Do businesses and organizations really need media kits? The short answer is YES. After all, they are unique marketing collaterals in a world filled with overused TV, print, and radio advertisements.
This article has everything you need to know about media kit templates and designs. So if you want to create the best marketing media kits for your personal brand or business, you are in the right place.
An effective media kit is one that accurately reflects your vision and values as a personal or business brand in addition to being a visually appealing document.
And it’s relatively easy to achieve this. Just incorporate the five core design characteristics or elements that we have listed below. Pay attention to how your media kit design embodies these design qualities and you will have a creative and functional media kit at the end of the day.
1. Organized Layout: As reading materials, media kits need to follow an organized and clean layout. Doing so will make the document easier to read and comprehend its content. Make sure to integrate this into your media kit design and your customers or readers will thank you for it.
2. Readable Typography: Another characteristic that a good media kit design should embody is the use of readable typefaces. Pay attention to the font styles, sizes, kerning, and formatting as they help increase readability by allowing readers to focus on the content instead of other extraneous details.
3. Relevant and Accurate Information: A media kit is only as effective as its content. Make sure that you research your company’s or brand’s roots and current business strategies well. Then, present all this information in an engaging manner.
4. Unique Theme: The most compelling media kits are those that follow a uniform yet unique design theme. Choose a theme or motif that relates to your brand strategy well. For example, if you are creating a bakeshop media kit, make sure that all the design and text elements used in the document relate to baking and your love to share food with others.
And that’s it! With these basic elements in mind, you will already have the makings of an effective press kit. Combine this knowledge with all the template examples and a few more best practice tips we will be sharing throughout this article.
Check out all of the media kit templates in Word file format embedded below. Each editable template is also available in other file formats like Adobe Photoshop (PSD), Illustrator (AI), InDesign (INDD), and Microsoft Publisher (PUB).
Just integrating all the core design elements and characteristics of a good media kit is sometimes not enough. If you want to end up with a truly engaging and memorable media kits, we have compiled a few best practice tips below. Study and be sure to apply them to your own media kit designs soon.
1. Download a printable media kit template: Use any of the free and premium media kit templates shared in this article. They can help you save time and money since you will no longer need to craft a media kit template from scratch. Also, these printables takes the creative stress away since all the formatting elements have been taken cared of.
2. Add branding design elements: Incorporate your business’ branding elements like your company logo or letterhead design as they help increase brand recall.
3. Incorporate data visualization tools: When presenting your business’ financial information, do away with long paragraphs and walls of text. Instead, use data visualization tools like graphs, tables, flow charts as they can help present numerical data in an easy-to-understand manner.
4. Use high-quality images: Source and download high-quality and high-resolution images from legitimate sites. Hire a professional photographer if you want original and well-taken photos of your own products, business location, or services.
5. Create a compelling brand narrative: Determine your business’ or organization’s image or identity first. Then, figure out a unique voice that will allow you to tell this story in the best possible manner. You may have to consult with a brand strategist or copywriter if you want to ace this part of the media kit creation process.
Listed below are different types of media kits or press kits based on the graphic design software used to create them. Each media kit type is linked to a curated page of various media kit template examples.
All the printable media kit templates shared in this article follow the standard US letter printing size which is 8.5 inches by 11 inches. Note that this page size is not set in stone. You may follow a different printing size depending on your personal and business needs.
The two terms refer to the same thing. Both are pre-made promotional materials about a business, product, or event and are given to reporters, writers, social media influencers, and other media outlets.
A media kit template is a preset document file created using Microsoft Word. It contains all the necessary text placeholders, visual elements, layout, and formatting styles needed to make a media kit design. All MS Word files are saved with either a .DOC or .DOCX file extension name.
As promotional materials, a media kit should include the following pieces of information:
Crafting a media kit that accurately represents your brand or business takes time. Study and follow all the tips that we have shared above. And, do not forget to stay true to your image or identity during the entire time. This way, you will have an easier time translating your business or personal values and vision into the written word.
For more graphic design and business document templates, check out the rest of our website.