A printed bookmark allows you to mark your place in a book without having to backtrack to the last page you remembered reading. Its use helps enrich a reading experience especially when one needs to pore over lengthy tomes. And for entrepreneurs, marketers, publicists, event organizers, authors, and crafty folks, this small piece of paper can also be a useful marketing tool.
Learn more about the multiple ways you can use bookmarks as printed marketing materials in this article. Best practice tips and detailed guides on how to craft compelling bookmark designs are shared below along with multiple examples of downloadable bookmark templates in Word file format.
Elements of A Good Bookmark
Before attempting to create your own bookmark design, it pays to learn the core elements or characteristics that make a compelling bookmark design. We have listed the top five design elements below. Read and study them so that you will have a better idea on how to start or what to look for in a bookmark.
1. Layout: The first element to consider for an effective bookmark design is its layout. Choose a layout that clearly showcases a focal point in the design without sacrificing the readability of any text element incorporated on the design itself. Organized layout designs allow individuals to focus on the content (either in the form of an image, illustration, text, or combination thereof) of the bookmark and not on any extraneous decorative element.
2. Typography: For promotional bookmarks to standout, they need to incorporate a good typography design. This especially applies if you use quotes as part of the bookmark design. Good typography entails an eye for typefaces, font color, font sizing, and even the spacing between different characters. Also, consider how each text element is presented in the design. All these properties can help create a more readable and, thus, compelling bookmark design.
3. Color Scheme: One thing in common among different graphic design projects that helps create effective projects is the use of color. Choose a color palette that complements the type and purpose of your bookmark. For instance, if you are creating a business bookmark, it makes sense to chose a color scheme that matches your official business colors or the general theme of your marketing campaign. Check out a color chart to know what color/s suits your project best.
4. Paper Type and Size: When it comes to creating any kind of printed document or marketing material, the type of paper and printing size is important in creating a more favorable impression for your brand, product, business, or campaign. To illustrate, if you are creating a wedding bookmark as a form of souvenir, it is better to use thick paper or cardstock as they help create a more formal and elegant impression for your wedding.
5. High-Quality Images: As a form of a graphic design project, it is important for bookmarks to incorporate high-quality images, illustrations, artwork, or stock photos. Just like how good typography design elevates the look of a bookmark, using high-quality visual elements can help reinforce the message that you are trying to convey on your bookmark design.
Study all the design elements shared above and make sure to incorporate them into your own bookmark-making process. But remember, integrating all these design elements is not a do-or-die task. Feel free to add other design features that you think will help you get the results you want.
13+ Bookmark Templates in Word
Embedded below are multiple examples of bookmark templates in Microsoft Word file format. Each template is fully editable and also available in different file formats. Take a look and be inspired.
Editable Memorial Bookmark Template
Obituary Memorial Bookmark
Printable Funeral Bookmark Template
Wedding Bookmark Template
Thank You Bookmark Template
School Bookmark Template
Save the Date Bookmark Template
Promotional Bookmark Template
Motivational Bookmark Template
Graduation Bookmark Template
Funeral Bookmark Template
Fashion Bookmark Template
Blank Bookmark Template
Baby Shower Bookmark Template
Simple Tips for an Awesome Bookmark
Crafting bookmarks can be easy. But if you want your bookmark designs to stand out and drive positive effects for your business, you need to take your time in making them more appealing. Shared below are more tips on how you can make any bookmark design more awesome. Keep on practicing to incorporate these tips into your designs and you will soon see positive effects from this small marketing effort.
1. Keep track of the theme: The best bookmark designs are those that follow a theme or motif. This theme can be related your business objectives or it can be as simple as a black-and-white minimalist design theme. So when you design your own bookmark, always keep the theme at the forefront of your mind. A coherent theme makes any bookmark design appear more organized and purposeful.
2. Incorporate advanced printing techniques: Non-traditional printing techniques like embossed printing, die-cut printing, and foil printing can make more memorable bookmark designs. If you have the budget, do not hesitate to use these printing techniques especially if you are creating a wedding or souvenir bookmark.
3. Add your branding design elements: If you are using bookmarks as printed marketing collaterals, do not forget to integrate your branding design elements. And since a bookmark has limited space, make sure that your business logo or letterhead design is still readable despite being scaled to a smaller size. The most effective bookmark designs are those that subtle incorporate branding elements and help customers connect the dots between your brand and your products or services.
4. Try using a printable bookmark template: In this article, you will find multiple examples of pre-formatted bookmark template designs that you can use as a base for making your own bookmarks. They are best used if you do not have the time, money, or skill essential in making a bookmark design on your own. With these pre-made templates, you just have to download them and then make minor changes to its content to match your brand or personal preferences. At a fraction of the cost of hiring a graphic designer, you will already have a well-designed bookmark design on hand.
5. Explore different printing materials: Creating traditional paper bookmarks can be boring. That is why, if you want to add more oomph to your creations, you may print them out using non-traditional options. For example, you may create fabric, felt, metal, wood, or even leather bookmarks. To do this, make sure that you first consult a print shop that specializes in this kind of printing.
6. Insert a Call To Action: A Call To Action is basically any phrase, word, image, or combination thereof that encourages readers or customers to do one thing that will benefit your business, organization, event, or campaign. A few examples are “Call Us Now!”, “Get $10 Off”, or event “Sale”. Adding them can be especially effective for those who are creating marketing or fashion bookmarks.
Wasn’t that easy? By spending a few more minutes and incorporating these tips into your bookmark-making process, you will have a more attention-grabbing bookmark at the end of it. For more bookmark design tips, check out the rest of our website. We also offer other graphic design and business templates that anyone may download and customize to suit their personal and commercial objectives.
Types of Bookmarks
Listed below are different types of bookmarks based on the type of material they are printed on:
- Fabric Bookmarks
- Felt Bookmarks
- Leather Bookmarks
- Metal Bookmarks
- Paper Bookmarks
- Tassel Bookmarks
- Wood Bookmarks
- Yarn Bookmarks
Bookmarks may be printed on different paper sizes. In this article, most of the embedded bookmark templates follow the 2.5 inches by 7.5 inches paper size.
What is a bookmark template in Word?
A bookmark template in Word is a pre-made graphic design file crafted using Microsoft Word. This means that already contains all the necessary formatting, layout, font, text, and image elements needed in making a bookmark design. And as a Word template file, it will have a. DOC or .DOCX file extension name.
What is the difference between a bookmark and a tag?
A bookmark can be any object (usually a piece of paper) that acts as a page or location marker for any kind of reading material. A printed tag, on the other hand, is a small printed piece of paper or cardstock that identifies or describes an object that it is attached to.
What software tools are needed to create a bookmark design?
Aside from using word processing software programs like Microsoft Word to create a bookmark design, you may also use graphic design or editing software tools like Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and Microsoft Publisher.
Bookmarks are perfect marketing tools if you want to be subtle about your campaign while still making sure that you have created something your customers or readers can make full use of. Take note of all the design tips and hacks shared in this article and you will surely benefit from them when the time comes for you to develop your own bookmark designs.
And to get first access on new bookmark templates and designs posted our website, do not forget to sign up to your newsletter!