- File Formats
Fax is short for facsimile, which is also otherwise known as telecopying or telefax. This is the transmission of scanned printed material which can be text, images, or a combination of both from one party to another. This process is done normally through a telephone number connected to a printer, fax machine, or another output device.
Faxing documents is unusual in this day and age. More often than not, fax is considered an outdated concept, especially by the younger generation. Who can blame them? We live in the digital age, an age where all forms of communications and file sharing can be done online. Videos and images can be stored in the cloud. Telephone and video conferences are becoming the choice of communication. We can even post images we need to be shared through social media. Faxing documents seem like a thing of the past.
So why do we bother? Well, contrary to popular belief, fax is still relevant today. This is still a faster way to send high-resolution images, multiple document, and large files. No need to scan, upload, then take forever attaching the files to your email for sending. Today, where time is gold, this is still the quickest way to send documents from one location to another.
Now that you know the relevance of fax, you need to start setting your fax machine up. Before that though, you need to have a fax cover. A fax cover is a header used when transferring files. A fax calling card if you will. The quickest way to create a fax cover is through a fax cover template. What is a fax cover template you ask? Well, this article should not only help answer this question but illuminate the effectiveness of fax.
Fax covers are a perfect way to show your competence and professionalism to your business associates and clients. So finding the perfect fax cover template is imperative. Listed below are the key elements of what makes a fax cover good.
1. Applicable to your Job or Company: It is important to make sure that the fax cover that you decide on is in line with you and your company. It is okay to showcase your creativity, especially if your company is known for its creativity, but you need to make sure that everything still fits together. If you run a law firm, for example, your fax cover is expected to be more straight forward and spacious.
2. Straightforward layout: The whole point of the fax cover is to make sure that your business associates and clients know that the file is coming from you. Keep the layout of the fax cover straight forward. If you decided to use a fax cover template as an outline for fax cover, keep this in mind. Rember that the star of the show is still the document being sent. The fax cover template is more like a sidekick. It makes the faxed document look neat, clean, and professional.
3. Enough Space for the Faxed Document: Leave enough space for the actual document being sent. Running out of space for your document is a very bad thing. Spacing is important. Always keep in mind that the point of your fax cover is to make sure that the document being sent looks professional. If the fax cover takes up too much space, the actual document may not have enough space. You want to keep your business associates in mind and make sure they do not waste too much paper and ink. Keep things simple. In the case of fax covers, the simpler the better.
4. Provide Details of You or Your Company: Remember to add your company logo and contact details. This serves as a marketing tool as well. First-time clients or new business associates will see this and will have a way to contact you if needed. This will be a subtle way to remind them that you provided them with the information they needed.
Now that you know the elements that make up a good fax cover template, and have seen excellent examples, we can now discuss the steps in the creation of your own fax cover. Here is a quick guide to help you in the creation of your own fax cover.
1. Choose a Fax Cover Template: Choose a fax cover template that represents your company. There are plenty of templates to choose from online. A quick google search will show you plenty of results. From there, it is simply an act of choosing the best fax cover template. Knowing what you know about the elements of what makes a good fax cover will help you in choosing the best one.
2. Format the Fax Cover Template to your liking: A fax cover template is just that, a template. Your chosen fax cover template is just meant to provide you with a guide or outline. You still need to make minor changes to the template to make it your own.
3. Provide Company Details: Remember to place both your company logo and company contact details in your fax cover. Depending on your chosen fax cover template, this will either be on the top or bottom of the file. It is imperative that you add these key pieces of information. This also serves as a way to market your company.
4. Prepare the Fax Cover in Multiple Sizes: Documents come in all shapes and sizes. Preparing differently sized fax cover templates will help you speed up your fax process down the line. There are times that the documents you need to fax are so small, using a whole A4 sized paper will feel like a waste. Examples of these unusually sized documents are sales receipts, invoices, even vouchers.
Fax cover types are dependent on the size of the paper used. The following are the different types and sized used for fax cover or fax cover templates.
1. A4 (ISO Fax Cover Template: A4 size paper in the International Standards Organization is 8.27 x 11.69 inches.
2. Letter or A4 (US) Fax Cover Template: This type of paper size is more commonly used in the US and some neighboring countries. Letter or A4 (US) is 8.5 x 11 inches.
3. Legal Fax Cover Template: Legal sized paper is 8.5 x 14 inches.
4. Unconventional Sizes Fax Cover Template: Used for either larger or smaller documents. Size does not exceed the conventional pare sizes.