For a small and sometimes negligible object, a lot of things are considered before creating any kind of tag design. From gift tags to label tags and thank you tags to whatever kind of object and gift accouterment you want to create, we have prepared this article with that in mind.
In the next few paragraphs, you will learn countless tips on how to design your own tags. We will also show numerous examples of tag template designs that anyone can easily download and quickly edit for personal or commercial use.
Listed below are the top five essential elements that should be present in any tag design for it to be considered as an effective and compelling print marketing tool. Read on…
1. Design Theme: The first element to consider when creating any kind of printed tag is its theme. One should choose a theme that nicely ties up the reasonably the tag was created and its creator’s preferences. For example, if you are planning a floral-themed birthday party and you wish to create party favor tags, you should make sure that these tags follow the same theme as the party.
2. Lettering Style: Another design element that can easily transform any magic tag design is its lettering style. Choose font styles and format them according to the tone and effect you want for the event these tags will be used in. For instance, use big bold font styles of you want your tags to stand out.
3. Paper Quality: Also, it pays to factor in the quality of the printing material you use for any kind of tag design you are making. This is important especially if you want to add impact to any tag you create. For a more luxurious effect, choose thick paper or cardstock. You may also choose textured paper or those that have built-in patterns.
4. Color Scheme: Another design element that helps make a compelling tag design is its color scheme. Color, after all, is one of the first things that affect our sense of sight. And to make an object stand out, make sure that it is paired with a colorful tag. Most often, printed tags often follow the official color scheme or color palette set forth by the event planner or organizer. Tags can also use the same color combination that the business establishment or company uses for their own branding design elements. As the creator of a tag design, it is in your hands on what specific color scheme to follow.
5. Attachment Mechanism: The last and most important element for any tag design is its attachment mechanism. This refers to the way that a tag is attached or connected to the object it is intended to label or describe. The most common types of tag attachments come in the form of strings or ribbons where one end of the tag is bored with a hole and a string is looped through it. The other end of this string is then tied to the main object it needs to label or describe. As the tag creator, you need to decide how to best attach your tags to its intended object. The more convenient and easy to use the attachment mechanism is, the more effective the tag becomes.
And those are the top five design elements that anyone who seeks to create any kind of tag should follow. The list of design elements written above is not an exhaustive list. As you grow in your skill as a tag designer and creator, you will recognize a few more design tricks and elements to consider in order to create more compelling tags and other graphic design projects.
Shown below are tag templates in PSD file format that anyone can download and use for whatever design project they are working on. Most of these printable templates are also available in other file download formats to make them easier to edit if you do not have Adobe Photoshop installed on your computer.
In the age of the internet, almost anything can be learned online. This article is a perfect example of that. We are sharing a step by step guide on how to create excellent tag designs below. Make sure to read and reread these steps to familiarize yourself with this kind of creative endeavor.
1. Select a motif or theme for your tag design: Choose a theme that best connects the tag to the object it is attached to. And if you are creating a tag design for something that is used as a marketing tool, you may choose a design theme that will remind customers of your brand, business or product.
2. Find the right tag size and paper type: After that preliminary step, do not forget to decide on what paper and printing size to use for your printed tags. Listed on the latter part of this article are different types of tags and their corresponding paper sizes. Choose a tag size, shape, and printing material that will match your business or personal needs.
3. Prepare all design and text elements that you want to incorporate in your tag design: Next, it is time to compile all the text and design elements that you want to include in your tag design. Choose high-quality images or illustrations. Create a draft of the text, ad copy, or wording that you wish to use. Then save all these files in one folder on your computer.
4. Start creating: The first method for making tag design is by manually crafting each tag. This way, each handmade tag design can be one-of-a-kind. But if you lack the crafting skills or if you just want an easy and quick tag-making journey, then it is best to use printable blank gift tag templates instead. Feel free to check out any of the free and premium tag templates embedded in this article.
5. Finalize the tag design: Once you are done making all the creative decisions for your tag design, it is time to save the file and have it proofread or evaluated by another person. Make changes to the design if you deem it necessary. Save the file.
6. Print out the tag template: You have reached the last step of the tag-making process. It is now time for printing the template. If you are only printing a few tags, you are free to use your home or office printer. However, if you want higher printing quality, then you may take the tag design file to your local print shop and have it printed there.
There is no standard classification system for tags. In this article, however, we have divided tags into two main categories. They are:
In this article, most of the free and premium tag templates that we that are embedded above follow the 2.13 inches by 4 inches paper size.
A tag template is any pre-formatted graphic design file created using Adobe Photoshop. It is called a tag template because it contains all the text, font, image, layout, and formatting elements needed to create a digital tag design. Templates created using Adobe Photoshop will have a .PSD file extension name.
To create a tag template design, graphic design and compositing tools are needed. Examples of these software programs are Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Microsoft Word, or Publisher.
Gift tags and gift labels are terms that are often used interchangeably since they both serve the main purpose. This purpose is to provide information on who or what the thing is for. They are also used to describe the object they are attached on. Their main difference lies in their attachment mechanisms. Labels are often stuck on the body of a gift or an object while gift tags will are bound with a ribbon or string, tucked on, or clipped to the body of the gift item.
Due to their size, tags are best laid on one standard paper size. This way, there will be multiple tags on one paper or cardstock. Each tag is then cut out and used individually. This strategy saves a creator or designer both time and money.
Tag-making can easily be one of the hardest crafting and design tasks there is. However, it is a good thing that printable tag templates are now easily available to make your job easier. For more information on tag-making and to take inspiration from various tag template examples, check out the rest of Template.net.