A short story or a novel will not be complete without the right characterization. Most writers struggle with making character outlines. It can be a complicated process considering that the characters and their features and dynamics affect the overall flow of the story. Like project outline templates, character outline comes in different variations depending on the theme and structure of the story.
Similar to essay outlines and research project outline that ensure that each element supports the overall arguments and objectives of the paper, character outlines must empower the characteristics of the character and how it will shape the flow of the story or novel. Indeed, character outlines matter and you must ace the framework behind them.
24+ Outline Templates in PDF | Word | PSD | Google Docs | Apple Pages -START DOWNLOADING
Novel Character Outline Template
How to Create Character Outline
If you are engaging yourself with character outlining, it is very important to have something to refer to like outline templates, or if it’s going to be a project not about character, the a project outline template is surely great for you. For more ideas, you may refer to the following basic steps in building a character outline.
- Establish the characteristics and key features of the character. The first step to creating a character outline is thinking of getting inside of your character’s head. You need to clearly outline the decided features of the character and how they will affect the story. Furthermore, physical attributes are the first thing people usually notice at first glance. It is very important that in the very beginning you’ve been able to inculcate what your specific character looks like.
- Consider the relationship and interactions between the characters. Bear in mind that the actions and movements of the characters are also interdependent with the actions of the other characters. Ensure that everything is in line with the core message of the story.
- Make your character original and unique. One way of making your character stand out and memorable is by giving them special and unique mannerisms or habits.
However, it will truly depend on the type of story you’re dealing with and its holistic dynamics.
Blank Character Outline
Character Profile Outline
Importance of Character Outlining
Character outlining is much more like project and training course outline template, which are being subjected to variety of frameworks and thorough decision-making. Character outlining is about giving value to the birth of a character. It is basically the first step of making characters come to life. Outlining characters is necessary because the characters drive and trigger the whole story’s conflicts, tensions, and resolutions. It is considered as the heart of the story. Other than this, here are some reasons why character outlining is vital.
- Character outlining helps the author position his thoughts, ideas, and feelings. Outlining is used to prevent waste of time and resources due to cluttered and disorganized ideas and thoughts. Outlining makes it easy for the author to sort out his priorities for the betterment of the story as a whole.
- Dynamic and unique characters are developed through character outlining. Because protagonists and antagonists are born through the process of outlining, therefore another character is developed from a specific character. That is how just amazing it works!
In sum, character outlining paved the way to creating dynamic and grounded characters. Characters that provide avenues for the readers to relate and connect to the story.