There are some people who have disabilities which prevent them from remembering the proper order of certain events, which can then lead to them becoming anxious or overwhelmed, which can then lead to certain behavioral problems. So, in order to help these people, there is a particular method that should help them remember what needs to be done in proper order. You may also see blank schedule templates.
This is what you would call a visual schedule. A visual schedule is a line of pictures, objects, or words that represent different transitions during a day. And, this article is going to teach you all you need to know as well as how to make the visual schedule. You may also see daily schedule templates.
If you have a family member with problems such as autism and that they have difficulty in remembering the sequences of certain actions, then it’s best that you provide that person with a visual schedule. You may also see blank work schedule templates.
So, here are the steps that should be able to help you make one:
1. Break the individual’s day into multiple steps. Once you’re done doing that, then you’ll need to represent all of these steps through the use of pictures or words. You may also like monthly schedule templates.
2. Be conscious of all the details regarding all the different movements that the individual makes throughout the entire day. This way, you’ll know what it is you’ll have to include into the visual schedule, and that involves both the major and minor movements that the individual makes. You may also like hourly schedule templates.
3. Represent each activity. By doing this, you can ensure that the individual that you’re making the visual schedule for will know what to expect during the day. You should put down all activities such as those that are physical or mental, as well as the breaks that the individual will need to have. You may also like study schedule templates.
4. You’ll have to determine the best kind of visual format that will suit the skills of the individual. By catering to the visual schedule to the individual’s strengths, you can make sure that you’re able to develop that person’s interests, distractibility, and functionality in day-to-day activities. Also, having a visual schedule that will attract the individual is one of the best ways of guaranteeing that he/she sticks to it. You may also see day schedule templates.
5. Determine how the visual schedule will be used in order to determine what activities that individual has already managed to complete and the activities that are yet to be done. Also, you have to make sure that it’s able to completely explain to the individual as to how he/she will be able to make the transition to and from the visual schedule in a word.
6. Remember to provide the individual with a standard phrase that will help them know what should be done. A good example would be providing them with a phrase “check schedule” so that the individual will immediately look at the schedule to see what has to be done next. You may also see weekend schedule templates.
7. Prompt the individual to look at or point to the first activity of the day, and then proceed to give him/her the location as to where the activity has to be done. This is very important as both pieces of information will be required in order for the individual to function in proper accordance with whatever action needs to be done during the day. You may also see weekly schedule templates.
8. Once the individual has managed to complete the activity, you must then provide another prompt that will tell the individual to look back at the schedule and continue with the next activity that needs to be done. This process needs to continue all the way until all activities for the day has been completed. You may also see schedule template Examples.
9. After the individual has finished all activities for the day, you may then prompt the individual to take a break and wait for the next day for him/her to read the schedule yet again.
There isn’t just one type of visual schedule as there are many different ones that you can choose to use. However, you also have to be sure that the type of visual schedule that you decide to use will cater to the individual that you’re making the schedule for. Because if it doesn’t, then it’s very unlikely that the individual would want to read through the items that can be found in the visual schedule. You may also see travel schedule templates.
So, here are the different examples of visual schedules that you can make:
This is the most visually appealing out of all the other as this is the type that makes use of picture icons or photographs to illustrate all of the activities that one needs to be able to do within the day. For some individuals, it is most appropriate to have them check their schedule, complete the activity, and then return to the schedule to remove the picture and place it somewhere like a small envelope or box to indicate that the activity has already been completed. Others do better when they check their schedule and then take the picture card to the location of the activity that needs to be done. This method is good for the individual as it helps him/her remained focused on where he/she needs to go. Picture schedules can be arranged in either a vertical or horizontal manner, but just make sure that you arrange it in a way that’s catered to the person you’re creating it for.
As individuals become stronger readers, it may be appropriate for you to make use of word schedules to tell the individual of the different activities that he/she has to participate in. If an individual has been on a picture schedule previously, it may help to fade the pictures out and use words as the visual cue in telling what the individual will need to do. Specifically, begin printing words on the picture schedule cards and, over time, increase the size of the words while simultaneously decreasing the size of the pictures. This way, you can create a process where the individual will no longer require the aid of photographs or images, but instead, use words and reading to help understand what needs to be done.
Sometimes there are people who prefer to just simply pull off the visual aids from the schedule to know that the task is complete. The process makes it easy to focus on which activity is next as all the other activities have been removed from the schedule. So, if you think that the individual benefits the most from this type of this visual schedule, then you should definitely consider creating this. You may also like free schedule templates.
In a check off schedule, all activities are listed on a piece of paper. Depending upon the reading level of the individual, it may be better to make use of images rather than words, or you can use a combination of both to represent activities. A square should be next to each activity so the individual can “check off” activities as soon as they are completed. This format allows the individual to see what s/he has already completed, as well as seeing the activities that are yet to be done. This format can be distracting for some individuals, however, so it’s not always recommended to use it. You may also see yearly schedule templates.
Among all the other examples of visual schedules, this is the one where an individual is not required to keep coming back to the specific area just to learn about the activities that need to be done within the day. For some individuals, it may be more appropriate to teach a mobile schedule as it’s very convenient. All one has to do is bring this from one location to the next until all the activities for the day have been completed. Mobile schedules may be check-off (or cross off) schedules written on paper and placed on clipboards or in binders or pull-off schedules located on a small but sturdy surface. You may also see rehearsal schedule templates.
Remember that visual schedules are aimed at giving certain people with disabilities with a way to help know what it is they have to be doing and what it is they have already managed to do. Now that you’ve learned about the many different types of visual schedules that you can possibly make, as well as the steps that should allow you to create them, then be sure that you use the information you’ve gathered to create the perfect visual schedules for the people that need them. You may also see master schedule templates.
In the event that you would like to learn more in regards to creating visual schedules or if you want to learn how to create other types of schedule samples, then all you have to do is go through our site, find the articles that contain all the information you need, and utilize the information you have been able to gather to help you out.