The first company to ever hand out business coupons was Coca-Cola. The company mailed these coupons to potential customers and even attached some in magazines. The coupons gave customers the privilege of having one free glass of Coca-Cola. Soon enough, this company grew larger due to its very effective marketing strategies. Businesses followed this example. The concept of using coupons as a marketing tool became a trend.
Coupons are generally used to reduce a product or service prize or to get a rebate for purchase. This paper gives customers this kind of special treatment. An effective coupon is more than just a ticket to a privilege. A coupon’s design may fall unnoticed on the hands of a customer, but with the application of the following elements, you will surely have a unique and memorable one.
1. Name of the company: This is a customary element for every coupon. A coupon must indicate the name of the company that issued it along with some basic contact details. This information will allow customers to know where they can use the coupon for purchase. You can also include the company logo for brand recognition and as a subtle way of letting the impression stick to the customer.
2. Perks: What’s the coupon for? Is it to provide a sample or to reduce the price of an item? Whether it be for an offer, a discount, or a giveaway, coupons must specify the privilege that comes along with it. You can use a smart-play-of-words to produce a compelling way of telling what the perk is.
3. Validity Period: This must be significantly highlighted on a coupon. Customers often blame companies for not specifying until when can they use the coupons causing them to miss out entirely on the offer. This can generate negative feedback on your business’ reputation. Make sure to indicate the expiry date somewhere where it is seen easily. You can use some techniques such as highlighting it so that it would be hard to miss.
4. Size and Print Material: The size and print material of your template is one important factor. The goal for coupons is to make it accessible enough to fit in your wallet or pocket. Be careful not to make it too small and out of a delicate material, that would make it easy to lose or get destroyed. Keep in mind also that you can’t make it too large and bulky, or else it’d be easy to be left elsewhere and can’t really be easy to carry around.
5. Design Elements: Choose a layout that observes visual hierarchy. Visual hierarchy is a technique on how texts should be arranged in a design that would direct a viewer’s attention to specific parts of it. The typography also has to match the theme along with the colors. Use vibrant colors for a fun mood, or a dark palette for a sophisticated style or elegant look. You can also include an illustration to give the customers a visual representation of their perks.
The following templates are all sample coupons that vary in purpose and style. These online templates are all editable in Apple Pages.
Coupons can be more than the perks they come up with. They help build brand recognition and could build you up some really good public feedback regarding your products and services. So how do we make a really good coupon? Here’s how.
1. Figure out the coupon type: So before you head out to the process of making a coupon, try to figure out first what type of coupon you would like to produce. Figuring this part out would assist you in choosing a fitting template for your coupon.
2. Download a template: Once you’ve figured out the coupon type, you can already decide on the template. Making coupons can get quite technical, so it’s best to download an online template that already has the design elements you will need to make a good coupon. Open a design software such as Apple Pages. Apple Pages is an iOS supported application. After downloading a template, you can open Pages and edit the coupon template from there. Incorporate your branding elements and images you wish to include. Edit the texts and adjust the typography if needed.
3. Consult: Do a quick self-evaluation of your work. After doing so, show it to your friends or relatives. Ask them for second opinions or any comments regarding your template. You’re probably going to hand your coupons out to the public so it’s essential to show them first to a smaller audience before printing multiple copies of it.
4. Print your template: After some final adjustments, save your template for future references. Templates edited in Apple Pages will have a file extension name of .pages. Prepare the paper medium you would be using for printing and print your coupon template at a professional printing shop for quality assurance.