Just like any other kinds of printed marketing materials, posters take a lot of time and effort to create. And even if you are only designing a printed poster for personal use, you still have to consider more or less the same things just to come up with original poster designs.
In this article, we will help take the guesswork out of poster-making as we provide actionable tips and guidelines on how to create or choose effective poster designs. Furthermore, we are also sharing a few examples of downloadable poster templates in Apple Pages file format. Check them all out below!
How is a compelling poster design created? That is the number one question in most people’s minds when they are tasked with creating any kind of poster. And it is an absolutely normal thing to consider since most people only want to have the best final output.
In the next few paragraphs, we are sharing the top five elements that, when considered together, can help anyone create compelling poster designs. Read and study what each element or design characteristic is below.
1. Typography: The most compelling posters are those that are both informative and noticeable. And to achieve this, a poster should possess well-designed typography. Carefully choose the typeface family and font styles used to write the text in your poster. Also, do not forget to pay attention to the font sizes, font colors, the font spacing, and the overall look of all the text elements.
2. Layout: In addition to choosing well-designed and appropriate font styles, marketers and entrepreneurs should also follow an organized poster layout. This means that all the graphic design and text elements used in your poster design are arranged in a creative yet logical manner. Doing so helps make the information in your poster easier to read and understand.
3. Call To Action: Another important element that positively transforms any regular poster design is the use of a persuasive Call To Action. This can range from writing aggressive sales copy like “Avail of this $5 Discount Now” to subtler suggestions like “Learn More” or “Visit Our Website”. The Call To Action should also be the first thing that a customer or reader sees. It should be worded in a way that hooks a person’s attention and wanting them to find out more about what the poster was for.
4. Color Scheme: The colors used in a project is another element that can make or break a poster design. Remember, you have to make your advertisement poster as eye-catching as possible. And one of the easiest ways to do this is through the use of attractive colors. Bold red, bright blues, even pinks, and oranges can help liven up a regular poster design. Choose a color palette that will hook a customer or reader but one that does not drown out the poster’s content.
5. Theme: Lastly, remember to start with a theme for any poster design you create. Or, if you are using pre-made poster templates, choose a design that already follows a coherent theme. This design element is essential because it helps create a unified and reliable perception for the event, service, product, or brand your poster was all about.
Combine all these essential design elements and you will reap only positive results soon. Do not forget to make room for your own creative intuition. Only do or apply certain design elements if you truly feel that they will add value to your own poster design.
Embedded below are fully editable poster templates. Each printable template included in this article is saved as an Apple Pages file document. This means that you will need to have Apple Pages installed on your Mac computer before you can edit the template.
Poster-making is not an easy feat. Careful planning is needed just to create unique poster designs that turns heads and spurs action. Below, we have prepared a step by step guide on how to create a poster design using any graphic design software tools.
Read the steps closely. Take notes if you must. And practice a lot of times until you perfect your own graphic design and editing prowess.
1. Choose a poster theme and color palette: The first step is to choose a theme and color scheme to follow for your poster. These two elements should be connected with your marketing plan and the type brand or business that it was created for. To illustrate, if you want to increase ticket sales to a retro music concert, it is best to design a vintage music concert poster to use to promote the event.
2. Gather all the design and visual elements needed for the poster: Next, start compiling all the images, font styles, layout styles, icons, headers, illustrations, and other visual elements that you think you can use for your own poster. Save them in one folder for easy retrieval.
3. Prepare a draft of the content or wording that will be used on the poster: After that, do not forget to write the content that will be included in your poster. This may range from the event details to the specific viewpoints you wish to convey to anyone reading the poster. Also, save this file in the same folder where all the graphic elements were stored.
4. Choose a poster size: Then, it is time to decide on what your poster’s size will be. You may choose the standard A3 paper size if you are only creating a sports poster meant to be placed in your bedroom walls. Or, you may also decide on larger printing sizes if you want to design promotional posters.
5. Open Apple Pages and begin combining all the design and text elements: Now, it is time to open up your Mac and launch Apple Pages. Begin with a blank template and then start combining all the text and design elements that you have compiled earlier. Follow the layout and theme that you have selected earlier too.
6. Incorporate your branding design elements: Complete any blank card template by adding your personal or your business branding design elements. Doing so will help promote brand recognizability.
7. Review the template and make all the necessary changes: When all the template editing and customization tasks are done, it is time to have another person evaluate your finished template. Ask him or her to look for spelling errors, grammar mistakes, and other issues. Also, pay attention to the print bleed measurements.
8. It’s time to print: After reviewing the poster template design, save the final design on your computer or on your hard drive. And then, it is finally time to print them out! Use your home or office printer if you are only printing smaller sized posters. Go to a professional print shop if you want multiple higher quality prints and if you require larger print sizes.
Listed below are different types of posters. This is a non-official classification system since it only groups posters according to the poster’s general purpose.
There is no standard printing size for posters. Designers, marketers, and business owners may format and choose a poster size depending on their personal preferences and available ad spaces. All of the printable poster templates shared in this article follow the 11 inches by 17 inches or A3 paper printing sizes.
Poster templates are preset digital graphic design files created using Apple Pages. As a graphic design file, it contains font, text, placeholder, image, illustration, layout, and formatting style files needed to create a poster design. Templates created using Apple Pages will have a .pages file extension name.
Aside from Apple Pages, poster templates may also be created using various other graphic design software and editing software tools. Examples of which are Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Microsoft Word, and Publisher.
Business posters are best placed on high traffic places like public transport stations, near store counters, reception areas, conferences, cafes, restaurants, libraries, and a lot more. Do remember that some countries and states may have existing laws that prevent posting advertising materials on public spaces. Be sure to check your local laws beforehand.
Use any of the free and premium poster templates included in this article to help promote your business, service, event, or brand. Don’t forget to bookmark this article so that it will be easier for you to review the tips and examples shown above. And to see more examples of both design and business templates, check out the rest of our website.