One of the most common ways to herald a service, product, event, or idea is through the use of banners. The more attractive a banner design is, the more positive the impression it creates for an audience or a potential customer. Aside from the traditional printed format, banners are now used as a medium for online advertisements.
And if you are specifically looking for ad banner designs, you are on the corner of the internet as this article compiles everything you need to know about banner designs and templates. Moreover, we also share free and downloadable examples of banner templates and design that anyone may use for school, for work, or for their own business.
113+ Banner Templates in PSD | InDesign | Apple Pages | Illustrator -START DOWNLOADING
Elements of A Good Banner Design
The internet is inundated with advertisement banners that it is often difficult to gauge which ones are effective or not. Most people are now programmed to skim over and disregard these banners especially online. That is why, if you want your banner ad creations to stand out and get you that much-needed customer lead, your banner design should embody the following essential elements:
- Minimal Yet Captivating Text. Most online advertisements are shown in a small space so as not to overcrowd the real content of any given web page. As a marketer or business owner, you need to make use of this small space well by incorporating minimal yet captivating text or ad copy. Take note that some advertising platforms will only allow text and logo designs within a certain percentage.
- Striking Color Scheme. The next important element that should be present in any kind of graphic design project is color. Likewise, the most effective banner design follows a color scheme that easily captures the attention of a website’s visitors without being an eyesore. Banner makers need to find a good balance when it comes to choosing a color palette if they want to end up with an effective online or printed banner design.
- Appropriate Ad Banner Size. Another important element that a banner should have is an appropriate size. There are at least ten different online advertising web banner sizes and countless other sizes for different printed banner sizes. Choose the right size for a banner that will allow it to be noticed first without being too overwhelming.
- Relevant Call-To-Action. Another essential element that any banner should have is to make sure that it contains a relevant Call-To-Action. This refers to the action that you want your customers to do when they see and read your banner’s ad copy. Effective CTAs are the ones that are realistic, action-oriented, and, at the same time, encouraging.
- 150 KB File Size or Less. A less important element of a good banner design is its file size. This element especially applies to online banner ads since a lesser file size means that ad will load easier on web pages. Of course, the bigger the online ad, the bigger the banner’s file size will be. In cases like this, you may have to make up with other factors like improving the website’s average loading speed.
10 Banner Designs
Take a look at these ten free banner designs and templates. All these templates may be downloaded for free if used for personal purposes while an extended license may be acquired if you wish to use them commercially.
Baby Shower Banner Template
Birthday Banner Template
Bridal Shower Banner Sample
Church Banner Template
Elegant Web Banner Design
Engagement Banner Template
Graduation Banner Template
Printable Banner Template
Retirement Party Banner Template
School Banner Template
Step-by-Step Guide For Making an Awesome Banner Design
The key to creating an awesome banner design lies in understanding the basic elements that should work together in any banner design. This is essential so that anyone could more accurately put into paper (or template) what he or she has envisioned for his or her banner design.
To help guide you in this process, we have made a step-by-step guide on how to create that awesome banner design. Internalize each step and an awesome banner design will come naturally to you and your team.
1. Determine what type of banner you want.
The first step in banner design creation is to determine what specific type of banner you need to create. You need to ask yourself if you need to website banner or a printable roll-up banner design. By knowing the difference between the two main types of banners, you can easily focus on the type of banner you are creating.
2. Choose a banner design theme or motif.
The next step is to choose a design theme or motif. A theme is important in making sure that your design project can easily be recognized by the public. A uniform banner theme also makes the banner design more pleasing to the eye.
3. Choose a color scheme.
As we have mentioned earlier, selecting a complimentary color scheme will help make your banner more striking and attractive. To create a banner design that leads to more sales, you should follow a color palette that will help improve brand recall and, at the same time, not be an eyesore.
4. Create relevant ad copy.
Another important step for creating awesome banner designs is to use relevant and custom-tailored ad copy or text in your banner. Text in your banner design will make your banner more eye-catching and easier to understand. This also means that banners that include a well-worded call-to-action is more likely to generate customer leads and sales.
5. Determine what graphic design tool to use.
The next step is to use a choose what kind of graphic design software tool to use in laying out the foundation of your banner design. The most common software tools used are Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
6. Or, use a pre-made banner design template.
Another option will be to use pre-made banner design templates. These are pre-made digital files that will take care of most of the text and graphic design elements needed to create your own banner design. Examples of these digital templates are included in this article.
7. Combine all design and text elements into the banner template.
Now that you have chosen a software tool or have purchased a pre-made banner design template, it is time to combine all the design and text elements into the blank banner template. Arrange all these elements into a banner design that is still pleasing to the eye.
8. Add images and business branding identity designs.
After that, it is now time to add relevant images or illustrations into your banner design template. Simplicity is key when creating your banner design layout. Avoid overcrowding the limited space of a web banner ad.
9. Proofread and fact-check the template.
The penultimate step is to have someone else review the banner design template. Let another person proofread and fact-check all the text and design elements used in the template. Make all the necessary changes or improvements after you have received feedback from another person.
10. Save final banner design copy and/or print out banner design.
After making all the changes into the banner design template, make sure that you save a copy of the completed design and you can now begin printing the banner.
You now have a completed banner in hand and you may begin using it as web advertisements on different websites. If you have created a printable banner template, you may have to take the template to a local printer and have the design printed on a tarpaulin or your preferred printing material.
Types of Banners
Banners can be divided into two main types. The first type is web banners and the second type are printed banners. Multiple examples of web banner templates are even included in this article.
As for printed banners, they are further subdivided into the different categories they are used for. To illustrate, there can be billboard banners, roll-up banners, funeral banners, hanging banners, party banners, and a lot more.
Listed below are different banner sizes. This list is mainly for banner ads that are displayed on websites, blogs, and other web properties.
- 468 x 60 px – Banner
- 300 x 600 px – Half-Page Ad
- 330 x 250 px – Inline Rectangle
- 250 x 250 px – Square
- 200 x 200 px – Small Square
- 728 x 90 – Leaderboard
- 300 x 250 – Inline Rectangle
- 336 x 280 – Large Rectangle
- 120 x 600 – Skyscraper
- 160 x 600 – Wide Skyscraper
- 970 x 90 – Large Leaderboard
What are banner designs used for?
Banner designs are used to announce a product, service, idea, or event to a group of people. Printed banners are also used as location markers since they may be used to lead and give instructions to a person or a group of people.
What are banner design templates?
A banner design template is a digital file that can be used to create a banner design from scratch. These pre-made templates will include text boxes, image placeholders, and other design elements needed to make a banner design. The template’s end-user will just need to replace these placeholders with their own text and images.
What software do you use to create banner designs?
Any kind of graphic design software tool may be used to create a banner design. Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator are the most commonly used.
Where to get free banner designs?
Template.net offers free and premium banner design templates. Free use of these banner templates is allowed if they are for personal use. Commercial use of these banner templates is available for a fee.
Template.net is the go-to site for professionally made designs and templates. They help thousands of people quickly complete any kind of graphic design and business projects thanks to their treasure trove of pre-made printable templates.