A principal serves as one of the heads of the school and is responsible in overseeing all the works in terms of administration and institutional processes that are done and implemented by different employees in the learning community.
A school hires a principal so that he or she can help supervise the performance of teachers which will then result to the betterment of the learning opportunities for the students. Other than our downloadable job description of a principal position, you may also download our Job Description Samples which you can use in different fields of work and expertise.
492+ HR Templates in PDF, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs, Apple Pages, Google Sheets, Apple Keynote, Google Slides - START DOWNLOADING
School Principal Job Description Template
Vice Principal Job Description Template
High School Principal Job Description Template
Functions and Responsibilities of a Principal
The job responsibilities of a principal are as follows:
- Know the areas that he or she needs to focus on which are basically given by the school officials right before he or she holds the position
- Assure that teachers participate in programs that focus on the development of their students
- Supervise the people that are directly in line and involved in the area where he or she is assigned
- Develop the administration processes of the school and make sure that all activities are providing growth in different areas of the child’s learning
- Coordinate all the events and activities that the school is to implement
You may also see Preschool Teacher Job Descriptions.
Other than these primary responsibilities, here are the other functions of a principal:
- Observe the performance of teachers and have suggestions on how teaching processes may be improved may it be in or out of the classroom
- Participate in selecting qualified individuals who are applying for the teaching positions of the school and have the ability to identify their strength and what level or subject they will be most appropriate to be placed for teaching processes
- Assure that the smart goals and mission of the school board is being achieved by monitoring different aspects of the learning community
- Encourage people involved in different school activities and processes to cooperate and participate in helping the school maintain its prestige
- Evaluate programs and practices and decide whether they are still applicable to the learning needs of the students
Other than our principal job descriptions, you may also be interested to browse through our Substitute Teacher Job Description and Preschool Teacher Job Description for more information about the latter jobs and their functions.
Deputy Principal Job Description
Preschool Principal Job Description Template
College Principal Job Description
Consulting Principal Job Description Template
Principal Jobs For Different Educational Levels
A principal is hired by learning institutions and is assigned to different educational levels, which includes the following:
- Play school and preparatory learning
- Middle school or high school
- College institutions
It all depends on the qualifications of an applicant and his or her experiences in the field of academics that may place him or her to being the principal in any of these educational levels. You may also see Sample Substitute Teacher Job Description Templates.
Can I Be a Principal?
If you want to be a principal, you need to undergo many processes and acquire the needed credentials and qualifications of the different levels that you need to pass before getting the position that you want. A principal must have an extensive background in terms of education and other learning practices which is very essential in helping the school achieve its needs for betterment in providing quality learning for its students. You may also see Administrative Assistant Job Description Templates.
If you are still starting in the field of education, you may want to try to be a teacher first. We have a Teacher Job Description which can guide you in terms of knowing the job functions of a teacher. Who knows, it might just be your first stepping stone in being a principal.