When a person wishes to address information to someone else, but isn’t able to do so due to problems such as distance, then they can easily send a letter. The point of making and creating a letter is so that you are able to convey everything that you need to inform to another in the hopes that he/she understands what the letter contains.
However, there are still those who have trouble in creating the right types of letters or who have no idea in how they should go about in creating one. And that’s why this article is going to teach you all that you need to know in regards to making a proper letter.
2540+ Letter Templates in PDF | Word | Excel | Google Docs | Apple Pages | Google Sheets | Apple Numbers -START DOWNLOADING
Elements of a Great Letter
Before you can begin making one, you’ll need to learn about the basic components of a letter. So the following are the things that you’re going to have to include:
- Information on both the sender and receiver – You’ll want to make sure that you address the letter to the right person and that you include all of his/her basic information to ensure that the right person gets it. You’ll also want to include the sender’s (namely yours) basic information so that the receiver will know exactly who it’s from.
- The date – You’re going to want to put in the exact date in which the letter was made. That way, either you or the receiver will be able to find it easily should either of you be required to reference it for specific purposes.
- Proper greeting – The greeting is the first thing that the receiver is going to see upon inspecting the letter’s body and whatever you’ve written will set the tone of the whole letter. So be sure that you know exactly what type of letter you wish to come up with so that you can figure out the appropriate greeting you should go for.
- Purpose of the letter – Anybody who’s going to receive a letter will want to know exactly why they received it in the first place. So what you’re going to have to do is to thoroughly explain to the receiver all of the information that you wish to share via the contents of the letter.
- Signature of the sender – The point of providing the sender’s signature is to help the receiver guarantee that the letter did indeed come from the person who claims to have seen it. This can be used in the event that the signature has to be cross-referenced to prove the identity of the sender.
10 Letter Templates
Letter Head Design
Disciplinary Action Letter
How to Create a Letter
Now that you’ve learned about the basic components of a letter, then the next thing that you’re going to have to do is to learn how you should go about in making one. No matter what kind of letter you end up creating, the steps that will be presented will undoubtedly help you.
So here are the things that you’re going to have to do in order to come up with a proper and professional letter:
Start With the Basic Information
When you begin making the letter, you’re going to have to provide the basic information of both the sender and the receiver. Again, the reason as to why you’ll have to provide both is so that the receiver will know exactly who sent it, and so that the sender can ensure that the letter gets to the right person.
Here is a list of the basic information that you should definitely include in the letter:
- The names of both the sender and receiver – If you want to know exactly who the letter is from and who it’s for, then the best way to do that is by providing names. Whether it’s that of the sender or the receiver, you’re going to have to make sure that your right their complete names. This includes their first name, last name, and middle initial so that readers will know exactly who plays what role. If the sender of the letter is from a company, then just state the company’s complete name.
- The addresses of both parties – Placing the receiver’s address will ensure that the letter makes its way to the place where it reaches the right hands. Having the sender’s address will allow the receiver to visit the establishment that the letter came from should there be any concerns. Just make sure that you include everything from the street name, block number, floor number, and other details to ensure that the letter contains the complete address of both parties.
Write a Proper Greeting
Next is that you’ll have to include a proper greeting to the person that you’re sending to. Be sure to include a phrase such as “Dear Mr./Mrs…” so that you can point out exactly who the letter is being addressed to.
Then you have to consider how you want to start your letter. Remember that the greeting is what will set the tone. For example, if want to create a letter related to employment, then you should go with a greeting that’s formal. How you wish to greet the receiver will depend on what you feel is the best way to do so. Just be sure it’s appropriate for the type that you plan on sending.
Write Down the Purpose of the Letter
After you’re done with the greeting, then the next step is to point out the purpose as to why you made and sent the letter. You want to be really clear when presenting whatever information you want to show the receiver to ensure that he/she understands the letter’s purpose. This also means that you must provide the necessary information that will help you with your purpose.
For example, if you were to send an employment letter, then you have to include details such as why this person was chosen as the top candidate and where the final interview will be held.
Provide the Necessary Signature
And lastly, be sure to include your signature at the bottom of the letter along with your complete name. In the event that the letter came from a company representative, then you must also include that person’s complete job title alongside the name. So long as both the signature and the name is present, then there should be no questions regarding the identity of the sender.
Tips for Making Your Letter
- Be precise and thorough with what you want to say – While creating the body of your letter, you have to make sure that whatever it is that you have to say is straight to the point, and that you’re able to explain it in full detail to the sender. This means that you’ll need to provide all of the information that the receiver will need to hear, as well as in a way that he/she can easily understand.
- Be consistent with the tone of the letter – If you’re going to go with a formal tone, then stick with that all throughout the entire letter. This can be said with any tone that you wish to go for. Just be consistent with how you word everything with the tone that you’re trying to set.
- Check for any errors – If you want your letters to look as professional as possible, then you’re going to have to fix all grammar and spelling errors the moment that you see them. It’s best that you check on the letter at least twice to ensure that you don’t miss out on any mistakes.
Types of Letters
Now that there are many different types of letters and all have them have their own specific purposes. Here are a few examples:
If you would like to learn about the other types of letters, then all you have to do is to go through our site.
If you’re going to make a letter, then you should know that there’s usually a standard size that you’re going to have to follow to ensure that it’s able to contain all of the information you wish to present. Here’s what you’re going to have to follow:
- At least 3-1/2 inches high x 5 inches long x 0.007 inch thick.
- No more than 6-1/8 inches high x 11-1/2 inches long x 1/4 inch thick.
Is There a Specific Format I Should Follow?
This depends entirely on the type of letter that you’re making. Just go with a letter format that’s appropriate for the information you want to present and one that looks organized.
Is There Any Way for Me to Easily Check for Spelling/Grammar Errors?
Yes, there are lots of proofreading software that you can utilize to help you. You can even make use of sites that can do it for you for free.
Is There an Easy Way for Me to Make Letters?
Yes, you simply need to find the right letter template and customize it however you please. You can even use the ones presented here if you like.
If you want to see other documents that you could possibly create, then you simply need to visit Template.net to help you find what you need. Just be sure that you’re able to read whatever articles you’ve chosen thoroughly so that you can make the most out of what they have to present.