Party or event planning is not complete with the creation of a printed program. These simple documents allow you to organize any type of gathering while ensuring that all guests or attendees enjoy the event as well.
So if you are an event planner or organizer and you are looking for an easy to create yet aesthetically pleasing program design, then this article is for you. In the next few paragraphs, we will be sharing best practice tips on program-making. Examples of program templates are also embedded in this article.
Understanding how and what makes a printed program works is essential in creating a compelling one. That is why we are first sharing the essential elements of a good program below. Take your time in studying each element and how you can best incorporate them into your own designs.
1. Comprehensive Event Details: Perhaps the most significant element that a program should embody is the inclusion of comprehensive party event details. Remember, a program is an informational tool that guests, visitors, and attendees will devour during the event or occasion. It needs to contain all the necessary pieces of information that will equip them for the event.
2. Organized Layout: The next element that readily transforms a program design is an organized layout. There should be an intuitive visual flow just by looking at the program. Making sure that your program follows an organized layout translates to more readable and aesthetically pleasing program designs. An organized layout design does not always mean you have to choose a minimalist event program template design. You may choose other program designs that follow different themes as long as all the text and graphic elements should work well together and not one-up the other.
3. Color Choice: Another important design element that makes an effective program is color. Understanding of even basic color theory allows you to create a reading material that will appeal to a lot of people. As a design hack, you may consult a color chart to know what specific colors work well together and what colors do not.
4. Lettering Style: Typography design plays an important role in creating any kind of document. This applies when making programs as well. To make a more readable printed program, choose typefaces, font size, colors, kerning, and overall formatting styles that do not overpower the content of the program. This does not mean, however, that you need to choose boring font styles. In fact, it means that you need to find those typefaces that complement your event’s theme without overpowering the overall document design.
5. Relevance to the Event Theme: All the design elements mentioned above only work well when they revolve around a single coherent theme. For a printed program to do well, it should follow the same design theme that is used for the event you are planning. For example, if you are planning the reception party of a floral-themed wedding, it is best to use the same floral wedding elements in your wedding reception program design.
Do not hesitate to incorporate all these characteristics or elements when completing your own program designs. Continue reading the rest of this article for more design management tips and tricks.
Take a look at all these program templates in PSD file format. Be inspired with each template design and be ready to jumpstart your own creative process. These templates are fully customizable and are available in multiple file download formats.
When it comes to completing any kind of graphic design or document-making project, learning a few more tips that worked well for others can greatly help. Listed below are program-making must-dos that anyone one looking to create excellent program designs should try out at least once in their lives.
1. Try a printable program template: The first (and highly recommended) tip for a compelling printed program is the use of a pre-formatted program template. These preset templates can help you save time and money when making any kind of program design. They are fully editable and you can remove or add any design or text element according to your preferences.
2. Practice your editing skills: Whether you are using printable templates or you just want to start creating one from scratch, graphic design and editing knowledge is important. That is why we recommend that you take a few online design courses or self-study on your own. This way, you will not have to claw your way around each graphic design software tool when the time comes for you to edit a downloaded template. Also, when you know how to do proper editing using the right software tool, more creative possibilities are open for you.
3. Apply negative space: We have briefly touched on this topic when we mentioned visual hierarchy and layout design at the start of this article. But it bears repeating because this is one area where most program designs fail. And that is the use of negative space. This means harnessing blank space to help your design breath. This design technique also allows you to highlight the right things within your program.
4. Use high-quality paper: Do not forget to pay attention to the type of paper used for printing your programs. Use high-quality and thick paper or cardstock as they are sturdy and last longer. Using high-quality paper also helps create a favorable impression for your event. This is why most formal wedding events make use of wedding programs that are printed on cardstock and other specialty paper.
5. Add branding elements: Incorporating one’s branding elements means adding unique self-identifying marks to your design to differentiate yourself from the crowd. This can be done by individuals, couples, businesses, organization, or brands. A good example is a brand logo or letterhead design. They can be added to a conference program design and help create legitimacy to the event. For programs created for personal use like wedding programs, you may add your wedding monograms instead.
6. Incorporate advanced printing techniques: For those who want more attention-grabbing printed program designs, you may explore the use of advanced printing techniques. A few examples are embossed printing, foil printing, stenciling, and papercutting. With these printing techniques, any design elements used in your program design can be printed with specialized ink or be cut-out following intricate designs. To take advantage of these printing techniques, make sure to contact your local print shop owner first.
We hope that by learning all the additional tips above, you will gain more confidence in creating your own program designs. As you grow accustomed to the graphic design process, you will learn more tips and tricks on how to make your workflow easier. Keep an open mind so that you can easily integrate them into your creative process.
Listed below are the most common pieces of information stated in a program.
Programs are categorized according to the type of event they are created for. We have listed a few examples of the different types of programs below.
Programs may be printed on different paper sizes. But for the sake of uniformity, most of the free printable templates included in this article follow the 5 inches by 7 inches (A6 or A5) and 8.5 inches by 11 inches (letter) paper sizes.
A program template in PSD is graphic design file pre-made using Adobe Photoshop. It contains all the text placeholders, images, illustrations, headers, layouts, and other design elements needed for creating a program design. All templates created and stored using Adobe Photoshop are stored with a .PSD file extension name.
The noun program refers to a document that describes an event or gathering while the noun schedule refers to a pre-determined plan for a specific period of time. A timetable document is an organized list of all the pre-determined things or actions that will occur within a specific period of time. In some countries like the United States, timetables and schedules can be used interchangeably.
In this article, we share program templates created using Adobe Photoshop. But you are not limited to creating a printed program with that software tool alone. You may also use other graphic design and editing software programs like Microsoft Publisher, Word, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Apple Pages.
Printed programs are best used if you want to guide the guests or attendees as to what will occur during an event or gathering. Programs will help set proper expectations for your guests while making sure that the event is fully organized. This way, they can also best plan out their time during the said event or gathering.
With the help of all the design tips and the free downloadable template examples shared above, your arsenal for creating compelling printed programs should be complete. Complement all these knowledge with an open and creative prowess and your event will surely be a success.
To get your hands on new and free graphic design and business templates, check the rest of our website. Or, better yet, sign up for our exclusive newsletter.