Are flyers effective marketing tools? Well, yes, they certainly are! But here’s the caveat: they need to be created and distributed in the right way and to the right people. So if you are interested in starting your own flyer marketing strategy, then look no farther than this article.
We will help you navigate the first criteria to effectively market your business, products, or services. And that is through the creation of excellent flyer designs. Also shown below are free printable flyer templates that any business owner, manager, student, or homemaker can download and use.
The best flyers are those that manage to both inform a customer and also entice them to take action (preferably something that affects the brand or business positively). But to create a good flyer design, you need to consider multiple factors and flyer-making rules.
To make the process easier, we have developed a list of the top design elements or qualities that can readily transform a simple flyer design into something more remarkable and beneficial for your business or organization. Read on to find out what these design characteristics are.
1. Clear Headlines: Another essential component of a good flyer design are bold and clear headlines or calls to action. Learn to craft enticing headings and/or pitches using as few words as possible. Sprinkle them with power words and descriptive language. Remember: Choose action-oriented yet mutually beneficial call to actions. A few examples are: “Like Our Facebook Page!”, “Buy 1 Take 1”, or even “50% Off When You Avail of Our Lunch Package”. Do you get the drift?
2. Persuasive Ad Copy: In connection with the need for bold headlines and calls to action for a good flyer design, the inclusion of an equally persuasive ad or sales copy within the body of your flyer is also necessary. Draft an ad copy that matches the image of the company creating it and the tone of the marketing campaign they are creating. If you do not have experience in copywriting, you may hire a professional copywriter the complete the job for you.
3. Organized Layout Design: Another element that is important in creating a good layout design is by following an organized layout design. This ensures that there is good visual flow or balance among all the text, design, and formatting elements used in your flyer design. As a rule of thumb, the most important elements (e.g. the call to action and/or a product image) should be front and center in a flyer while the details of the promotional offer are either written at the back portion of the flyer.
4. Good Typography: One’s typeface choice is important in creating flyer designs that fly (pun intended). With the right font styles and formatting, the text elements in your flyer will match the intent of the flyer. To illustrate, if you are making a fine dining restaurant flyer, choosing elegant script fonts can help reinforce the identity and type of restaurant you are opening.
5. Attractive Color Choice: Never take for granted the effect of color on the human eye (or brain 😀 ). Color is one of the first things that people notice in an object or reading material. When it comes to creating a good flyer design, it is best to choose attractive colors that will help highlight the different pieces of information shared on your flyer. Look at a color chart to see different color combinations that you may use for your own flyer designs.
Now that you know all these essential design elements, your flyer-making tool arsenal should be complete. As you continue to grow in your graphic design journey, feel free to add and/or remove any designing tool that comes across your way.
Shared below are downloadable flyer templates in Word file format. These templates may be edited to match your personal or business needs. In addition, you may also choose other file download formats like Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and Apple Pages.
To make even more excellent flyers, here are best practice tips that anyone can follow. Take these tips with a grain salt. You do not have to follow them just because told you so. Review each tip and check if they can be applied for the type of marketing campaign you are running and the kind of flyer you wish to create.
1. Customize a pre-made flyer template: Pre-made templates can offer you all the best things when it comes to creating flyer designs without having to create each component design element. All you have to do is replace the image and text placeholders with your own business information and images. Then, voilà! You are ready to print out the flyer template files.
2. Use high-quality paper: If you want your flyers to be taken seriously, then don’t use regular bond paper or newsprint when printing them. Choose paper or cardstock (if you want to be fancy) with a higher GSM number. Another common type of paper used for printing flyers is glossy paper or something similar to the ones used in printing trade magazines.
3. Add high-quality images: High-resolution images can transform a regular flyer design into something more attention-grabbing. When people clearly see a depiction of the product, service, or package you are selling, they are more likely enticed to try it out. When looking for high-quality images, make sure that you are using your own photos or you are purchasing stock photo licenses that allow you to use these photos for your business.
4. Hire a copywriter: As we have mentioned at the start of this article, if you want to create compelling flyers, you need to craft an equally persuasive ad copy. That is why if you are not familiar with writing your own copy, it is best to hire a copywriter who can do the job for you. You should seriously consider doing so as this can affect the quality of your flyer.
5. A/B Test your ad copy: If you have the budget and the time, it can be a good idea to undergo AB testing for your flyer copy and design. Doing this will allow you to create highly targeted flyer designs that people really read and take action from. And just like how any testing plan works, make sure that you coordinate with your flyer distributors, employees, and copywriters. Working together will help you achieve your goals faster and achieve positive results in the end.
6. Learn to implement other sales efforts: Promoting products and services using flyers certainly can help you make a small dent in attracting your target customers. However, if you want to maximize this effect, it is best to use them along with other marketing strategies that go hand-in-hand with your flyer distribution plan. To illustrate, you may create digital business flyers and send them out to prospective customers when you implement a concurrent email marketing campaign. Other types of marketing campaigns exist as well so try them out depending your business needs.
With all these flyer-making tips in mind, we hope that you now feel more confident in starting your own flyer design projects. Bookmark this article so that you can easily refer back to it later on.
For every type of business or marketing goal you have in mind, there is a specific type of flyer for that. We have listed a few of these below:
When creating a flyer design, you may follow whatever paper size you paper size you prefer. Most of the free flyer templates included in this article follow the US legal paper printing size which measures 8.5 inches by 11 inches.
Flyers and leaflets both are promotional pamphlets. Their main difference lies in the quality of the paper used in printing them. Printed flyers commonly use paper with a high GSM number. Promotional leaflets, on the other hand, maybe photocopied versions of an original flyer design on regular bond paper or newsprint.
Flyers are best used to supplement an existing promotional offer. For example, if you are opening an art gallery and you are offering free admission to the establishment, creating art gallery flyers will help promote the launch event and introduce the place to many people.
A flyer template in Word refers to a pre-formatted graphic design file made using Microsoft Word. As a template file, it comes with all the text, design, and formatting elements needed for making a digital flyer design. As Word document file, it will have a .doc or .docx file extension name.
As we have mentioned at the start of this article, flyer advertising can work well when you develop the right flyer design and distribute them to the right people. Now that you already know how to create compelling flyer designs, it is time to learn about market research techniques and flyer distribution strategies. Combine all these pieces of information into a sound marketing plan that will help propel your business.
And to see more downloadable business templates, do not forget to check out the rest of our website.