When it comes to print advertising, posters and flyers are considered top brass perhaps due to how easy and cost-effective they can be created. Also, printed posters serve as one of the go-to printed materials that can either impress or disinterest people in trying out a certain service, product, personality, movie, event, or even a political stance.
So if you are in the market for an affordable yet compelling printed marketing collateral that will help propel your business, event, or organization, then you should consider creating a well-designed poster. This article is filled with countless tips on poster-making and with numerous examples of poster templates in Illustrator file format.
Delve deeper into the world of poster design as we share with you the top elements that help make an effective poster. Each element is presented with concrete examples so that you know how to spot them and, later on, apply them into your design creation process.
1. Lettering Style: Typography or how the letters or text are styled and presented in your poster is another factor that makes or breaks a poster design. To create the best poster that you could possibly create, pay special attention to the typefaces, font styles, font sizes, font colors, font spacing, kerning, and how all these correlate with the visual theme you want to create for your poster.
2. Relevance to the Poster’s Purpose: Another element or characteristic that affects a poster design’s effectiveness is its relevance to the poster’s purpose. Choose or create a poster design that explicitly showcases what the poster is for. For example, if you are the event planner or organizer of a music concert, it is best to choose a poster design that either features the bands or artists performing at the concert. Doing otherwise will not help make your planned event more marketable.
3. Color Scheme: Color is another element that helps transform an ordinary poster design into something more. Choose complementary colors. Choose colors that pop so that the poster can turn heads and entice people to attend or be aware of the event you are planning.
4. Content: To create a good poster design, one should not forget to include all the event, product, or service information. A poster should incorporate all these pieces of information without making the poster design too cluttered or filled with just text. Create a poster design that melds all these elements seamlessly. There should still be visual flow despite combining both text and graphic elements on the poster design.
5. Branding Elements: Another feature that should be included in any poster design are your business or organization’s branding design elements. This includes but is not limited to your logo, logotype, wordmark, letterhead design, etc. Be subtle when including these branding elements into your poster design. Designers often do this by adding the business branding elements as part of the poster fine print.
It is best to incorporate all these elements into your own poster design. When done well, you will begin to see positive feedback from customers, clients, or readers after just seeing your poster design.
Embedded below are various editable poster templates in Illustrator file formats. Create different kinds of posters—from bakery posters to movie night posters—using any of these pre-formatted poster templates as a base.
Incorporating all the design elements that we have shared above into your own poster may not be enough to create a truly compelling poster design. That is why we are sharing a few more design tips that anyone may apply to their own poster designs. Find out what these tips are below and study how you may apply them to your own poster designs.
1. Emphasize a Call To Action: It is important to include a Call To Action in your poster design to encourage your customers to do something after acquiring the necessary knowledge from your poster. This first tip especially applies to those who are creating posters for their business or organization. To illustrate, if you have a created a bakery poster for your business, you stand to gain more customers and more earnings if you include a ‘Buy Now’ or ‘Try Our French Bread’ call-to-action in the poster design.
2. Take Advantage of Negative Space: Another helpful tip that can help dramatically improve your poster design is to make use of negative space. This refers to the blank areas in your poster. A good poster does not have to be filled with design elements and text. Negative space allows your design to breathe and tells readers to focus their attention on a specific object or information on the poster design. When done well, you will have a poster design that is both full of information and pleasing to the eye.
3. Consider The Poster’s Placement: When designing a poster, make sure that your design fits where the poster will be placed. For example, if the posters will be placed in alleyways or walls near your business establishment, then these posters need to be different from the surface that they are stuck on. This way, people can easily notice the posters as they pass by your establishment.
4. Use advanced printing techniques: Posters need to be printed on thick cardstock to ensure that they last through different kinds of weather. To make more durable posters, ask your local print shop what kind of advanced printing methods they offer. Choose a printing technique that is affordable for you or your business and one that allows you to get long-lasting printed posters.
Do not forget to apply all these tips into your own design process. You will be surprised at how amazing the final poster design will be.
Posters may be classified according to the information they contain and their end purpose. Listed below are the most types of posters. Find out what they are:
A poster template in PSD is a digital file that contains all the font, layout, image, and text elements needed to create a poster design using Adobe Photoshop. To create and/or edit a PSD template, you will need to have this graphic design software downloaded and installed on your computer or device first.
Posters are printed just like other regular print marketing collaterals. High-end commercial printers may be used if you want posters that do not follow standard printing sizes. For this kind of printing, it is best to consult your local print shop.
A poster is a piece of paper filled with informative and enticing design and is intended to adhere to a wall or flat surface. A flyer design, on the other hand, is a piece of paper containing more or less the same pieces of information but are intended to be given out or distributed to other people. Both may act as printed marketing materials.
Now that you have gone over the different tips necessary for creating impeccable poster designs, we hope that you will take up your marketing skills a notch by learning to combine the use of posters with other advertising strategies. For example, you may implement a social media marketing campaign or distribute discount vouchers as part of your brand’s customer engagement initiative.