10+ Label Templates in PSD
Avoid the misfortune of calling something other than what it is ever again by using well-designed printed labels. These small and simple things can be used whether you are making labels for your homemade pickles or you are completing your wedding stationery collection with coordinated address labels.
This article is all about sharing label-making tips and design hacks. We will also show multiple examples of label templates in PSD file format to make it easier for those who only know how to Adobe Photoshop for their graphic design projects.
Elements of A Good Label Templates in PSD
Starting off this article, we will be sharing with you a few tips on what makes a good label design. Listed below are the most important characteristics or elements that a label design should possess in order to transform any ordinary label design into a compelling one. Find out what these elements are below:
1. Label Text: The first element to consider when creating any kind of label design is the content or the text included in the design. The label text should match what the product or object it is attached on. For example, if you need to make labels for your homemade strawberry jams, then you should write the correct name on your jar label templates.
2. Typography: Another important element that helps make a compelling label design is the typography design. Even if a label is usually printed on a small piece of sticker paper or cardstock, you should still choose readable fonts. The typeface format, spacing, size, and color also matters as these things will help you tell a better story about your product, service, or event. A good example of a compelling label design using good typography is seen in this round label template.
3. Paper Type and Size: Another physical attribute or element that helps transform a plain label design into something remarkable is the type and size of the paper or cardstock that your label design is printed on. Choose high-quality textured paper or cardstock especially if you want to create a luxurious first impression. You may also choose among different label sizes and shapes. Just ask your local printer if they can format for and print out round labels, irregularly-shaped identification labels, or square gift labels.
4. Design Theme: A label’s design theme is another characteristic that affects its effectiveness. You need to create a label design that follows the general theme of the event or occasion it was created for. For example, if you want to make matching labels for your Christmas presents, you need to make your sure that your Christmas gift labels include design elements that will connect it with the holiday season.
5. Attachment Mechanism: An often neglected aspect of label design is how a label will be attached to an object. Will it be glued on, stuck on, clipped on, or just stapled on? This is something a creator needs to think about especially if you are creating product and bottle labels as these commodities need to be properly labeled before they can be sold to the general public.
These are the top five elements that anyone who is looking to create their own label design should seriously keep in mind during the design-making process. Apply all these elements into your template designs and you will surely end up with compelling label design.
10+ Label Templates in PSD
Check out these downloadable label templates in PSD file format. You may also personalize each template to match your preferences.
Beach Wedding Label Template
Nautical Wedding Label Template
Birthday Address Label Template
CD Label Template
Free Floral Gift Label Template
Gift Label Template
Ginger Tea Bottle Label Template
Holiday Address Label Template
Shipping Label Template
Wedding Favor Label Template
Simple Tips for an Excellent Label Designs
The best labels are those that provides enough information about a product or object without overwhelming a customer with all the design elements it comes with. If you have read the first part of this article, you will know that you can easily create compelling label design by just including all the design elements we have mentioned earlier.
However, if you want to increase the chances that your labels will be used noticed and your products be bought by customers, then the next few design tips will help you in that area. Read more about these easy and actionable tips below.
1. Incorporate your business branding elements: Anyone can easily transform blank label templates into something more just by adding your personal or your business’ branding design elements into the template design. Since a label is only printed on a small piece of paper, you may resize your brand logos, letterhead designs, and company name in a way that they are still readable even in small print.
2. Use a printable label template: Another cost-effective and efficient way to create label designs is by using printable label templates. We have shown a lot of downloadable examples above so that you may use them for your own label design needs. In this article, we have shared PSD label templates only but you may also browse through Template.net for more examples of label templates in Illustrator or Microsoft Word file formats.
3. Check out how your competitors design their labels and improve them: This next tip especially applies to those who are creating product labels or other types of labels for business. We encourage entrepreneurs or small business owners to check out how their competitors are doing in the label design front. If you think that their product labels are better, then find out what makes them tick and try to recreate them for your own product labels. Of course, it goes to say that you should not copy their label design. Instead, you should find out what specific design elements and techniques they are using and apply them to your own business labels.
4. Match the label to your business image or brand: Another important tip that anyone creating a label is to make sure that the label design matches your business image or brand. Or if you are creating wedding labels, it should match with your wedding theme or motif. By following the same image or theme, you are aligning your product or creations toward a bigger objective. This then helps create a sense of unity within your product lines or stationery collections and your customers/guests will see this as a sign of effort and vision.
5. Keep it simple: Lastly, we encourage that you label design creators opt for simplicity in their designs. For example, take a look at this simple Thanksgiving label template. Remember that labels are printed on tiny pieces of paper. If you try to fit in a lot of text and images into the label design, you will risk ending up with a stamp-sized collage or a miniature paper quilt. And that is not a pretty thing to look at. So, do not be overzealous in designing your label templates.
Keep all these design tips in mind and you will not end up with a miniature paper quilt. Feel free to apply other graphic design techniques as you learn more about label designs and creating other kinds of graphic design templates.
Types of Label Templates
Labels are categorized according to the type of object they are attached to and the kind of information they provide. Listed below are the different types of labels based on this classification system.
- Address Labels: Small printed documents that contain the address and/or contact information of the sender of an invitation card.
- Bottle Labels: Labels attached to bottles.
- Gift Labels: Labels attached to presents.
- Product Labels: Labels attached to items that are for sale.
- Wedding Labels: Labels attached to things used in a wedding. Examples are wedding favor label, place card labels, etc.
- Wine Labels: A variation of labels that are attached to bottles of wines and spirits.
Label Templates FAQs
What is a label template in PSD?
A label template in PSD is a digital preset file made using Adobe Photoshop. It contains all the necessary design, formatting, and text elements needed to create a label design. Template files created using Adobe Photoshop will retain a .PSD file extension name.
What is the difference between a label and a tag?
Labels and tags may be used interchangeably as they can both be used to describe the things or object which they are attached on. The two things can often be distinguished by the mechanism of attachment. To illustrate, labels are often attached to objects or things in a more permanent way. They are usually glued to or stuck on an object as seen on product labels and wine labels. Tags, on the other hand, are often only tied or bound to the body of an object or thing as seen on gift tags and wedding favor tags.
What other software programs are used to create label templates?
Transform your home, party, business, or event by paying attention to the tiniest details through the use of any of the label templates we have shared above. For more examples of downloadable label templates and design for various occasions, check out the rest of our website.