What Is a Data Analyst Job Description?
A data analyst job description is a document that explains the role of the said position while identifying the skills and qualifications required. In other words, this document helps job seekers to understand the role of the data analyst.
How to Create a Data Analyst Job Description
According to the World Economic Forum, there will be an increase in the demand for data analysts in 2020. If your company needs someone to analyze and interpret your system’s data, you’ll need an enticing job description. Below, we have guidelines to help you make one.
1. Explain Briefly the Work Environment
Job descriptions always start with a job summary, but mentioning the work environment is commonly overlooked. Why is it important to do so? Because job seekers want to know if the environment fits their personality. Since this falls under the summary, keep it short and direct.
2. Identify the Tasks and Responsibilities Involved
An important section in a job description is the list of duties and responsibilities. This provides job seekers with the tasks that they’ll be doing if they are hired. Apart from gathering and analyzing data, what other tasks are assigned to the employee? Make sure to include everything here without going overboard with it.
3. Identify the Skills Required for the Job
Another important section in any type of job description is the list of skills. This section informs job seekers about the skills and key competencies that they should possess to be considered qualified. Like the list of responsibilities, make this section realistic, and don’t overwhelm readers with too many requirements.
4. Entice Job Seekers by Mentioning Benefits
Since we’re trying to make this job description enticing, why not do it by mentioning some benefits that employees can enjoy? We’re not talking about the salary, we’re talking about bonuses, incentives, insurances, etc.
What is the purpose of job descriptions?
Generally speaking, the purpose of job descriptions is to ensure that a vacant position is filled by a person who’s fully competent and determined. Another purpose of job descriptions is to help the job seeker understand what the role is about.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a data analyst?
- Gathers data from primary and secondary sources.
- Identifies and interprets patterns in complex or big data.
- Coordinates with a QA analyst to check imported data.
- Tests and implements new or updated systems.
- Writes reports about one or multiple data systems.
How is data analysis performed?
- Qualitative research - The data that is gathered, analyzed, and interpreted is presented through words, images, and other forms of graphics.
- Quantitative research - The data involved in this research is raw and is converted to numbers for easy analysis and interpretation.
What are the different types of data analytics?
- Descriptive - This type summarizes and converts raw data into something that’s understandable.
- Diagnostic - This type thoroughly assesses and analyzes issues to come up with effective solutions.
- Predictive - This type uses statistical and analytical models to forecast possible outcomes.
- Prescriptive - This type explains the processes through steps and provides one or multiple ways to analyze data.
How much is the average salary of data analysts?
According to Glassdoor, data analysts in the US earn an average base salary of $62,453 a year. But according to Indeed, data analysts are paid an average annual salary of $73,942.