Managing the college application letter of prospective college students is a difficult job, especially when the time comes for you to send out college rejection letters to those who have not passed the intense screening process of your university. If you are a university administrator who is tasked to write rejection letters to unqualified applicants, you need to make sure that the letter you send would make the reader accept their defeat easily and with the lightest heart possible.
To help guide you in your letter writing, you may refer to our templates on this page. Scroll down below to view our easily downloadable templates!
College Application Rejection
Admission Rejection Letter
Scholarship Rejection Letter
College Rejection Appeal
What’s in a College Rejection Letter?
A college rejection letter is written to prospective college students who applied for a specific course or for admission in a university. The purpose of writing this letter is to notify said applicant that he/she has not passed the screening process imposed by the university for applicants.
Who Can Write a College Rejection Letter?
A college rejection letter is normally written by a school administrator. It matters little what the job position or job title of the said school administrator since it may vary from school to school. The definitive characteristic of the appropriate person who can write this letter is the nature of his/her job position which naturally entails the responsibility or task of assessing the qualifications of college applicants.
Speaking of rejection letters, you might also be interested in our collections of Offer Rejection Letter Templates which you may use should you have any need to reject an offer being made to you. Whether you are declining a job offer or a business offer/proposal, these templates are perfect for you! In line with this, we also have Job Application Rejection Letters, which you may write to a recruiter when you have decided to reject the job offer being made to you. To access said templates, simply visit our archives!
College Rejection Email
Rejection Letter Response
Rejection Letter from Student
College Rejection Letter Example
How to Write a College Rejection Letter?
Here are some steps which you may follow should you have the need to write a college rejection letter:
- Before anything else, you need to make sure that you are following standard formats in writing formal rejection letters. In order to know the standard format, refer to our templates on this page.
- Write the address of your recipient as well as your address in the heading.
- Formally start your letter by addressing the rejected applicant using his/her full name or surname.
- In the body of your letter, make sure that you go straight to the point by stating clearly that the applicant has not been granted the right to study in your university.
- After that, briefly, enunciate the reason why the unsuccessful applicants has been rejected. You can place here his/her assessment scores and compare it to the standard score set by your university which applicants should get in order to get accepted.
- Then, if it is allowed in your university, you can offer the applicant some remedy for their situation. For example, you may indicate that the applicant can reapply on the next semester. If inapplicable, conclude your letter by offering genuine words of consolation as well as encouragement to apply to other universities.
- Close your letter formally.