Marketing is one of an entrepreneur’s most important tasks. And for most, it can be difficult to do effectively especially when faced with a limited budget and a tight deadline. In recent times, marketers have come up with more cost-effective ways to advertise a business, service, or event. A good example is through the use of roll-up banners.
This article is a comprehensive guide of everything any business owner or marketer should know about roll-up banners. Actionable tips and downloadable banner templates are included so make sure to read until the end of the article.
Creating any kind of print advertising materials needs special skill. You have to consider multiple factors relating to your business and the impression you wish to create. To help make sense of the entire banner creation process, we have listed down the five essential elements that should be present in roll-up banner designs.
By making sure that each of these elements is incorporated into your banner design, you can be assured of having an effective roll-up advertising banner. Find out what the elements of a good roll-up banner are below:
1. Typography: When designing a roll-up banner or when customizing a pre-made banner template, always make sure to use bold and clear typography. This makes any text content of a banner design more readable. Choose up to three font styles that belong to the same typeface family.
2. Layout: A good roll-up banner design is one that has a clean layout. This means that the arrangement of the different text and graphic design elements should be done strategically without confusing and boring anyone who looks and reads the banner. This aspect is often already taken cared of when you choose printable banner templates. But if you are creating a roll-up banner design from scratch, you need to create a banner layout yourself.
3. Color: Another element that helps create a good roll-up banner design is the intelligent use of color. If you want your roll-up banner to stand out, it is best to use striking and complementary color palettes. Using the same color combination as your official company or business colors may also help in increasing brand recall.
4. Ad Copy: The use of persuasive yet subtle words and phrases is another hallmark of a good roll-up banner design. Remember, a banner is meant to promote a service or product. The ad copy should match this particular goal without being too over-the-top. Customers will notice when they see an ad is trying too hard to sell them something. Practice your copywriting skills or hire an expert for the job if you want to nail this aspect of business marketing.
5. Strategic Location: An advertisement roll-up banner‘s location is another element that makes the banner effective or not. Marketers and business owners should factor this in when they planning the creation of this type of print advertising material. To illustrate, roll-up banners will work well when placed in well-trafficked locations of a store like the entrance, the lobby, or right outside a booth in a conference.
Incorporate all these elements into the roll-up banner that you are creating and you will begin to see immediate results. Feel free to improve upon this list as you become more experienced in creating roll-up banners for your own business.
Embedded below are 10+ roll-up banner templates that you can easily download and customize to match your business or personal needs. As a reminder, most of the printable templates included here are available as Photoshop and Illustrator templates. Make sure that you have the right graphic design software programs installed on your computer before you download them.
Roll-up banners, sometimes called roller banners or pull-up banners, have become an essential marketing tool for a lot of businesses. That is why if you want to increase your business’ edge without unnecessarily taking away time and money from your business operation, you need to learn how to create excellent roll-up banners.
Listed below are a few tips on how any marketer or business owner can transform their simple roll-up banners into something more appealing for their customers.
1. Add business branding elements: Roll-up banners mainly serve as printed promotional materials. Entrepreneurs should take advantage of this by adding their official business branding elements to the banner design. To illustrate, add your business logo or business letterhead design into the banner to help increase brand recognizability.
2. Follow visual hierarchy: This refers to the process of arranging all the text and graphic elements within your design according to their importance. So when designing or choosing a roll-up banner, make sure that that the business name, promo name, and branding images are positioned and sized well. For example, if you are creating a fashion roll-up banner, it is better to emphasize the amount of discount that your store offers by making this piece of text or graphics bigger. You may also do this with images and other call-to-action messaging.
3. Choose a complementary color palette: Following the right visual hierarchy in your card design may not work if you do not also choose a complementary color scheme for your banner design. As printed advertising material, a roll-up banner needs to sport striking color in order to catch people’s attention. Therefore, business owners and event planners should choose a roll-up banner design that already follows a color scheme that will not bombard a reader’s sense of sight.
4. Decide on a theme: In conjunction with choosing a color scheme for your banner design, it also pays to decide on a theme or motif for your entire business marketing campaign. This theme may range from the use of floral designs to the implicit friendly appeal you want to have for your roll-up banners and, by extension, to your business. Choose a theme that will best represent your business or the product that you are promoting.
5. Mix images with textual content: Another important tip is to incorporate both text and images into a roll-up banner design. A picture may paint a thousand words but consumers still like or need to be told. A good roll-up banner design attracts customers with a high-quality and relevant image but it hooks customers with the text (ad copy) that comes with the picture.
6. Position the banner strategically: As we have mentioned earlier, a roll-up banner’s location is another factor that determines whether your advertising is effective or not. Hence, marketers and entrepreneurs should plan where they can best position their roll-up banners. Just like how sports billboard banners are strategically placed near highways and roadsides for drivers and commuters to see, you should also determine the key locations where you can best benefit from your roll-up banners.
Designing roll-up banners can be relatively easy now that you have learned these simple tips on how to create an effective banner. Over time, applying these tips into your banner creation process will be second nature.
There are no official types of roll-up banners. Instead, they may be classified according to the specific entity or organization that has created them. For example, there can be roll-up banners created by real estate agents and these banners will be called real estate roll-up banners.
Most roll-up banners follow the standard size of 30 inches by 70 inches. However, you may change this depending on the type and size of banner stands you are using.
What is a roll-up banner template?
A roll-up banner template is a pre-made and pre-formatted digital file used for creating roll-up banner designs. These digital templates will come with text placeholders, image placeholders, formatting styles, and other design elements needed to create a final digital banner template. Its end-users will still need to customize this pre-made template and add his/her own business details and ad copy.
What is the difference between a roll-up banner and a standee?
A roll-up banner is a rectangular banner usually printed on a tarpaulin or other similar material. It is supported by banner stands that are made from steel or durable plastic.
On the other hand, a standee is an advertising material that is usually made with thick paper or cardboard. It is supported by foam boards. They can have the same one-dimensional rectangular banner format. Or, they can also follow a three-dimensional shape and resemble actual objects, people, or scenes.
What program to use when creating roll-up banners?
The most common software programs used to create roll-up banners are Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. Other kinds of software tools may also be used.
In this article, you have learned what roll-up banners are, how to create them, and what pre-made banner templates to use for your next marketing project. Browse through the rest of our website for more tips and to see more examples of these printable banner templates.