10+ Magazine Templates in Illustrator
Magazines are a collection of diverse topics that are generally published. Different industries need a cost-effective method of promoting their services and products. Fashion designers need to be in on the latest trends, car manufacturers have to advertise their latest models, publishing houses have to advertise an author, chemical engineers have to let the world know of their latest technologies, and the list goes on. This is where magazines step in. Magazines are handheld billboards of anything these industries want to advertise. Magazines are very effective in the sense that they have the capacity to hold all these information systematically in a number of pages.
If you are interested in making a magazine, then you are in the right article. This article will explain to you the concepts to making one.
Elements of a Good Magazine
Magazines can provide a tangible experience to readers since it gives them a presence of something physical. An effective magazine can be a sweet getaway to the reader who wants to divulge in a topic of interest. Considering that you are reading this article, that means you are interested in making one. This section briefly discusses the elements of a good magazine.
1. Magazine cover: This is every reader’s gauge for first impressions. This element is very important as every magazine cover’s role is to attract viewers. The cover has to spark an interest on the reader and pull them into a point of purchase or subscription. A good magazine cover basically is composed of these elements:
- Selling line
- Main image
- Cover lines
- Main cover line
2. Headline: A magazine’s headline is what will grab a reader’s attention, that’s why it’s a must that this part should be-be interesting. Construct the headline by playing around with the words to create a message. Witty headlines will do the job. This text has to be bigger compared to the other texts because this is the main point of the article.
3. Introduction: This is commonly a short paragraph summary of the entire article and its task is to set the tone or mood for the reader. Introductory paragraphs should be slightly bigger in font size compared to the body text because it should catch a reader’s attention after reading the headline. They can either invite the reader to keep on reading or drive the reader to skip the article.
4. Body Text: This element is the longest section as it includes a more detailed explanation of what the article really is about. Good body text will be able to hold a reader’s attention up to the end of the article. Always follow a consistent writing technique and check for grammatical and punctuation errors. This part has to be perfect.
5. Images: Always use professionally taken images to input in the pages of your magazine. Blurry photos will distract the reader’s attention away from the content. Good photos will retain their quality even when scaled to a different size. The image also has to be relevant to the context of the article. If it’s for a product, use a real photograph of the actual product.
10+ Magazine Templates in Illustrator
Having to start from scratch in designing a magazine can be time-consuming and a waste of resources. So for your convenience, gathered in this section are some magazine templates that are compatible under Illustrator.
Architecture Magazine Template
Available File Formats
Design and Tech Magazine Template
Available File Formats
Women’s Fitness Magazine Template Sample
Healthy Food Magazine Cover Template
Fashion Magazine Cover Example
Business Magazine Cover Page Sample
Wedding Magazine Cover Template
Sports Magazine Cover Design
Technology Magazine Cover Page Design
Men’s Fitness Magazine Cover Sample
Music Magazine Cover Example
Steps to Make a Great Magazine
Any mediocre magazine won’t make it through the publishing industry. If you are feeling passionate enough to start making a magazine, then read on.
1. Determine your magazine’s theme: First, you have to determine what your magazine will focus. Resting on one main theme will help you narrow down on what topics you should write about or feature.
2. Choose a striking name: After choosing a theme, you can now decide on what will be your magazine name. Don’t get too wordy with this part, the shorter the title, the more impactful it is. The name of your magazine most importantly should embody the entire gist of your content.
3. Write articles or gather stories: Now that you have already decided on a theme and title, it should be easier to write your contents since the scope of your magazine is already determined. Write relevant articles that are compelling. If you must feature a story or an article from another published material, make sure to put in a reference.
4. Gather images: A magazine without pictures will bore readers. These responsibilities of these images are to bring life to the article. Again, use professionally taken pictures to retain the integrity of your magazine. If you must get photos online, invest in stock photos.
5. Choose a magazine template: Magazine templates are the best solution in making a magazine. Aside from being time-conservative, these templates are also pre-designed, which means there wouldn’t be that much to do when it comes to layout and designing. Choose a magazine template that is relevant to the focus of your magazine.
6. Open Illustrator: This article presents templates that are Illustrator compatible. Choose a template of your choice then edit it on Illustrator. The template will be saved with a file extension name of .ai.
7. Take time to preview everything: To save you unnecessary big amounts of cash, take time to preview the entire magazine template. Make sure that the contents are relevant, the images are of high quality, and the layout is perfect.
8. Print your magazine: Go to a professional printing store. Reproducing magazines can be expensive but they are a very effective marketing strategy, so invest in it. Choose between a glossy paper finish and a matte paper finish.
Tips for a Great Magazine
- Set a deadline: Establishing a due date for your magazine will help you stay focus in producing it. The same applies most especially if your magazine is for the latest topical issues or if it’s for a specific yearly event. Producing a Christmas-themed magazine on the month of March won’t make sense.
- Include a table of contents: Including a table of contents while help your magazine look more systematized. Not all topics will appeal to a reader, so including this can help readers quickly choose a topic of interest to read. Also, a table of contents will help a reader quickly pick up on where he/she last read.
Types of Magazines
There are different types of magazines, each differentiated by their target audience and purpose. Listed below are the types of magazines:
- Consumer: These type of magazines direct the main theme of their magazine on a specific target audience. The topics are narrowed down to a certain product, need, or interest such as culinary or architecture magazines. An example is a design & tech magazine that mainly focuses on new technologies and would generally appeal to people who are interested in science and mechanics.
- Trade & professional: Trade and professional magazines are generally made for business people. The topics in these kinds of magazines revolve around trade and commerce.
- In- house: These magazines are made for employees or members of a business or company. In-house magazines are often distributed as subscription magazines or free magazines to serve the need of their customers.
Sizes of Magazines
The magazine templates included in this article have a standard size of 8.5 x 11 inches. Other magazine sizes are 5.5 x 8.2 inches, 5.3 x 8.3 inches, and 5.5 x 7.4 inches.
FAQs about Magazines
How will I choose a topic for my magazine articles?
Determine your target audience to be able to narrow down choices for article topics. If your target audience is girls, it is likely expected that the topics would cover beauty care products, fashion and career options for strong, independent women. If your target audience is boys, you would likely write about cars, career options, or gadgets.
I am opting for a minimal magazine layout, is it still necessary to put pictures?
Preferably yes, it is necessary. Pictures will attract your readers and will give them an insight into what you are talking about. If you are aiming for a minimal magazine, maybe you can edit your pictures to make them look soft, or avoid pictures that have very loud colors.
What paper finish should I use to print my magazines?
It is recommended that you use a glossy paper finish. The shiny coating will help retain the vibrant colors of your magazine. It will also help preserve the durability of the pages.