When it comes to any business, the workforce is basically the ones that are responsible for making sure that day-to-day operations take place. However, those in Human Resources will need to come up with methods in order to retain employees, obtain the ones that the business needs, and figure out how to resolve the gaps in performance-related issues.
This means that one would have to learn all that there is to know to keep, obtain, and understand the workforce. And that’s why this article is going to teach you how to do a proper workforce analysis. You can also read business analysis templates.
Sample Workforce Analysis
Simple Workforce Analysis
Workforce Analysis Report Sample
How to Do a Workforce Analysis
Remember that the entire purpose of doing this type of analysis is so that you are able to gain information on everything that there is to know about your business’s workforce. The more you are able to understand the, the more you can come up with ways to help ensure that you get and create the type of employees your simple business needs, then the better your chances in reaching towards success.
So with that in mind, here are the steps that will allow you to conduct an effective workforce analysis:
1. Understand Your Business’s Current Resources
The first step that you will need to take when conducting this type of analysis is arguably the easiest as a majority of the information should have already been collected somewhere within the organization. What you will need to do is recover the information that’s all about your business’s current resources. It should allow you to evaluate all of the employee and demographic data that will help you identify future business needs, as well as helping you come up with workforce strategies.
Here is a list of all the different types of data that you’re going to have to evaluate, as well as their potential sources:
- Obtain the different demographics of your business’s current workforce. This should include everything from gender, disabilities, full/part-timers, classified/LTE, etc. You can also like miscue analysis templates.
- Where exactly are these jobs located? Figure out all of them.
- Take note of how many people or assigned and are performing each job.
- What is the employee/supervisor ratio? You need to see if there is a good amount of supervisors for the number of employees that they are assigned to. It’s important that you’re able to see if any changes need to be changed with your business’s current ratio. You can also like sample organizational analysis templates.
- What are the pay rates for your current employees?
For turnover information :
- How many people have left their departments? Gather information on just how many people have left each specific department. You may also read an impact analysis.
- For what particular reason did these employees leave their respective departments? You can gain this information by conducting exit interviews right before they leave.
- Where did these employees go? You should take note of where they’re heading towards after leaving your business to give you an idea as to what it is that they’re after, as well as help you come up with ways in which you can retain current employees. You can also like effective business analysis.
- What were their impressions of the work environment before they left? Again, this is information that you can contain by conducting exit interviews. Try to make them point out specifically how they felt about the workplace. This will tell you if anything needs to be changed or improved. You can also like budget analysis templates.
For recruitment information:
- What recruitments have been completed in the last two to three years? Check both your own agency and recruitments done by other agencies in order to gain the information you need on related jobs. You may also see risk analysis templates.
- What kind of recruitment activities were done and what resources were used?
- How many qualified applicants were found? This will tell you just how valuable a specific role is, as well as whether it’s easy to fill up or not. You can also read cash flow analysis templates.
- Where did the most qualified applicants come from?
- What do new employees think of your recruitment practices? This should help you improve the means in which you are able to recruit new employees, as well as ensuring that you are able to get the ones that your business needs.
Other documents for analysis:
- External influences on operations
- External labor market and economic data
2. Evaluate the Future Needs of the Business
It’s very important that you are able to assess the future needs of the business so that you can prepare for when you finally need to make use of them. The earlier you are able to prepare for them, the better. You can also read requirement analysis templates.
So here are a few questions that you should answer so that you’ll know exactly what they are:
- How essential is each job to the business?
- What kind of job functions, if there are any, can be consolidated?
- How many people do you think are going to be needed in the future in order to perform each job in the most efficient way possible? You can also check financial analysis samples.
- What knowledge, skills, competencies, and abilities are needed in order to do these jobs well?
- Are there going to be any changes in technology? Will the ones that your business currently has be enough for the job or are they going to have to be replaced at some point? You may also see business impact analysis templates.
- Is there anything that should be changed in order for certain operation process to be done more efficiently or effectively? You may also read free analysis templates.
- Are there any activities that are not needed or that can be given up without much consequence?
- What are the organization’s strategic objectives?
- What are the organization’s diversity objectives?
Workforce Analysis Guide
Example of Workforce Analysis
3. Compare the Supply and Demand
This is the final step of the workforce analysis that’s pretty straightforward. All you’re going to have to do is to simply take the demand analysis results and match them to your supply results. Any mismatches indicate either a projected unmet need or a surplus, either of which could pose to be a potential challenge. You can also read printable analysis samples.
To fill the gaps between current resources and future needs, use the results of the other core components of your workforce plan so that you can come up with the best possible solutions. You can also see printable project analysis templates.
Here are a couple of examples of some of the approaches that you can take:
- Give some employees who are underperforming or who have obsolete skills the training that they need. That way you can guarantee that they are able to contribute to the business in order for it to reach success in the future. You can also see force field analysis templates.
- Hire and maintain employees who can develop and use ever-changing technology.
- Provide a workplace as well as opportunities that will allow you to retain your employees, especially the ones that have shown to provide the most value. You can also like case analysis templates.
- Train employees in skills that support the agency’s strategic direction to guarantee that they are able to make the most out of the time and resources that they are provided. You may also see customer analysis templates.
- Document the processes, methods, tools, and techniques for positions requiring special skills and responsibilities.
- Determine the best use of a certain job position in order for you to analyze the needs of the business, rather than just refilling the position and not learning anything at all. You may also see situation analysis templates.
- Identify training needs, classification and compensation issues, and any organizational and position changes.
- Research labor market availability of candidates and the different possibilities that will allow you to develop your own ideal employee for certain positions.
- Create affirmative action strategies in an effort to maintain and increase diversity within all of the different departments of the business.
So long as you’re able to follow all of the steps above, you shouldn’t have too much of a problem when it comes to conducting your workforce analysis. You may also like sample needs analysis templates.
If you would like to learn about the other types of analysis that you can conduct, then all you have to do is to go through our site. It has many different articles that should be able to provide you with the help that you need. Just be sure that you are able to read these articles thoroughly so that you can make the most out of them. You can also check out stakeholder analysis templates.