What Is an Engineering Manager Job Description?
This is a written document that explains thoroughly what an engineering manager does and the key competencies needed to become one. Not only is this used to screen aspiring engineering managers, but it can also be used by the company for training and evaluation purposes.
How to Create an Engineering Manager Job Description
According to the website, Indeed, 71% of US engineering managers are contented with their salaries. If you’re looking for someone to work as an engineering manager in your company, we have tips below to help you create an enticing job description.
1. Specify the Job Title in the Document
The best way to find the perfect person for the position is by specifying the title. Indicate if you’re hiring an engineering manager for a construction site or for a mechanical project. This will help you narrow down the candidates to only those who possess the required knowledge and skills.
2. Summarize the Engineering Manager Position in One Paragraph
The job summary gives aspirants a concise overview of the position. In one paragraph, explain what the position is about, including the responsibilities and required qualifications. This overview should help aspiring engineering managers to decide if the job suits them.
3. Enumerate the Duties of the Engineering Manager
After writing the summary, you can get right into the technical details of the position. Starting with the duties and responsibilities, enumerate them with the most important ones listed first. This section provides aspiring employees with an idea of what they will be doing if they get hired.
4. Identify the Necessary Skills and Qualifications
Another list that you need to make covers the requirements for the job. These requirements should include both soft and hard skills, and qualifications, and education. This section will serve as the candidate’s reference when writing their cover letter and resume.
5. Elaborate on Some Perks of Working as an Engineering Manager
Candidates are more likely to work for your company if you have perks and benefits to offer. These are more than just their regular salaries. You should mention in your job description health or medical insurances, annual appraisals, bonuses, etc.
What are the advantages of having a job description?
- It can help serve as a reference when issues arise between employees.
- It can be used as a basis for evaluating employee performance and behavior.
- It helps recruiters in finding the right candidate to fill a vacant position.
What are the responsibilities of an engineering manager?
- Supervises engineers and technicians who design and create machines.
- Gets involved in budget planning, creating bids, and writing contracts.
- Directs production, operations, and quality control.
- Prepares project proposals and reports to present to clients.
What skills should an engineering manager possess?
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexible or capable of adapting to changes easily.
- Good analytical and decision-making skills.
- Exemplary interpersonal skills.
How much do engineering managers earn?
According to Salary, engineering managers in the US earn between $123,676 and $152,989 a year. In terms of annual average, they earn around $137,813 excluding the various factors that affect their salary.
What are some of the most common benefits offered to engineering managers?
- Health, dental, and disability insurances.
- 401(k) benefits.
- Commuter and relocation assistance.
- Parental leaves.