10+ Simple Purchase Order Templates
There will come a time where a customer would like to purchase particular items from a company that has what he/she wants. Should that be the case, then the person or company that has to push through with the order will need something that will provide details such as what items are going to be delivered and how much it will all cost.
The perfect tool for this would happen to be a purchase order as it has everything that you’ll want to know about a transaction. And that’s why this article is going to teach you all that you need to know in order to properly make one.
Elements of a Good Purchase Order
The first thing that you’re going to have to do is to learn about the basic elements of a purchase order. Remember that you want it to be able to point out all of the information that a person would need in regards to a transaction, meaning that you have to make sure that all of the information is present. And how do you do that? By making sure all of the elements are there.
So with that in mind, here are the basic elements that you must include in order to come up with a proper purchase order:
1. Billing Details: The first thing that you’re going to have to do is to point out the details to who the order will be billed to. This is to ensure that the right person is going to be paying for whatever is ordered. So it’s here where you’ll want to write the name of the person or company (as well as the company’s representative), the address in which they’re located, and their contact details.
2. Shipping Details: This would be the details of where all of the ordered products will be delivered to. This is just as important as the billing details as a person who has paid for what was ordered must receive the purchased in the exact place that he/she needs them to be. So what you’ll have to do here is to make sure that the purchase order contains information such as the name to who the products should be shipped to, the shipping address, etc.
3. Item Details: Once you’re doing pointing out the billing and shipping details, then the next is that the receipt should have details regarding whatever was ordered. It’s here where you’ll need to be able to provide the description of each item, the amount that you have to pay for each, the quantity in which they were ordered, and the total amount that needs to be paid.
4. Date: You’ll have to point out when the order was made as there might come a time where the information is needed. So make sure that you write the complete date down so that there won’t be any concerns regarding when the order was made.
10+ Purchase Order Samples
Blank Purchase Order Sample
Free Purchase Order Sample
Sample Purchase Order Template Format
Free Simple Purchase Order Template
Standard Purchase Order Sample
Construction Purchase Order Format
International Purchase Order Example
Retail Purchase Order Template
Vehicle Purchase Order Template
Free Purchase Order Confirmation Template
How to Make a Purchase Order
Now that you have managed to learn about the basic elements of a simple purchase order, then the next step is to learn how you should go about in making one. Although you already know what should be inside the purchase order, there are still things that you are going to have to do to ensure that it contains all of the information it needs.
So with that in mind, here are the steps that will allow you to come up with a proper purchase order:
1. Know Who the Order Should be Billed and Shipped To: This is something that you’ll want to know right away before you even begin making the purchase order. It’s very important that you provide details on both as you want to make sure that the items make its way to the right place and that all of the things that need to be paid are handled by the right person.
So when providing both the billing and shipping information, you have to make sure that the following are included:
- Names: Remember that you’ll want the names of the person/company that you’re shipping or billing the services to. When writing down the name of the person, you have to make sure that the first name, last name, and even the middle initial is included.
- Addresses: You will be required to write down the addresses for both the billing and shipping details. This is especially important for the shipping details as you want to make sure that the items are delivered to the right place. Ensure that information such as the name of the city, state, and even the zip code are all included to guarantee that everything makes its way to the person or company that was meant to receive it.
- Contact Details: This is something that you’ll want to have as there might come a time where either the person who’s handling the payment or receiving the delivery must be contacted. Have them both provide their phone numbers and email addresses to ensure that there’s more than just one way to communicate with them.
2. Proceed With Writing the Details of the Purchase: It’s here where you go into more detail in regards to whatever it is that the customer or client wishes to purchase. When writing all of it down, be sure to include the following:
- Item Description: It’s here where you’ll need to write down the full, legal description of whatever the customer or client wishes to purchase. Also, you’ll want to place the quantity that has been ordered as that can affect the total price.
- Unit Price: Remember that each individual item will have its own price, meaning that you’re going to have to list down all of the prices for every item that you place in the standard purchase order.
- Total Amount: If there’s more than one purchase of a particular item, then you’ll need to place the total amount of that particular purchase. And once you’ve managed to finish listing down all of the individual prices, then the last thing that you need to do is to get the total amount for all items that have to be paid for.
Tips for Making a Purchase Order
- Follow a format: Before you begin making one, you have to be aware of the format that you to follow. This is very important as following a format will essentially ensure that all of the information the purchase order needs is actually present, while at the same time ensuring that it’s all shown in a professional manner. If you’re having trouble figuring out how to go about the format, then you simply need to go through the many different purchase order samples that can be found online and use them as a reference.
- Check for mistakes: The last thing that you want to have happened is to list down the wrong item or send everything to the wrong person. To avoid such issues, then it’s best that you check for any mistakes that you have to correct. It’s best that you go through the purchase order at least twice to ensure that you can spot and immediately fix any mistakes that you may have missed.
Types of Purchase Order
You should know that there are many different types of purchase orders and that each of them are meant for different types of orders. It’s best that you learn what these types of purchase orders so that you’ll have an idea as to which one you should make for the right transaction. So here are a few examples:
- Construction Purchase Order
- International Purchase Order
- Retail Purchase Order
- Vehicle Purchase Order
If you want to learn about the other types that you can make, then you simply need to go through our site to get the information that you need.
Purchase Order Sizes
When you have to make a purchase order, you should know that the standard size for one would be that of an A4 or US. This would typically be around 8.5 by 11 inches. It’s best that you stick with this particular size as it will make the purchase order look more professional.
Purchase Order FAQs
What Can I Use to Make One?
One of the best tools that you can possibly use would have to be a Word program as they usually have everything that you need in order to properly make one. It’s all a matter of preference as you’ll want to download and install the one that you think you’re the most comfortable with in using.
Is There an Easy Way to Make One?
Yes, there is. All you have to do is to download a purchase order template, use the program you’ve installed to open it, and then make whatever changes you want until it has all the information you want it to have. You can make use of the templates available in this article should you wish to do so.
So long as you make use of all of the information that is presented in this article, then you don’t have to worry about not being able to make a proper purchase order.