A receipt is one of the most seen, most used, most generated forms in the business world. It can take various forms—the most common being a sales receipt (or a bill of sale), invoices, and general receipt samples forms such as donation receipts. The key function of any receipt is to serve as the official proof and confirmation of an exchange.
Naturally, you’ll want your own forms for whatever business you have going. It being the most common form out there, a good Receipt Template can often be enough to save you from unnecessary drafting time and effort. Consider this list of free download samples as just one accessible reference point.
45+ Accounting Services Templates in PDF, Word, Excel, PSD, Google Docs, InDesign, Apple Pages, Google Sheets, Publisher, Apple Numbers, Illustrator - START DOWNLOADING
Blank Receipt Template
Blank Sales Receipt Template
Blank Restaurant Receipt Template
Blank Donation Receipt Template
Blank Invoice Receipt Certification Template
The Different Kinds of Receipt
First you must determine what the receipt is for—what kind of transaction or exchange is it meant to be proof of?
It can be a sales receipt, an invoice, or a money receipt.
- Sales receipts are basically bills of sale. Whatever form these take, they act merely as proof of a sales transaction. This can be for individual retail service, or bulk orders (a common type of Restaurant Receipt Template).
- An invoice is a bit different in that it is issued before the payment, while sales receipts are issued after. The invoice is used to track the sale of goods or services until delivery and payment.
- Then there is the Money Receipt Template, which merely serves as proof that a deposit has been received. This can be used to certify donations made to charities.
To help you get started in drafting any of these kinds of receipts, you can download these samples as free Doc/Docx or PDF references, or even as ready-made templates if you find that they adequately fit your need.
Blank Taxi Receipt Template
Blank Cash Receipt Template
Blank Receipt for Services
Blank Delivery Receipt Template
How to Draft Receipts
These free samples should make the job easier for you, no matter what kind of receipt you’ll need. That said, there are ground rules for each before they can be considered as complete and legitimate.
When drafting sales receipts and invoices, take care to include all relevant information pertaining to the transaction (that has taken place or yet to take place), such as
- a header stating the receipt and its purpose;
- details of both buyer and seller (name/company, address, contact information, signatures);
- for invoices, include invoice number and unique identifier that helps you keep track of your purchase;
- date of transaction;
- list of goods and/or services purchased (service receipts might vary slightly from material goods purchases; see Contractor Receipt Template for more on drafting service receipts in particular);
- terms and conditions of the sale;
- total amount due, payment agreements; and
- any add-ons that apply.
Drafting a donation receipt is simplicity itself. You would basically require
- details of recipient (name of the organization, address);
- details of grantor (name, organization, address, signature);
- itemized list of donation (cash or items); and
- date of donation.