Many businesses use flyer templates to promote events, product launch, goods and services, sale promotions, and other special offers. In the age of the internet and the demand to invest in online content, print materials like flyers are still a popular choice in marketing for different organizations, especially small businesses. If you want your promotion to be a success, flyers can be effective but they need to stand out.
Elements of a Good Flyer Template in PSD
Flyers remain as the go-to marketing tool even for the most successful businesses because they’re perfect for reaching a broad audience and getting the word out in the community with a modest marketing budget. However, they can only be as effective as their design, so make sure that you design a winning flyer template with these elements below:
1. Bullet Point: You’re probably tired of hearing “less is more” but these words still apply in the principles of design and while information being concise and simple doesn’t have to mean filling the flyer with more than fifty bullet points just to get everything included, bullet points are unmatched when it comes to making the flyer easily-digestible. Designers usually go crazy with using bullet points, but strategically, they’re a great way to break down an otherwise wordy content.
2. Images: Don’t get intimidated by the idea of manipulating or simply adding images to make your flyer more appealing. Many of us don’t want to use clip arts anymore and think images edited using Photoshop applications can be tough and time-consuming but can’t think of an alternative. Fortunately, there are a lot of professionally-shot images all over the internet that you’re free to use, as long as you get them from reliable stock photo websites.
3. Content: Planning your content is very important since flyers ideally contain more information than posters. Contents with distinct layers are easier to read and the audience can get the point faster.
Always plan your content in three levels: title, subtitle and description. A good title will catch attention at-a-glance especially when you have some powerful words expressing your design’s theme. Subtitles on the other hand can take care of answering the when, where and how. Try to use simple, clear language to get the message across. Description would explain the event, product, promotion or service details to the audience, making little to no room for confusion.
4. Headline: Effective flyers have headlines, and they don’t necessarily have to be located at the top of the page as long as it’s short and snappy. Remember that the headline doesn’t necessarily have to be at the top of the page. You can try doing this through a black box coming from the right side of the flyer, then reduce the opacity just enough to let the photo start to show through. This helps make the text more readable over a busy and graphic-packed background.
10+ Flyer Templates in PSD
Modern Flyer Template
Multipurpose Flyer Template
Pizza Flyer Template
Movie Flyer Template
Postcard Flyer Template
Concert Flyer Sample
Free Cookout Flyer Template
Restaurant Flyer Template
Sales Flyer Template
School Flyer Template
Steps To Design An Excellent Flyer In PSD
Nailing your flyer doesn’t mean having the skills worthy of the greatest artists in history. A flyer design doesn’t have to be complicated although it does need to be compelling and have an impact to the audience, enough for them to check and see what you’re offering and how it would benefit them. Follow these steps to get started on designing a promotional flyer:
1. Organize your information: What is required? What are your goals? Why do you need a marketing tool meant for mass distribution? Any good promotional flyer needs to say in the limited space when and where an event is going to be held, or what the products, services or promotions being offered are and how you’ll be able to take advantage of them.
2. Go easy on the content: Though flyers can and should have way more information than your average presentation slide, that doesn’t mean you should overdo the content. Again, apply the basic rule of design-less is more, make the medium the message and all that jazz. If your flyer ends up with a large amount of text, it will fail to get noticed or make an impact. Chances are, people will look at it once, decide that it has too much going on, and move on with what they’re doing.
3. Realize that success and stability don’t happen overnight: If you’re a startup business hoping to get the word out in order to develop a good customer base, you should know that you’ve got competition by the dozens and that these businesses may have been in the area and the industry for quite some time. That means you still have work to do and even if you gain a steady line of customers now, there are going to be days when even the best flyer design will not get people to knock on your door.
4. Market your business as much as you can: If you managed to complete a great flyer, it doesn’t necessarily mean you have to wave them at every person who passes by. But your target audience is not going to know you’re there to serve or entertain them if you sit pretty and let the flyer posted outside do the whole sales talk. That’s not gonna happen. You can let your flyer serve as your sales pitch but you can’t rely on them to do the job for you. Let people know you exist by distributing flyers or mailing them.
Tips in Designing a Flyer in PSD
With a design that is both visually appealing and informative, a flyer is a great way to promote your brand, gain new customers and keep old ones. Here are additional tips to make sure you got your flyer design right:
- Know your strengths and weaknesses: You may have what it takes to fix cars, organize an event like a concert successfully, or bake the best pastries in town but that’s not all there is to it when managing a business or an organization that aims to gain profit and survives the competition. If you lack business skills, you may want to hire professionals to do your auditing and manage your business finances.
- Remember function comes before form: Before finalizing your design concept for the flyer, make sure you have all the information right regarding what the customer needs to know about the product, service, or event. The flyer’s purpose which is both to market and informs should come first before graphics. The overall design may be visually appealing but if they fail to offer value or fail to inform, they’re not going to get you in the right place.
Types of Flyers
Mass printing for flyers is still common, even in an age where digital content is taking over other traditional forms of marketing. Flyers still work and are able to reach a broad audience, especially with the right content and overall design. Here are the two most common types of flyers you can use for advertising your business:
- Advertisement Flyers: If you want to spread the word about your latest discounts and promotions, this is the perfect type of flyer to use since it prioritizes the information more than the graphics. Your textual content should, therefore, be readable and your layout should be understood by the audience at-a-glance.
- Photo-centric Flyers: Photos are a surefire way to grab attention in seconds. If you own a startup business and want to develop a good customer base, this is your flyer. It gives you a chance to mix different color palettes with great illustrations and graphics. Just remember to choose the right photos and you’re well on your way to getting your target customers at the door.
Flyers can come in various sizes but these are the most common:
- Half Sheet: 5.5 x 8.5″
- Standard: 8.5 x 11″
- Large Format: 11 x 17″
What is the standard size for printing a flyer?
Most printers can handle two flyers, each 5.5″ by 8.5″. Regardless of which size you choose, make sure it goes with your layout and printing budget.
What’s the difference between a flyer and a leaflet?
Leaflets tend to be more formal and professionally-designed, with the greater effort put into its content and can be printed both on colored paper or in color. On the other hand, a flyer takes on many different designs depending on the type of product, event or services being promoted just as long as it has all the key information included.
Creating flyers with a design that would attract its target audience isn’t rocket science but making sure that it serves its purpose as a marketing tool is something that needs a good understanding of the what the business is trying to sell or promote, whether it’s food, the limited store offers or even public awareness.