Getting a proof of identity as a student is often a difficult task due to different parental and documentary concerns that need to be addressed prior to the issuance of these personal identification documents. This is also why students rely on student ID card templates as their main proof of identity during their school years.
Student professional ID cards or just student cards act as a student’s proof of identity, age, and matriculation status. These cards are usually issued by schools, universities, local state authorities, and student organizations. In the United States, only documents or IDs issued by the government may be considered as proof of existence. Student ID cards issued by other organizations may still be honored in some establishments but not for official government transactions like getting a passport or applying for a marriage license.
Anyone who is currently enrolled in a school—whether undergraduate, masters, or doctoral course—is entitled to get a student identification card from their respective academic institutions. Some online schools or institutions offering correspondence courses may ask students to download official student card templates and print out the ID cards. This way, even students using alternative learning systems can have their own ID cards.
Student Id Card Template
Student Identity Card Design
Professional Student ID Card
Modern Student ID Card
3D Student ID Card Template
Elegant Student ID Card Design
Student Card Template
How to Create Student Card Templates
Designing student card templates is not for the fainthearted. Just like any form of art, student card designs will still require a certain degree of artistic skill. You need to create a design template that will differentiate your work from all other student cards available in the market today. Here are a few steps you can follow if you want to create an original student ID card template:
- Know what you want. Knowing what type of student card design that you want is often simple enough to say but it can be difficult to put into action. There are different types of card designs and design inspirations that will compete with the limited creativity space in our brains. It is easy to become inundated with design ideas that you will be overwhelmed about what to put into your own card design. To lessen or altogether avoid this issue, you should first decide the type of card design that you are looking. To illustrate, if you want an artistic card design, you need to specify how creative your card design would be. This will involve deciding on a color scheme, a specific font style, or background pattern rules beforehand. Moreover, you need to be ruthless in implementing these self-built rules. This way, you will be able to focus on only acquiring design elements that will fit with your agreed upon template criteria and you will save ample of time in the long run.
- Expose yourself to creative things or design inspirations. You may think that designing student cards is nothing compared to creating real artworks like paintings and therefore you do not need to get “inspired” before you can create a student card template. But this is a myth. There is no inferior art form. There is only a full and passionate self-expression through drawing, creating, singing, card-making, etc. So before you could express yourself fully, indulge in and enjoy your time in exposing yourself to other creative ID card design inspirations.
- Obtain the necessary information that will be needed in a student card. If you are tasked with creating your school’s student card template, you will need to gather all the pertinent student information. These pieces of information include student name, student ID number, student photograph, student’s course or major, student’s contact information, student’s emergency contact information, student’s allergy history or other relevant health issue, school’s contact information, student’s parent’s contact information or other emergency contact number/s. All these information may be obtained from the school registrar or the school secretary if the school has a small student population.
- Include the school’s logo design or seal as part of the student card template. A university or college logo design is one of the hallmarks that a student card is recognized by its school. Make sure to obtain vector file copies of the school’s logo prior to beginning your designing process.
- Get a student card template online. Graphic design is made easier by using pre-made templates online. Likewise, if you are pressed for time or if you just do not want to create a card template from scratch, you can rely on card templates. Examples of which are embedded with this article. Templates saves you time but it also allows you to devote more time on other more important aspects of card design. For example, you can concentrate on getting the perfect free logo design to match your student card instead of using all your time to design everything.
- Customize and edit the card template according to your preferences or based on the specifications set by your organization. One of the beauties of using card templates is that you may customize them to match your organization’s needs. This way, no student card templates created will be the same between different organizations. It also pays if you know how to edit images using software programs like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, or even Gimp.
- Print out your student cards using an office ID printer or at a print shop. Any good student card template design is useless if the design does not translate well on printed form. That is why you should also routinely check and test your card design if it appears all right on paper, card stock, or PVC surface. If you will be printing a lot of student cards, it may be best to invest in a portable office ID printer. You may coordinate with any print shop in your area where you may bring in your own student card template files and have it printed there.
- Make sure to save your template file/s. Student card templates will be routinely used especially if they are used as official templates for a school or any organization. Saving your card template designs allows you to revise these designs when needed. This way, you will not be spending money on purchasing or designing a template again. Doing this step also allows you to preserve the different original logo designs and other geometric patterns that you may have included in the original card template and will be too complicated to create from scratch. Making sure that you have saved your student card template files in your computer or in a flash drive gives you peace of mind for when you will need the design template again.
Student Card Making Techniques
Student card templates generally vary between each organization. So if you are tasked to create a student card for your home-schooled child or for your own school, we have listed a few card making techniques that will specifically apply to creating a student card.
- Appropriate Logo Design. Knowing useful tips for logo designing is essential in creating any good student card design template. Your school logo should be positioned correctly in the card so that it will not compete with the student’s image and other card background design that may be present. To illustrate, a church logo design will go well with a student card developed for a local parish school.
- Coordinating Color Schemes. Another aspect that designers should look into when designing student cards is the card’s color scheme. Student cards may need to follow the school’s official colors. However, if a school’s official colors are not that appealing, designers may suggest and create different card designs instead.
- Utilize Matching web fonts. The font style used in any card design should always match with all the design elements. If you want to achieve a professional-looking student card, formal modern font styles should be used. On the other hand, if you want a carefree student card that will reflect a relaxed environment, handwriting fonts may be used.
- Sliding Card Element. If you want a more casual-looking student card, you may add a sliding mechanism into the card. This allows a portion of the card to slide out to reveal another information within the card. Student cards formatted like this also makes the card double up as a creative business card.
Student Identification Card Template
Student Card Lanyard Set Template
Blank ID Card Template
3D Illustration Student ID Card Template
Student ID Card Template
How to Get a Student Card
Official student cards are released by schools, universities, or other accredited organizations. You also need to be enrolled at the institution before you can get a student card. In order to get an official student card, you may need to fill out and submit other forms to prove your identity. Examples of these forms are birth certificate templates and/or passports. Other institutions may also require you to submit a certificate issued by your college attesting that you are currently enrolled there.
Another type of student card, the International Student Identity Card (or ISIC), is issued by the ISIC Association. This organization follows a standard student card template for all the cards they issue. This card allows students to enjoy their time as students by giving them access to student discounts worldwide. The International Student Identity Cards are valid for one year. If you are a student, you may get an International Student Identity Card in addition to your school’s student card if you want to avail of different student discounts.