Bookmarks are small and often in rectangular-shaped items which are used to serve as markers inside a book in order to indicate which page the reader had left. With a bookmark template, anyone can create a bookmark for special occasions, personal use, or for business events where the bookmarks will be handed as giveaways.
Using bookmarks promotes two main benefits. The first and most common is it helps the reader or the user of the book to know where he must continue reading without having to re-read the rest of the pages to determine the page. The second is it ensures and protects the book’s pages from being dog-eared. The term “dog-earing” refers to an act of folding the corner of a book’s page instead of using a bookmark which then produces damage to the page.
A good bookmark template must have the following elements:
1. Size is appropriate for the book: When choosing a bookmark template, one must choose based on the size of the book where the bookmark will be used. On the other hand, if the bookmark is intended to be handed to different people in an event, then a standard size can be used which is often in 2 by 5 inches.
2. Designs must be inlined with the purpose and should be customizable or editable: Bookmarks can be made to cater to various occasions and events. For instance, Christmas bookmarks must have the colors of Christmas such as red, green, and gold, while bookmark templates which are intended for weddings and a baby shower can have pastel decorations and designs. Each part of the decoration must be permitted to changed and edited based on the preferences of the user ranging from changing the typefaces up to alternating the colors of the background to be used for the bookmark.
3. Should have a high-resolution image: If the bookmark includes an image, then it must be of high-quality. In addition, the number of DPI of the bookmark template must also be high for it to produce a well-printed output.
Using the Adobe Illustrator software application is easy yet it can be daunting for some who are not familiar with the icons and the functions present in the application. In order to perfectly create a template with this software application, the steps below can be used as a guide for anyone who wants to customize and make a bookmark template that can be reused in the future:
1. Open the software application: In the event that the software is not available on the computer, it must be acquired from a licensed source such as the website of the Adobe company. This is to ensure that the actual product being downloaded is legit and has the full features that Adobe offers to their users. On the other hand, there are also other Adobe application collections which are intended for mobile use this is why when downloading an application, the user must first determine what is being used, either a desktop or a mobile gadget.
2. Customize a new sheet: Opening a new sheet is a next step which should also have the customized size of the empty canvas to be used for making the template. Along with the size, the quality and other aspects of the template must also be specified.
3. Set up layers: Setting up layers in Adobe Illustrator ensures that the designs can be individually changed without harming the other designs which are part of the template. The layers can be set up by clicking on the layer dialog box and creating the number of layers needed. Moreover, one can also create layers during the design process for an easier option in arranging the layers based on their positions in the template. Some of the layers to create for the template include the background layer and the text layer.
4. Fill in the layers with designs and contents: Each layer must only have one design or one part of the content.
5. Save the template in “.AI” format: The reason why this is the format to use is to make the template be available to be changed and updated, and be used even after it is saved.
The types of bookmark templates differ on their subject and focus. Below are some of the common types that designers can choose from:
1. Advocacy Bookmark Template: This is a template which is suitable for advertising advocacy. The bookmark will not only help readers to know the page that they left off but will also inform them about the details of the advocacy being promoted. Additionally, it can also help in engaging more people towards the subject of the advocacy.
2. Cartoon Bookmark Design Template: Quirky bookmarks are not only for children and teens but for anyone who wants their unique personality be known to people who will be using their books along with their bookmarks. In this template, a cartoon illustration is on the other side of the bookmark while the opposing side contains the title of the illustration and the name of the company who made the bookmark.
3. Christmas Bookmark Template: Invitations can come in different varieties of forms, including bookmarks. With this template, a company will be able to inform their employees or their targeted participants about the Christmas Party to be held during the holiday season.
4. Fashion Bookmark Template: Quotes and sayings are also mostly found in bookmarks which are intended for motivating readers. A fashion bookmark template contains a quote about life and fashion which can inspire fashionistas and like-minded individuals. The template also has coordinating patterns of black, pink, and white which are the basic colors of women’s fashion.
5. Promotional Bookmark Template: Promoting a discount or a sale event of a mall can also be done by distributing bookmarks as part of the giveaways in engaging clients. The template for this purpose will have the basic details of the sale.
6. Thank You Bookmark Template: In thanking guests, a newlywed couple can provide thank you bookmarks along with their signed thank you cards after the wedding.
Bookmark template sizes can come either in 2.5 x 7.5 inches or in 2 x 5 inches. There are also bookmarks which have equal sizes on each side resulting in a square marker while there are others which form different shapes ranging from dogs to faces resulting in an uneven template size. However, to create a basic bookmark, the two common sizes mentioned above must be the guideline to consider following.
Creating and customizing a bookmark from a template is easy and can be done by anyone with a desktop. In addition to the aforementioned benefit, making a bookmark is also accompanied by fewer financial concerns to deal with since one can add other items to the bookmark at a lesser price than buying one with already attached decorations such as jewels and ribbons. The bookmark templates also help in deciding what colors work well with the rest of the bookmark’s designs.
Lastly, creating a bookmark with our bookmark templates ensures that it is personalized to the needs and preferences of the person who will be receiving the bookmark.
Regardless of the type of bookmark template to be used, the creator or the designer of the bookmark should be able to note the type of event and the purpose of making the bookmark. Also, the printing method and the decorations to be placed into the bookmark must be known before finalizing the bookmark for printing.