There are several job applicants who spend a lot of time in creating their resumes but still end up getting rejected by employers. In most cases, resumes are turned down, not because of the applicant’s qualification, but because of its format and the way it was written. To avoid this type of rejection, following the structure of resume format templates will definitely help.
Since the way a resume is presented and written also matter, you need to take into consideration different resume types. Professional resumes are presented with an attached cover letter as well. This mentions the kind of job, skills, and experiences an applicant has, which, done right, encourages the reader to read the resume more thoroughly.
1. Top Tips for Writing Resumes
Writing critical documents like that of a resume is surely not an easy task. You have to make sure that the order, content, and language properly follow the resume format.
- Choose the right resume format, a basic font, font size, and resume type.
- Include all the pertinent and necessary contact information Then add up a resume profile or a resume objective. If you want to be as specific as possible then a resume objective is preferable.
- Prioritize your content by listing down the most relevant experience and skills to the least relevant once.
- Do not be too wordy. The purpose of your resume is to catch the attention not completely explain the details of your entire career life.
- You should be keen in choosing with words and language to use, especially the keywords.
- There should be a purpose statement that would be directly addressed to the employer or to the human resource.
- Awards and accomplishments should be highlighted in the resume to impress the target employer.
- Your resume should not exceed two pages, a one-page resume is enough.
- Do not include personal information such as hobbies, talents, and photos that are too irrelevant.
2. Common Resume Mistakes to Avoid
If you are aiming for a good and flawless resume that would grab an employer’s attention then it is a must to avoid committing mistakes in the process of writing one and adhere to a resume format template or choose a printable resume template that would surely make you feel at ease.
The following are the things you should avoid doing on your resume:
- Grammatical errors and typos are the most obvious flaws a reader will immediately notice. This may sound light and easy but it would surely contribute to the weakness of your resume.
- Lack of specifications and clear definition of some words. With regards to accomplishments, employers must have a clear understanding of the things you have accomplished.
- Taking keywords for granted is one of the mistakes you should avoid. Keywords are very significant in the job description because they’re supposed to be repeated for easier recognition in a specific industry.
- Another resume mistake is being too wordy. Remember to not fill in the whole one or two pages with words, there has to be a white space that will remain in the document.
- Being too vague on your resume is also inappropriate because you will only keep our reader hanging not knowing why and what you actually mean.
Career hunting is not easy as A-B-C. It takes careful resume creation and a thorough understanding of the said document to be able to come up with a good output.