Being able to keep track of time is essential if one wishes to know when certain tasks need to be started and finished. This is especially true for those businesses which have numerous employees and who are required to take note of the amount of time they spend on each client they deal with. You may also see sheet templates.
The one document that’s best in helping on do proper time management would be a professional timesheet. This article is going to teach you all that you need to know about how you can go about in creating your own.
12+ Professional Timesheet Templates
Professional Timesheet Template
Sample Timesheet Template
Simple Timesheet Template
Elements of a TimeSheet
A sheet document that’s specifically meant to help one manage or keep track of time will require important pieces of information in order for it to serve its purpose. And that is why you’ll need to learn the basic elements of a timesheet so that in the event that you have to create one, you can guarantee that you’re able to put everything it needs to help you. Those elements would be the following:
1. Employee Identity: Your timesheet won’t be able to do things like allocate work hours if you don’t even know the identity of your own employees. Among large workforces, some employers assign identification numbers and include a field for this information within the document. Be sure that there are enough spaces for your employees to put in whatever information is required from them.
2. Activity Information: This would be a list of the different types of activities that are done by a particular employee or ones that are conducted with a client. It’s definitely useful for taking note of just how much an employee should be paid or how much a client is required to pay based on what was done within a certain period of time. Be sure to point out the specific type of activity that was done; you may even assign abbreviations to certain activities so that it’ll make it much easier to fit them into the timesheet.
3. Time and Billing Data: A timesheet document that does not contain information on the amount of time spent on a particular activity is basically useless. Whatever timesheet you end up creating must report the start and stop times of the activities, their duration or even both. If it’s specifically designed for keeping track of activities with clients, then it must contain information regarding how much a particular client should be billed. The amount will depend on how a business prices its services to the clients that avail them.
Professional Timesheet Sample
Free Weekly Timesheet Template
Free Employee Timesheet Template
Hourly Timesheet Sample
Free Construction Time Sheet
Bi-Weekly Time Sheet Example
Weekly Employee Time Sheet Template
Sample Contractor Timesheet Template
Monthly Timesheet Template
Lawyer Timesheet Template
How to Create a Timesheet
Next would be the steps that will allow you to create a proper timesheet. They are as follows:
1. Have access to Microsoft Excel: Although there are many programs that allow you to create a timesheet in Excel, the easiest one to use would be aptly titled Microsoft Excel. If you already have it, then here are the first things that you’ll need to do.
- Open Microsoft Excel.
- Go to the File tab and select “New”.
- Choose through the selection of the timesheet templates that you want to use or you may decide to start making one from scratch.
Take note that the same process can be used to create other types of sheets in Excel.
2. Define your labels and date ranges: The next thing that you will need to do is to figure out what information your timesheet will need to contain. Majority of the ones being made will have a field for inputting the names of employees or clients, the time period that the timesheet should cover (days, weeks, months), and possibly the name of the department and its manager.
You may also provide fields for other important information such as social security numbers, employee IDs whenever you think they are needed. Just remember that it’s always best to keep things simple.
3. Use columns to break up the days: Use the different columns in Excel to break up the days that the entire timesheet should be covering. You can do this to separate the different employee shifts so that you can better manage their time.
4. Calculate daily working hours: To add up the hours that are worked on in a single day, you’ll need to come up with a formula for your timesheet. Insert a simple =SUM(column number + row number) formula so that whatever number of hours is inputted in one of the cells, it will automatically be added into the “total” field.
5. Calculate the total weekly hours: To get the total hours your employee worked in a week, you will need to add up all the daily total hours for that week. You’ll have to pick a cell where you want the weekly total count to be displayed and insert another SUM formula.
Tips for Making a Timesheet
- Always know the schedule of your employees: If the main purpose of the timesheet you’re going to create is to keep track of the hours worked by employees, then you’ll need to know their schedules. Take note of the ones you have to manage and see what time they’re supposed to be in and out of work, as well as the number of hours they should put in.
- Organize the list of clients: Should the timesheet be meant for taking note of the clients you need to provide services to, then you’ll want to organize all of them based on priority. Be sure that you also put in information regarding what services will be provided for each client, as well as the date and time they’re expected.
Types of Timesheets
- Monthly Timesheet
- Daily Timesheet
- Weekly Timesheet
- Employee Timesheet
- Corporate Timesheet
- Hourly Timesheet
Should you wish to learn more about the different timesheets that can be made, then check out our site until you can find the articles with the information you need.
What If I’m not able to access Excel?
If you aren’t able to open the program or if you do not have it due to particular circumstances, then remember that there are always alternatives that you can use. The other most common program to use for making time spreadsheets would be Apple Numbers. Just know that it can only be used by devices with iOS installed.
What’s the easiest way to make a timesheet?
The easiest known method of creating a timesheet, or any type of document, would be through the use of a template. There are so many different timesheet templates that you can choose from that all you have to do is to find the right one that suits your needs.
Utilize the information in this timesheet to guarantee that you’re able to make a timesheet that accurately keeps track of all the days and hours that it needs to.