of attorney form, you also get to decide whether to make this power revocable or irrevocable.
- A revocable POA reserves your right to void the original form authorizing an agent and authorize someone else.
- An irrevocable POA gives up your lawful power to revoke the agent’s powers—ever. This is rarely used and usually limited to a very specific purpose (e.g., financial affairs; see irrevocable power of attorney form sample above).