Have you ever thought of designing your mailing envelopes? By designing them, we mean making them more attractive and, in effect, more effective in generating customer leads. After all, those things with sticky flaps that you enclose letters, postcards, marketing mailers, and other notes with are not just used to comply with etiquette conventions.
When you pay more attention to your envelope design, your business and personal correspondences will have increased open rates and you are opening up your brand for more positive things. This article is all about helping you achieve all those possibilities by making a simple change on you design your business envelopes. Read on for design tips and to see multiple examples of envelope templates in Illustrator file format.
Starting off this article, we share with you the top characteristics and elements that make any envelope design effective. Read and study each element so that you will know how to intuitively integrate them in your graphic design projects.
1. Printing Material: When it comes to making any personal or business envelope stand out, nothing beats the quality of the material it is printed on. Use high-quality and thick paper to print any envelope design on as it can create a feeling of luxury and professionalism. This is especially important if you are creating business or company envelopes.
2. Color Scheme: The next design element that should be found in an envelope design is its color. Choose a color scheme that relates to or is similar to the color palette used for the content of your envelope. Color, after all, is one of the first things that people notice. And if you use this to your advantage, you can easily make your envelopes stand out and get opened and then read right away. Also, you may consult a color chart to make more accurate color combinations.
3. Postal Markings: When designing envelopes, it is important that they adhere to industry standards on how an envelope should look like. This is especially important to those who want to send out their mail using the postal service. In this case, your envelopes should include standard postal markings. This may include a stamp box, a lined portion for writing the sender and recipient addresses, and even some blank portion for other postal markings. Incorporate all these things into your envelope design and you will not have a problem mailing out your letters and direct marketing mailers in the post office later on.
4. Branding Design Elements: Envelopes are good printed advertising materials since people can’t help but look at the envelope’s design prior to opening or discarding their content. To do this, you can simply add your business’ branding elements into the envelope design. A good envelope design is one that subtly incorporates a brand logo, business letterhead, or a wordmark, into the envelope without the design appearing too forced or out of place.
Equip your envelope designs with all of the features or elements discussed above and you will have an easier time getting your business letters and correspondences in the hands of your customers. Bookmark this page so that you can refer back to it at a later date.
Embedded below are the envelope templates and designs that we have promised earlier. Each template is available as Adobe Illustrator template download files. Other file download types like Adobe Photoshop (PSD), Microsoft Word (DOC), and InDesign (INDD), and Microsoft Publisher (PUB) files are also available through each template’s download page.
Interested in crafting your own envelope design? If yes, we have prepared a step by step on how to do just that. Find out what the steps are below.
1. Determine what type of envelope you want to create: Do you need to send out business documents, company brochures, or regular birthday cards? Choose an envelope that can best hold the type of document or insert you are making.
2. Choose an envelope size: Based on the type of document and the type of envelope you have chosen above, it is time to select the right envelope size too. Choose an envelope size that is generally one-fourth of an inch larger than its content.
3. Compile all text and design elements you want to use: Save all the images, text, illustrations, and layout files under one folder in your computer.
4. Open the graphic design software program of choice: Open Adobe Illustrator or any graphic design software of your choice.
5. Or, use a printable envelope template: To make things easier, you may also use a pre-made envelope template. These editable and printable templates will allow you to make the same design customizations without having to deal with the nitty-gritty of creating an envelope design from scratch.
6. Start combining the design elements into a blank template: Open a blank template or file in the software tool of your choice or start editing the template file that you’ve downloaded. Be creative.
7. Finalize the envelope design and save the file: Once you are satisfied with your envelope design, have someone review the template for any errors. Make the necessary changes and then save the template file.
8. Print out the template: Finally, print out your envelope template. You may use your home printer or you may go to your local print shop and have them print out your designs. Note that if you are printing your envelope at home, you will still have to cut-out your envelopes out of the plain paper or cardstock used to print them on.
Envelopes may be categorized according to their style, color, paper thickness, and size. In this article, we share with you the different types of envelopes based on their styles. Find out what they are below:
Listed below are the two main categories for different envelope sizes.
An envelope template in Illustrator is a pre-formatted graphic design file made using Adobe Illustrator. Templates created using this graphic design software program are stored under a. AI file extension name. These template files will contain all the necessary font, image, text, illustration, and layout files for making an envelope design.
As a rule of thumb, you should choose an envelope that is 1/4 inches larger (in height and in width) than its content or insert. Also, when mailing documents, it is best to fold them up so that the document ends up in a rectangular size. Doing this makes it easier for you to insert a letter, greeting card, or brochure into an envelope.
The standard pieces of information that should be written in an envelope are the following:
Creating or customizing your own envelope designs is easy, right? With the help of all the design tips and beautiful envelope mock-ups shared above, we hope that you have grown confident in starting your own envelope design projects. Do not forget to enjoy the creation process and feel free to check out the rest of our website for more design inspiration.