Did you know that the earliest recorded bookmarks were found in Egypt and they date back to as early as the sixth century? As long ago as that time was, it is evident that our ancestors already had the foresight to record things in books and mark one’s place when reading these lengthy tomes.
In the modern age, bookmarks have not lost their original purpose and are still widely used by students, scholars, marketers, and readers alike. They can now be easily designed and created thanks to the widespread availability of paper, printing, and bookmark templates. So if you are looking to create your own bookmark designs, check out the rest of this comprehensive guide on all things you need to know about bookmarks.
Whether for commercial or personal uses, anyone can easily create interesting bookmarks by knowing the essential elements of a good bookmark design. We have narrowed down this list to the top five essential characteristics below. Read and study them well so that you will know how to better design any bookmark in the future.
1. Theme: The best bookmark designs are those that follow a unique yet aesthetically pleasing theme. Evaluate how you want your bookmarks to be perceived and connect it with why you are creating bookmarks in the first place. You should find a connection between these two things and choose a design theme or motif from that. Bookmark themes may range from your favorite book to the sporting team that you support.
2. Printing Material: Another important feature or element that can easily transform a simple or blank bookmark design is your choice of printing material. Today, bookmarks can be printed on paper, wood, plastic, PVC, metal, leather, felt, and event fabric. Choose a bookmark printing material that you think will best showcase your personality, brand, service, event, etc. Also, if you have decided to use paper for your bookmarks, make sure that you selct high-quality or thick paper. You may also opt to use cardstock since they last longer than regular printing paper.
3. Layout: How text or visual information is presented in your bookmark is another factor or element that affects the object’s effectiveness. Since there is only limited space in most bookmarks, you need to follow an organized layout style. Take advantage of negative space, use only the most important images or text, be direct and straight to the point when it comes to incorporating a message or call to action in your bookmark designs. When done well, you will end up with an easy to read and aesthetically pleasing bookmark design.
4. Typography: Pay close attention to how any text element in your bookmark design is presented. Choose font styles, font colors, and even font spacing well. Any text in a bookmark design should be easy to read and should be pleasant to look at. The font styles or typefaces you use should match the theme and message of your bookmark. For example, when creating a holiday giveaway for your bookstore customers, your Christmas bookmarks should best use festive or season-related font styles and font colors.
5. Content: Lastly, the make or break element that a compelling bookmark should have is a relevant and aesthetically pleasing content. This can both be textual information in the form of quotes, passages, and verses or it can be in the form of images and illustrations. Plan what you want to include in your bookmark and do not forget to come up with an equally creative way to present this piece of information.
When all the elements mentioned above are combined well, you will have in your hand a captivating bookmark design. Practice your design skills frequently and do not forget to expose yourself to other well-designed bookmark creations to be inspired by them. Take a look at all the bookmark templates below and be inspired by them.
Embedded below are numerous bookmark templates in PSD file format. Each template is fully customizable according to your preferences and business needs. Other file formats are also available through each template’s download page.
Worried that you do not have enough crafting skills to create a simple promotional bookmark? Fret not. In this part of the article, we came up with a step-by-step guide on how to brainstorm the designing a bookmark. Treat this list as an over-the-shoulder guide so that you do not feel as lonely and so that you feel as motivated as having a real-life art design teacher around.
Are you ready? Read on…
1. Who or what is the bookmark for? This is the first question to ask yourself when creating a bookmark. Do you need want to give away the bookmarks as a present for your friends and family members? Are you creating them as a souvenir from your store? Also, think about the person/s whom you want to receive your bookmarks. This is your WHY. You first need to develop a resounding why and then internalize it before you can start creating something for others.
2. What materials do you need? Next, assess if you have all the necessary materials and tools needed to make a bookmark. Also, consider if you want to make handmade bookmarks or if you want to use printable bookmark templates instead. And if you choose the latter option, this article is a rich source of free and premium bookmark templates that you can use.
3. How many bookmarks do you need to create? This next question assesses how many bookmarks do you actually need to create. By knowing the total number of bookmarks you need to print out or manually create, you will have a better idea of how you can proceed with the bookmark creation process.
4. How much time do you have to complete the project? Knowing the total number of bookmarks you need to make and comparing this to your editing or crafting skills, you will have a clearer picture of how long it will take you to complete the entire bookmark project. You can begin planning your project timeline and begin clearing up your schedule to focus on completing the project. When using pre-made bookmark templates, you can complete making your bookmarks within a single day since you do not need to make a bookmark design from scratch.
5. How much is your budget? The next factor to consider when making any kind of graphic design project is your budget. For instance, if you are only making personalized school bookmarks, you may only need a small budget since this is only a personal project. However, for those who are creating business bookmarks or wedding bookmarks, you may need more money since you need to create high-quality formal bookmarks.
Ask yourself all the five questions above during your project brainstorming phase. After doing this exercise, you will have a clearer picture of how you can proceed with the project. You will have an idea of the possible difficulties that you may encounter and how you can work around them.
Bookmarks may be categorized according to the type of material they are printed on. Find out what each type are below.
It is important to remember that bookmarks should remain as an unobtrusive accessory when reading. To achieve this, bookmarks are printed on smaller sized paper or cardstock. In this article, most of the bookmark templates are best printed on 2.5 inches by 7.5 inches paper size.
A bookmark template is a pre-formatted graphic design file created using Adobe Photoshop. This digital file contains all the necessary text, image, placeholders, style, and layout elements needed to create a bookmark design. Also, files created and stored using Adobe Photoshop are saved with a .PSD file extension name.
Any kind of graphic design and compositing software program may be used to create bookmark templates. Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Microsoft Word, and Publisher are a few examples of these software tools.
Due to their small size, multiple bookmark templates are often fit into one standard paper size. They are then printed out as one file and the end user will have to cut-out each bookmark later on.
To end this article, let me leave you with a quote from a John Green novel: “Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they’ll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.”
With the help of any creative bookmark you have created (thanks to this article 🙂 ), getting back into a book would be a lot easier thank you think.