There are times when an employee is given the task of collecting important information on a particular subject. It doesn’t matter what that may be, all that does matter is that the employee manages to look into every single detail and submit it to the person that has provided him/her with the task.
The one document that’s meant to contain all of that information would be a report. This article is going to teach you all that you need to know about how you can go about making your very own report document.
Elements of a Report
If you are going to make your own report, then the first thing that you need to learn would be the basic elements. They are what’s needed in order for the document to be able to do what it is supposed to: To provide people with all of the details regarding a particular subject matter. This guarantees that your report covers everything that it is supposed to.
So with that, here are the elements that you must include in every report you make:
1. Title: Every report that you end up making should have an appropriate title. This is because the title is what’s used to give readers an idea as to what the report contains, as well as tell them about the document’s purpose. When making it, you have to make sure that it is directly related to its intended purpose. For example, let’s say that you need to do a report on a business trip. You can go with titles such as “Annual Business Trip Report” or even “Company Business Trip Report”.
2. Basic Information: Those who will be receiving the document will want to know exactly who is responsible for its creation. What this means is that the person responsible for creating the report will have to provide his/her basic information. If you are the person who made it, then the first thing to do is to put in your complete name. Then you’ll have to provide any other required information such as your job title and the department that you are from.
3. Date: There are instances wherein it is important to remember when exactly the report was made. It could be because one needs to recall and pull out the file or it’s to prove exactly when it was made. When writing down the date, be sure to include the month, day, and year so that there won’t be any questions or misunderstandings when it comes to the date of its creation.
4. Subject Matter Details: No matter what kind of report you end up making, you will have to make sure that it has all of the details it needs. This will depend on the type of report you have to make. For example, let’s say that you have to make an accident report due to an employee getting injured in the workplace. You’ll have to include details such as who that employee is, what injuries he/she sustained when it happened and so on. Just know what kind of report you have to make so that you’ll know what details you are going to have to include.
12+ Report Templates in Apple Pages
Company Report Template
Market Research Report
Project Progress Report
Incident Report Template
Project Management Report
Annual Business Report
Business Trip Report
Employee Incident Report
Annual Sales Report
Church Report Template
Formal Report Template
Monthly Report Template
Annual Report Template
How to Make a Report
The next thing that you are going to have to learn would be the steps that allow you to make your report. Although you already know about the basic elements, you still have to make sure that whatever information that you put into the report will be presented in a way that’s both professional and easy to understand.
So knowing that, here are the steps that will allow you to come up with a proper report:
1. Make Use of Apple Pages: If you are going to make a report in Apple Pages, then know that you will need to gain access to the program. It should be noted that Apple Pages can only be used by iOS devices such as Macs. So if you do not have such a device, then it is best that you make use of other programs to help you come up with your report. If you can access Pages, then be sure to do the following:
- Click on the “Pages: icon.
- Choose from the list of templates that you want to use in order to make your report.
- Click Choose to open a new document by using the template you selected.
If you like, you can also use the same process to help you come up with other documents.
2. Create Your Report: Now that you know how to use Pages to make your report, you must now learn what it is that you should put in the document. So here are the things that you are going to have to do:
- Know the purpose of the report: If you want to make sure that you are able to cover all of the details that you’re required to put into the report, then you’ll need to learn about the purpose of the document. This means you’ll have to answer the question “What is the report going to be used for?” Knowing this will not only help you understand what details you shouldn’t forget but also in coming up with the title of your report.
- Be sure to address it to the right person: There are instances wherein you have to put in the exact name of the person to whom the report should be given to. All you have to do here is to point out that person’s complete name, as well as other information such as the department of where it needs to be sent to or that person’s job title.
- Provide any needed additional details: This will depend entirely on the type of report that you have to make. Just know what kind of report that is so that you’ll know what details you are going to have to include.
Tips for Making a Report
1. Think about the format of your report: If you want to make sure that the report that you end up making can easily be read and understood, then you will need to consider what format you should go for. This means you need to think about the font and font size you are going to use, as well as how you should present the information. To help you out, you just need to check out the many different samples of reports and use them as references for the kind of format you should go for.
2. Check for any inconsistencies: The last thing that you want to submit is a report that contains a lot of errors and/or inconsistencies. To avoid that, all you have to do is to go through the entirety of your report to check and see if there are any errors that you need to fix. It’s best that you do a double-check to ensure that you don’t miss out on anything you have to change or remove.
Types of Report
Now that you know the basic elements of a report and how to make one, the next thing that you are going to have to learn would be the different types. Considering the fact that you might need to report on different subject matter, then it stands to reason that there are different types of reports that you can make. Knowing what they are will guarantee that you make the right type of report when needed. So knowing that, here are a few examples:
- Annual Sales Report
- Assessment Report
- Market Research Report
- Management Report
- Business Trip Report
- Employee Incident Report
- Company Report
If you would like to learn more about the different types of reports that you can make, or if you would like to learn about other documents, then you simply need to go through our site and search the articles that contain the information you want.
When Submitting a Report, Should I Provide a Physical or Digital Copy?
This will depend entirely on the person who requested that you make the report in the first place. However, it is always best that you have both a physical and digital copy on standby as you will never know when you might need one or the other.
Is There an Easy Way to Make a Report?
Yes. One of the easiest ways of making a business report, or any other document for that matter, is by making use of a template. If you do not like starting from scratch, then all you have to do is find and download the template that you want to use. Considering that there is a variety of them, you just need to choose which one meets your needs and then make the necessary changes in order for it to contain the information you want it to have. If you like, you can make use of the templates that are available in this article.
So long as you make use of all the information that this article has provided you, then being able to come up with a report efficiently and effectively is entirely possible.