How to Write a Cover Letter?
How to Write a Cover Letter?
Taking time and effort to write a cover letter is important, as it is defining factor that makes a huge difference between getting an interview or getting your application turned down by the hiring party. Your cover letter should have to proper format to effectively showcase your skills and qualities relevant to the job.
Since a cover letter format is a business document, it should follow the format of a standard business letter.
- Font choices – Times New Roman, Calibri, Arial, Verdana
- Font Size – 10 to 12 points
- Spacing – Single
- Margin – 1” on all sides
You may want to check out our website’s cover letter templates to help you get started. Or, better yet, you can download them and edit them just as easily.
Different Types of Cover Letters
We may be familiar of the definition, uses, and importance, but did you know that there are three general types of a cover letter? Each type of cover letter has a unique character, so that is why it is important to choose the type that matches perfectly with your purpose for writing.
- Application letter – used to respond to a job opening or advert
- Prospecting letter – used by an applicant to inquire about possible positions available in an organization
- Network letter – used when seeking information and assistance in job hunting
Do not also forget to check out the hard copy cover letter, cover letters for resumes, and cover letter samples from Template.net.
What to Include in a Cover Letter
No matter what type of cover letter suits your purpose, it is important to make sure that you provide all the necessary information about you professionally. So what should be included in your cover letter?
- Since a cover letter is your form of introduction to a company, you must include your personal information and contact details (name, address, contact number and if possible, email address).
- A correct cover letter salutation also shows you made your research when you address the cover letter to the hiring manager or immediate supervisor of the position for which you’re interested to work.
- It should also explain what makes you interested to seek the position in the company as well as identify your most relevant skills and qualifications.
You are also free to download the professional cover letter examples on our website if you still find it difficult to write a cover letter.
Tips and Advice for Creating a Successful Cover Letter
We bet you’re probably wondering, How can I make my cover letter that will stand out from the rest and make the employer notice my application?
- Research and take some time to gather as much information about the company and the job you are applying. You can use all the relevant information to tailor your application cover letter accordingly to match your skills with the requirements needed by the company or organization.
- Follow the basic business letter format. This shows your professionalism and overall knowledge of the industry.
- Address the letter to the correct person. If possible, take time to know the name of the hiring manager.
- There is no standard rules on the structure of the cover letter. However, just make sure that the details flow in order.
- Make sure to close your letter with “Sincerely Yours,” or “Warm Regards” followed by your name and your signature above your printed name.
Before you leave, you may want to take a look through our Cover Letter Templates in Word and Cover Letters in PDF samples.