- File Formats
If you think everyone you know is creating personalized Christmas greeting cards for their family and friends, then perhaps you would like to try a less common holiday gifting strategy. And that is sending out New Year cards instead.
The main advantage of sending out these greeting cards is that you do not have to mail them out by mid-December or at the end of the year. New year greeting cards may be sent out by January and well after the first day of the year has occurred. So if you want fewer chores to do during the holidays, then perhaps creating New Year cards is the way for you. And in this article, we will help you do just that.
And to make sure that your New Year cards stand out, it pays to know the top design elements that a card design should possess. We have listed the top characteristics or elements below. Read and study each element so that you can intuitively apply or look for them in your own New Year card designs.
1. Paper Type and Size: One of the most overlooked elements when it comes to creating a good New Year card (or any greeting card) is the type and the quality of the material where the card is printed on. Remember, the most beautiful and creative New Year greeting card design in the world will not hold up if it is printed on lackluster paper. That is why you should choose high-quality paper, cardstock, or whatever new printing material available for you. Also, do not forget to pattern your New Year card’s printing size according to the type of design you are going for.
2. Lettering Style: The lettering style or typography used in a New Year card helps in delivering the message or theme you (the card creator) wish to tell the people who will receive your greeting card. Choose font styles, font sizes, font colors, and font spacing that allows you to eloquently tell a story. Do not overwhelm the card reader with too much fancy or bold fonts and font arrangement that they will readily dismiss the greeting card.
3. Card Cover Layout: Next, make sure that you choose a good layout for your New Year card’s cover design. Most pre-made New Year card templates will come with a pre-made layout. Follow this layout when using printable templates and you will not go wrong. And if you are creating a New Year card template design from scratch, you may mimic the layout styles that you commonly see in commercial greeting cards or on mock-up card templates. As a rule of thumb, the simpler the layout, the more readable the card becomes.
4. Branding Elements: When creating New Year cards for your business, organization, or for your family or clan, do not forget to add your branding design elements. This can be as simple as your business logo, clan symbol, your organization’s logotype, or even a business letterhead design. Having these branding elements on your New Year card can help promote your brand or business to your customers or clients.
5. New Year Message: Another element that should be present in a New Year card is your New Year message. The best greeting cards are those that feature personalized messages since they appear more sincere. If you are creating New Year cards for your family and friends, spare some time to include short messages in your New Year cards. The people receiving your greeting cards will surely appreciate it.
The five top design elements discussed above are only suggestions when it comes to creating compelling greeting cards for the new year. Follow your own instincts or preferences when designing or editing any card template and use the elements above as a guide to creating an even more memorable New Year card.
Listed below are more than ten free and premium New Year card templates that anyone may use as greeting cards this new year. Check out each template design and determine if any matches your own style or not. Also, make sure that you have a compatible editing software like Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Microsoft Word, or Illustrator installed on your computer before downloading and editing each template.
If need an over-the-shoulder guide on how to create your own New Year cards, we’ve got you covered. Read on below for a simplified and easy to follow guide on how to create your very first New Year greeting cards.
1. Choose a card theme or motif: The first step in creating a good greeting card for the new year is to make sure that you have decided on a card theme. This may be you and your family’s (or your organization’s) outlook for the upcoming year. Or, this can be as simple as following a design trend like creating a retro yet elegant New Year greeting cards.
2. Decide on a card layout: After that, make sure that you choose an organized layout design too. A good layout gives you a pattern to base your card cover design on. One way to make sure that you choose a good card layout is by looking at various card designs online or in a bookstore and then choosing a few that you feel looks great. Follow the arrangement or visual flow employed in that specific card design and your own New Year card design will not miss the mark.
3. Gather all the images and design elements: Next, collect and compile all the images, font styles, headers, text, pictures, etc. that you want to incorporate in your own card design. Name each file accordingly and then save them in one folder in your computer so that you can easily retrieve them later on.
4. Open up your preferred software tool: It’s now time to open your preferred editing tool and to start creating your card! Combine all the design elements you have previously collected and arrange them according to the layout you have chosen.
5. Or use a pre-made card template: And for those who prefer a less time-consuming approach to card-making, then you may choose to use a pre-made New Year card template. Multiple examples of these printable templates are embedded above. With these templates, you just have to make minor edits to the base template and they will be ready to print afterward.
6. Edit and finalize the card design: Whatever card-making method you choose, edit it according to the vision you have in mind. Finalize the card design and save it on your computer or on a flash drive.
7. Print out the template: Lastly, print out the card template. You may use your home or office printer. Or, you may also take the card template file to your local print shop and have it printed professionally. Choose the latter option if you want to incorporate advanced printing techniques or if you just need to print out a lot of copies of your New Year cards.
That’s it! Follow all these steps and you will have your very own modern New Year cards!
In this article, most of the card templates follow the 8 inches by 4 inches printing size. As the template’s end user, you may still change this and resize the card template according to your preferences or according to the type and size of your printing material.
The best time to send a New Year card is after the Christmas holidays. But since most people are busy around that time of the year, New Year cards may be sent within the month of January in the new year.
A card template is a pre-set digital design file created using various graphic design software tools. This digital file contains all the pre-formatted layouts, styles, images, text, font styles, placeholders, illustrations, and other elements needed to create a greeting card design. If a card template mainly includes design and formatting elements related to the New Year, it is called a New Year card template.
A New Year card is a printed greeting card typically sent out at the start of the new year while a Christmas card is sent out during the beginning of the holiday season around early December.
Examples of software programs that can be used to create a New Year card (or any kind of greeting or invitation card for that matter) are Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Word, Adobe Illustrator, Apple Pages, Adobe InDesign, and Microsoft Publisher.
With the help of all the tips and sample card templates shared above, we hope that you can now create the best New Year cards you could possibly come up with. Internalize and study all the design hacks well so that you can seamlessly incorporate them into your own card designs. Do not forget to check back to this article if you wish to see more graphic design card template examples.