When it comes to creating signs and notices, it is important to make them as noticeable as possible. And if that is what brought you to our website, then you’re in luck as this article is all about the usefulness of sign templates and how you can apply that to your own sign-making woes.
Shared below are multiple tips on how to design compelling signs and notices. In addition, we are also sharing multiple free and premium sign template designs that can be used for whatever purpose you can think of. Read on…
Before starting any kind of graphic design project, it is essential to orient yourself with what works and what does not work when it comes to designing signs and notices. And to help you with that preparatory phase, we have listed five essential elements or characteristics that one should look for when creating any compelling event or business signs and notices. To find out what these elements are, read on…
1. Typography Design: The lettering style used in sign is important as it is one of the first things that people notice when they see or read a sign or notice. Make sure that the font styles you use are legible by making sure that you have the right font size, font color, and font kerning. Most signs use formal and easy to read fonts since they often announce important and/or urgent information.
2. Color Scheme: Next, in order to create compelling notices and signs, it is best to follow an equally noticeable color scheme. This is especially important if you are creating warning signs. These kinds of signs need to catch a person’s attention at the get-go before they meet unexpected results or events.
3. Relevant Images or Illustrations: Most signs are a combination of images or symbols and a few lines of text. The image is almost always at the forefront of the sign itself and will be the first thing that a person sees. The most compelling signs are the ones that make use of images or illustrations relevant to the message they are conveying. For example, a no smoking sign often uses an illustration of a cigarette. When people see this, they can readily understand that smoking is prohibited without even reading any accompanying text.
4. Text: Even though signs usually include images or illustrations that symbolize the message they are trying to convey, these images are not often easy to understand. That is why, if you want any sign or notice you create to be easily understood by anyone, it is best to include a line translating the image or illustration. When creating or selecting a sign template design, look for one that allows you to add a line of text to the pre-made illustration or image.
5. Direction Markers: Another feature that helps make any sign even more effective is the incorporation of direction markers. This is especially important if you are making wedding signs or event signs as they are created to guide guests towards a specific location. Most pre-made sign templates will include pre-formatted arrows and location markers that you can customize and add to your own design before printing them out. If these direction markers are not present in your sign template file, it is best to create them on your own as they can help make any sign or notice more useful.
So those are the top five essential features or design elements that need to be present in any sign for them to be considered as compelling and highly functional tools. If taking in all these design elements at once is a bit overwhelming, that is alright. You can always bookmark this article and refer back to it at a later date or when it is finally time for you to make your own signs and notices.
As we have mentioned at the start of this article, shown below are multiple examples of sign templates in InDesign file format. Check out each template design and be inspired into personalizing them for your own graphic design projects.
Sometimes, to create the best and most compelling signs and notices, one needs to make use of known tips and hacks that have worked for other people and organizations. It is in this vein that we share with a few more tips for making excellent signs. Study each tip just like how you have studied the core design elements that we have shared at the start of this article.
1. Incorporate your business branding elements: The first design tip we are sharing is for you to add your organization’s or your business’ branding design elements into any sign you are making. This design strategy can be helpful in increasing brand awareness. It can also be used to lend credibility to a sign or notice as it makes the sign appear official and professionally made. To execute this strategy, you may add a small business logo or a business letterhead design.
2. Use high-quality images or illustrations: One of the most important components of a sign are the images or illustrations used to convey the message on the sign. And in order for this message to get across anybody who is reading or looking at the sign, make sure to use high-quality images or illustrations. Also, make sure that you use image files that are available in high-resolution if you intend to resize the design later on.
3. Use a printable sign template: In line with what this article is all about, we highly recommend the use of pre-formatted sign templates. They will save you time and money since you do not have to make a sign template from scratch. Using pre-made sign templates may also be advantageous for those who are not that computer-savvy. With a pre-made template, everything is taken cared of and all you have to do is just to add your business branding elements or other minor details into the template before printing them out.
4. Combine different printing materials: When printing out any sign template, keep in mind that you can use various printing options to make the printed sign appear more attractive or compelling. For example, if you are creating a caution sign for your restaurant parking area, you may use foil printing to make the sign more noticeable and to avoid accidents. More creative printing techniques like embossed printing and stencil printing may also be used for wedding signs.
Discover a whole new world when you apply any or all of the design tips that we have shared above. With the help of these tips, you will more likely have a sign or notice design that you will be proud to showcase and reproduce later on.
Listed below a few types of signs or notices:
There is no standard sign printing size. Template end users may choose whatever paper or printing material size for any signs they are making. In this article, most of the free sign templates we have shared can be resized according to your printing preferences or business needs.
A sign template is a digital file that is made of preset formatting, layout, and style elements needed to make a sign. When Adobe InDesign is used to create them, it is called a sign template in InDesign file format and will have a .indd file extension name.
The main difference between a printed sign and digital signage lies in the way they are created. As its name implies, printed signs are printed on paper or cardstock while digital signages are not printed but are only shown over an electronic screen.
Adobe InDesign is not the only graphic design software that you can use to create sign template designs. Other compatible software tools like Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator may also be used to make them.
Events, business establishments, and other places are more accessible and easier to navigate around with the use of signs and notices. Invest in well-designed ones if you want to think of your customers’ or clients’ welfare. When you do this, you will not only gain their trust but you also promote your business, event, or organization as a safe place for work, leisure, or a combination of both. To check out other examples of business and design templates, feel free to browse through our website.