Graffiti has become one of the most popular trends in graphic design as this kind of street art has found its way into the mainstream and has become a medium to express ideas and underlying social and political messages. It has even become national treasures as they are used as landmarks and begin attracting tourist for photo opportunities.
Graffitis are writings or drawing scribbled, scratched, or sprayed on a wall or other surfaces in a public place, which range from simple written words to elaborate wall paintings. On this article, we have collected some graffiti sketches that you can download and use. More collections of other sketches, such as pencil sketches, are also available on the site.
3D Graffiti Sketch
Graffiti Cartoon Sketch
Graffiti Pencil Sketch
Graffiti Alphabet Sketch
What Is Graffiti?
- History. With a long and proud history, the subculture associated with graffiti has existed for decades and still going strong. Seen as common criminals and vandals before, graffiti artists have become passionate, skilled, community-oriented and socially conscious individuals.
- Modern graffiti. Urban graffiti which uses spray cans came in the late 1960s from New York City. A certain Taki 183, who worked as a messenger, would use a marker and write his name wherever he went. Kids soon followed tagging their names anywhere to gain fame and notoriety.
- Tagging and more. Aside from getting their names around as much as possible, artists or writers started outdoing each other in terms of style. It has since then evolved into a complex art form with its own techniques and vocabulary.
- Style wars. The emergence of an entire subculture surrounding graffiti began in the 1970s when artists began creating bigger and better pieces to outdo each other and become more famous than anyone else.
- Creativity in action. Most early graffiti artists came from the ghetto who created something beautiful that required dedication and have succeeded in expressing their identity in a society that tried to keep them anonymous.
- Graffiti and hip-hop. Graffiti has become a major part of the urban environment, which provided a visual inspiration that has encouraged other forms of creativity and expression. It became one of the four elements of hip-hop.
While you’re here, don’t forget to check out our abstract sketches fo rmore design ideas!
Black and White Graffiti Sketch
Graffiti Art Sketch
Who are the Most Popular Graffiti Artists?
- Banksy. Banksy has successfully hidden his real identity, yet, he is undoubtedly the most well-known graffiti artist in the world. His skillful use of stencils and dark sense of humor can easily be recognized in London and other English cities.
- Blek le Rat. The Parisian artist is considered the father of stencil graffiti and painted rat images all around Paris in his early days. Now, his recent works can be viewed in London, Paris, Berlin, and New York City.
- David Choe. This flamboyant artist painted the mural at the Facebook headquarters and asked to be paid in company stocks. He also painted a now well-known portrait of Barack Obama during his presidential campaign.
- Keith Haring. An American artist and social activist whose public art in subways, which expresses concepts of birth, death, sexuality, and war, received public attention and responded to the New York City street culture of the 1980s.
- Eduardo Kobra. Kobra is a muralist from Brazil who is famous for his large, colorful, and realistic murals which can be seen all over his hometown. He is also well-known because of his unique 3D chalk pictures and paintings.
Also, check out the cartoon sketches from this website to get inspired and be creative!