Postcards as printed marketing materials. Isn’t that just an ingenious way to advertise a product or business in the digital age? So if you are interested in how to use postcards as part of your direct mail marketing strategy or if you just want to craft personalized ones for yourself, then you’re in for a treat.
In this article, we will teach you how to create awesome postcards with the help of editable postcard templates. Invaluable information on what makes a compelling postcard design is also shared below.
Traditionally, postcards are used for sending messages and letters without having to enclose them in bulky envelopes. Today, postcards still function in the same way. But if you want your postcards to stand out, you need to make sure that they are well-designed and fits their intended purpose well.
To achieve that, crafting enthusiasts, entrepreneurs, marketers, and graphic designers need to keep mind a few essential elements that help make a compelling postcard design. We have listed these elements below. Read and study them all so that you may apply them to your own card designs.
1. Typography: The first element to consider when creating a postcard design is typography. You need to carefully choose all the font styles, font sizes, spacing, kerning, and even the color of each text element used in the postcard design. Aside from this, you also need to make sure that all the text elements are presented in a way that helps tell a coherent story.
2. Mailing Essentials: Another important characteristic that postcards should have are the traditional markings or sections for mailing the postcard. The most essential parts of a postcard are the backside imagery, the divided back, and the stamp box. Make sure that your postcard design includes all these portions in order to adhere to industry standards on what a postcard should look like.
3. Branding Design Elements: For those who are creating a business postcard, it is recommended to add your brand’s branding elements into the card design. For example, you may use your brand logo, your business letterhead, or even a photo of your company building. Adding these design elements into your card design helps increase your brand’s recognizability.
4. Color Scheme: Another important design element that helps transform a postcard design is color. Choosing the right color scheme allows you to tell a story with your postcard well. This is especially important since postcards usually come with photos of people, places, or things. So whether you are creating a company postcard or a personal one, be mindful of the color palette that your design follows.
5. Relevance to the Marketing Campaign: To create compelling postcards, you need to make sure that your postcard design connects with the type of marketing campaign your business or organization is running. To illustrate, if you want to increase sales at your clothing store and you decide to send out marketing postcards as direct mailers, then it makes sense that your postcard design includes information about your store and the things that you sell.
Incorporate all these elements into your own postcard designs and enrich your business’ marketing strategy. Or if you are creating postcards for your own use, then their recipients will realize how much effort and thought you put into the creation of these personalized postcards.
Featured below are examples of postcard templates in PSD file format. All these templates are fully editable using Adobe Photoshop. And if you are looking for other types of file download formats, check out the rest of our website.
Shared below are a few actionable tips that anyone may follow in order to produce excellent postcard designs. You do not have to follow all these tips but keep an open mind as you may benefit from their use.
1. Use a printable postcard template: As this article is all about postcard PSD template, we highly recommend that you use pre-formatted postcard templates in creating your own postcards. With these blank postcard templates, you do not have to make a design template from scratch. This can be extremely helpful if you are pressed for time or if you do not have the necessary skills to create a postcard design.
2. Use high-quality paper or cardstock: Another way to make sure that your postcard stands out is through the use of high-quality paper or cardstock. If you have the budget, choose thicker paper as they tend to hold up well from the stress of postal travel. You may also choose textured or patterned paper if want your postcards to appear more elegant or formal.
3. Add stickers and embellishments: This next tip applies to those who want to make personal stationery. You may add your own stickers and embellishments into the postcard design. These things can help your postcard have a three-dimensional feel and it will look totally different from the usual business postcards that people receive. As a reminder, do not overdo adding embellishments to your postcards as they may not be accepted for mailing at your local post office.
4. Add freebies: For those who are creating business and marketing postcards, gone are the days of using simple postcard designs. Today, brands may opt to include small product samplers or test kits with their business postcards. This can be an effective market research strategy as companies can receive direct feedback from customers who have used their products. Note that this strategy may cost more in terms of producing and sending out the actual test products along with creating the postcards.
5. Tell a story: Humans are suckers for stories. And this is something that marketers use to their advantage all the time. If you are a small business owner, then creating a small business postcard that creatively tells the story of your business and your products may be the in you are waiting for.
Postcard advertising is an often underutilized marketing tool. That is why, if you intend to be a leader in your own industry or niche, experimenting with their use may become a stepping stone towards your business’ or organization’s growth. Study and apply all the tips that we have shared above along with the implementation with all your other marketing strategies. It will only be a matter of time before you see concrete and positive results with them.
Check the list below to know the different types of postcards used according to the occasion or end purpose of its creator.
Postcards typically follow the standard printing size of 6 inches by 4 inches. In this article, all the postcard PSD templates follow this printing size. However, they can still be resized according to your preferences.
A postcard template is a preset digital file containing all the text, font, graphics, and formatting elements needed to create a digital postcard design. When Adobe Photoshop is used to create such digital file, it is called a postcard template in PSD. Files created using Adobe Photoshop will have a .PSD file extension name.
Postcards are printed just like any kind of document. One side is printed first and then the paper or cardstock is turned over and placed back into the printer for printing of the other side.
A postcard is a piece of rectangular paper or cardstock and is printed with picture, illustration, or artwork on one side while the other side is left blank and is intended for writing a short message. A business flyer, on the other hand, is a printed marketing material that contains images and persuasive ad copy. Their main difference lies in the fact that it does not contain a section for writing a short message.
Just like receiving letters through the mail, receiving postcards through the mail can also be a refreshing experience. That is why if you are an entrepreneur or marketer who wants to use less conventional marketing tools, then perhaps using postcards may be the way to go. For more tips and examples of editable postcard templates, check out the rest of our website.