10+ Notebook and Journal Templates
The notebook and journal—these two things that are usually associated with school in keeping record of the most important part of your teacher’s lessons and language arts homework. Today, you’ll find that note-taking and journal-writing have evolved into something much more “grown up” than just middle-school requirements.
Journals are now valuable tools for entrepreneurs and small business owners in recording their ideas and writing down their thoughts in an organized, often flexible format. Keeping a well-thought journal or notebook helps you focus and keep on track towards the right direction in business.
Elements of A Good Notebook or a Journal
A notebook or journal is a small book bounded by paper pages, ruled and used for purposes such as taking down notes, memorandum format, book writing, drawing or scrapbooking. Here are three main elements you need for a journal and notebook:
- Binding. You can use primary types of binding such as perfect, spiral, comb, clasp, and disc. Some of which may be combined, but remember that type of binding can affect whether the material can lie flat when open or whether pages will stay attached.
- Cover. The material often differs from the writing surface material. It’s more sturdy, sometimes more decorative and attached firmly. This should not impact any damage or discomfort of using athem.
- Preprinting. Journals and notebooks used for writing are often blank and have some type of print on their writing material to align the writing or to support specific types of drawings.
10 Notebook and Journal Templates
Vintage Journal Template
Writer Journal Template
Sports Journal Template
Real Estate journal
Music Journal Template
Inspirational Journal Template
Daily Journal Template
Food Journal Template
Steps To Designing A Good Notebook and Journal
- Be consistent. When you’re an entrepreneur, you know that one of the things you should prioritize is staying organized, since it’s easy to get confused with your daily workload.
- List aspirations. These are your bigger picture items, your personal and career long-term goals. An effective journal should also help you in tracking the progress of business and personal tasks you’ve set.
- Plan your typical day. What are your goals for the day? Write down the things you hope to accomplish as this helps you manage your tasks better and you would have time for more.
- Keep record. Your ideas would be useful later on, and so you have to write them down. This is especially very important in business. A journal or notebook helps you keep your ideas on record and clear your cluttered thoughts to end up with something that might be very useful for any area of your business.
- Draft content for product or marketing purposes. After writing your ideas down, make a section for outlining topics you wish to cover in your site content and across the business’ social media platforms. You can start drawing possible layouts of possible print materials and digital content if you’re closely working with a graphic designer for the designs.
- Celebrate accomplishments. You can only maximize the purpose of keeping a journal or notebook if you also include writing things that inspires, excites and motivates you to do better or gives you the feeling of being a winner. Clients and other stakeholders would want to see that they are doing business or working with someone who loves to win and shows it through celebrating even the smallest accomplishments.
Simple Tips For an Excellent Notebook and Journal Layout
Your notebook or journal won’t be of much help if you won’t take the time to section, divide, and maintain them. Here are some helpful tips in keeping a journal and notebook that would help you stay on course:
- Daily Sketch / Doodle Reminder. Use the old-fashioned ways of pen to paper creating a little inspiration for any type of project. Taking a few minutes of your time to doodle or sketch away in your notebook encourages creativity even when you’re feeling drained.
- Experiment with Lettering. You don’t have to master the art of calligraphy, but there’s something unique about the idea of stretching your muscles in drawing letters with different, appealing styles.
- Group The Same Items Together. Be realistic about what you think you can accomplish in a certain business timeline. You can do this by writing down and grouping the same tasks under one heading.
Types of Notebooks and Journals
In a world where both business and school tasks are made easier with technology, having a touchscreen keypad is the preferred way of keeping record and communicating. However, writers, entrepreneurs, and practically anyone who lives with a “To Do” list still finds it necessary to have a “traditional,” low-tech word processor which includes the following:
- Spiral Notebook. Among the paper notebooks and journals available today, the spiral type is probably the most common, with students making up a large majority of its users for obvious reasons. Spiral notebooks can have covers made of thin cardboard, polypropylene or flexible plastic.
- Bullet Journal. Organizing tasks, ideas and keeping with the business schedule is quite challenging and can sometimes be redundant. While each person may have their own way staying organized, the bullet journal offers a great way to improve your organizing strategies.
- Composition Notebook. Although they can come in various designs, composition notebooks are usually recognizable by their signature marbled front cover. The inside back cover would typically include a grid for writing down the class workout schedule, and like the spiral notebook, are more commonly used by students since it can also come with a multiplication table, conversion table and grammar rules.
Journals can also come in many other different types but you can easily customize a notebook or a regular journal anyway you want, depending on your preference as well as personal and business or career needs.
Notebook and Journal Sizes
While it may depend on the brand, journals and notebooks can most definitely come in every shape and size available. The best way to understand and get one that has consistent sizing would be choosing to go with those that are considered as standard paper sizes. The two most common standard paper sizes are the ones from the A series and B series. These sizes are under ISO print standards:
Notebook paper size measurements A series:
- A3: 297 x 420 mm (11.7 x 16.5 in)
- A4: 10 x 297 mm (8.3 x 11.7 in)
- A5: 148 x 210 mm (5.8 x 8.3 in)
- A6: 105 x 148 mm (4.1 x 5.8 in)
- A7: 74 x 105 mm (2.9 x 4.1 in)
Notebook paper size measurements B series:
- B5: 176 x 250mm (6.9 x 9.8 in)
- B6: 125 x 176mm (4.9 x 6.9 in)
- B7: 88 x 125mm (3.5 x 4.9 in)
Notebook and Journal FAQs
What is the difference between a diary and a journal?
Many people think that a diary is the same thing as a journal but there’s actually a big difference. A diary is more personal. It ideally records things in your daily life as they happen. A journal on the other hand helps ideas take shape and organize your thoughts. Its contents aren’t necessarily dependent on following the calendar or specific dates. Instead, journals include lists, random thoughts, doodles, song lyrics, and almost anything else you want to record or write.
What are the 5 Rs of note-taking?
- Record: When you’re in a meeting or a lecture, write all relevant and important information legibly.
- Reduce: After a lesson or session, summarize the ideas and facts by using keywords as clues, in a way that helps your retention of key information.
- Recite: Effective studying demands that you recite the information you collected using your own words without reading or looking at your notes.
- Reflect: This is where you think about the ideas and opinion you formed as you over your notes. Ask questions then try answering from different points. It helps to be creative in answering questions, taking part in discussions and writing business papers.
- Review: Before researching or studying other material, take a few minutes to go over your previous notes. Skim through the details and main ideas. Reviewing always improves your retention of past materials while adding information from your most recent research to your memory.
How do you keep an effective journal and notebook?
Having the goods doesn’t make you an expert at taking down notes or journaling for business overnight. At Template.net, we make sure that our experts create high-quality templates designed to provide our customers with the best resources. Template.net helps entrepreneurs fulfill both short and long-term goals, whether it’s for having an easier way to organize or record ideas necessary for brand building, marketing, and overall growth.