People keep on looking for the right way on how to create a progress report—or any report, for that matter. They look into various report writing formats that might be ideal for them or for their tasks. But how does one really arrive at an efficient report? Suggestions would tell you it’s all about how much work is done and how accurate it was tracked.
218+ FREE REPORT Templates - Download Now Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word (DOC), Excel, Adobe Photoshop (PSD), Google Docs, Apple (MAC) Pages, Google Sheets (SPREADSHEETS), Apple Numbers, Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Illustrator (AI)
Alongside an efficient report, you would also be able to come up with a comprehensive formal report. How you choose to create or basically how you format your progress report would really matter. The ideal report always complements your preferred way of drafting one.
If you’re confused or don’t know where to start with your report, read on below to learn great tips and tricks into writing or formatting a report.
Why Do We Write Reports?
People write reports to be able to produce a tangible output about a certain task or assignment. While others prefer soft copies of their reports, it is important that there is a concrete proof of how one goes about his or her responsibilities.
Here are a few common reasons why people write reports:
- Proof. Reports could serve as proof as to how much one has worked on a certain task. The work done may not directly reflect on the overall progress, but if you put it into close monitoring, your reports could hold proof that you have been working on whatever is assigned to you.
- Communicate information. Even if reports are not directly significant to many, it is an ideal way of communicating and relaying information. That said, it is easy to track on what has been done to achieve a certain task. It could also be an effective tool used to reach out to whoever needs the information you have generated.
- Monitor a trend. Whether you are expecting a trend or not out of the reports you are doing, you are implied to monitor certain trends from of your own progress. Trends let you know whether or not what you’re doing is bad or good so that you can make plans to further improve upon your processes, products, or services.
How to Format a Report
You have to know the basics first before you dig in to a comprehensive way of writing or formatting a progress report. A report writing checklist could help you format your own report.
Keep these points in mind before drafting or formatting your report templates:
- Subject matter. It is important that you take note of what needs to be reported in the first place. A particular subject or idea should be established before you dissect into what other parts of your report document.
- Objective. Based on a report sample template that you could download from our page, you need to have an objective first as to what you aim to achieve. It needs to be comprehensively written so you would be reminded of why you started with your report firsthand.
- Results. No matter how irrelevant your results could possibly turn out, you would still need to include the results of your report. Basically, a report in itself resembles results, and all you have to do is properly elaborate on every datum there is.
As you can observe below, our report sample templates follows directly on how you write or format a report. It would not take so much of your time to download and edit our templates for your personal use.