Business and personal correspondences will not be complete without using matching printed envelopes. That is why if you want to maximize the effect of a well-crafted letter or a marketing mailer, it should best be enclosed in a well-designed container.
Remember, first impressions matter. And having a well-designed envelope could help you do this without much effort. In this article, we will teach you how to create envelopes that are tailored for business owners, marketers, and wedding event planners. Also included below are multiple examples of envelope templates in PSD file format that anyone may download and use for their own.
Whether you are creating an envelope from scratch or you are using a printable envelope template, it is important to know the key elements that make a good envelope design. Once you know how to identify these essential characteristics, it will be easier for you to create and/or pick out an envelope design for your business or personal needs.
Below, we have listed the top elements of a good envelope design. Read and study these characteristics so that you will have an easier time choosing a design.
1. Intended Use: The first element or factor that one should look for in an envelope design is how you intend to use the envelope. Will you be creating an envelope for direct mail marketing or will they be part of your wedding cards and stationery? Be clear on how the envelope will be used and choose an envelope design that will complement its usage. To illustrate, if you are looking for matching envelope design for your wedding invitations, then choose a template design that is fit for a wedding.
2. Branding Identity Designs: An important characteristic that a good envelope design should embody is the inclusion of your personal or business branding identity designs. This especially applies to business owners and marketers who are sending print advertising to customers through direct mail or business correspondence. Incorporating your brand logos or letterhead designs into your business envelopes can help increase customer recall.
3. Color Scheme: Color choice is an important characteristic that should be present in any graphic design project. When creating an envelope template design, make sure that you use a complementary color combination. Choose colors that pique a person’s attention and lets them be curious enough to open and read the envelope’s content.
4. Paper Size and Shape: The size and shape of an envelope template is another essential element that influences its recipient’s action/s. For example, if you are sending business brochures to all the residents in a single village, it pays to enclose these brochures in equally well-designed envelopes to help increase their open rate. The same thing can also be applied to creating regular letters and personal correspondences.
5. File Format: Lastly, you should forget the file format that an envelope template design comes in. This especially applies to those who want to create or use printable envelope templates. For example, if you only know how to use Adobe Photoshop, it is important that you look for envelope templates that are available as a PSD file. Factoring in a template’s file format into your decision-making process can help make a template more useful in the long run.
So those are the top five elements that any marketer, entrepreneur, or individual should look for when creating or choosing an envelope design. Reread all these essential elements so that you will have an idea on how to apply them into your design-making process.
Featured below are editable envelope templates. Each template is stored as an Adobe Photoshop (PSD) file. This means that you will need to know how to use Adobe Photoshop in order to edit the template later on.
Listed below is a step by step guide on how to create or edit your own envelope design using Adobe Photoshop. If you can, take copious notes and practice frequently so that creating other envelope designs will come more easily to you.
1. Choose an envelope design theme: Choose a theme or motif that matches your business image or the subject of your marketing campaign. The simpler the theme is, the better will you be able to interpret and apply it into your envelope design.
2. Gather all the images or illustrations you want to include on the envelope design: Use high-quality images, stock photos, or illustrations only.
3. Create your own business logo or letterhead design if you do not have any: Yes, do not forget to add your own business branding elements as they will help improve brand recall.
4. Choose an envelope size: Choose an envelope size that will best match the size of the document that you will put into the printed envelope.
5. Select a high-quality paper type: Select high-quality paper or cardstock for your envelopes. This way, their recipient will be more impressed with your correspondence.
6. Open Adobe Photoshop and open a blank template: Use Adobe Photoshop if you want envelope template designs stored as PSD files. This software tool allows you to edit pre-made templates or you can create your own envelope design from a single blank template.
7. Start compiling and editing all the graphic and text elements needed for your envelope design.
8. Finalize and save the template design: Check the template for any spelling errors (if you included text on the design). Make sure that all the images are formatted correctly and that they do not cross the print bleed line. Once done, save the template as a PSD file.
9. Print out the template: You may print out the envelope template directly from Photoshop. You can do this using your home or office printer. Or, you may also take the file to a local print shop and have it professionally printed.
We hope that you found this over-the-shoulder guide on how to create your own PSD envelope template is useful. Feel free to refer back to this article as you continue to learn the ins and outs of envelope design. For more examples of downloadable graphic design templates, check out the rest of our website.
Listed below are the three main classifications of envelopes. This classification system is based on the content of the envelope.
1. Business Envelopes: These envelopes are used for sending out formal business letters, direct mail marketing, and other types of business correspondences.
2. Announcement Envelopes: This type of envelope are those that contain greetings or declarations and other less formal messages. Examples of which are birthday cards, invitation cards, and other advertising collaterals.
Nowadays, envelopes are created from digital envelope template files. Despite this, they may still be formatted to follow the standard envelope printing sizes. Listed below are the different sizes or measurements for different types of envelopes based on the American and International printing standards.
An envelope template is a digital file that contains all the formatting elements of a printable envelope design. When an envelope template file is created and stored using Adobe Photoshop, it is called an envelope template in PSD.
In this article, we have focused on the creation and usage of envelope template designs that are available as a PSD (Adobe Photoshop) files. Other graphic design software tools like Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and even Microsoft Word and Publisher can be used to create envelope designs.
A wedding envelope contains stationery, letters, or cards that are used at a wedding. A business envelope, on the other hand, is an envelope used to enclose business correspondences, letters, and other business marketing materials.
With the help of all the free envelope PSD templates above, you certainly find it easier to create and/or customize your own envelope templates. Also, do not forget to apply all the tips and template creation hacks that we have shared above!