How to Create Monthly Meeting Minutes in Google Docs
According to a survey on the website, Highfive, 73% of attendees multitask while a meeting is in session. Obviously, this is prone to missing out on important details, but there are meeting minutes to help them get back on track. Here are some useful tips to help you with writing meeting minutes.
1. Take Note of the Attendees
Checking who’s present and who’s absent in a meeting is important. One reason is that when motions are made, you can determine the number of those who are and are not in favor of it. Aside from the attendee’s name, make sure they also include the position they’re holding and their contact information.
2. Write Down Motions, Suggestions, and Decisions
Among the many things to write in board meeting minutes, the most important ones include the motions, decisions, and approvals made. Be mindful of these when they’re taken up. Also, make sure to include the name of the person who made the suggestion or decision.
3. Keep Your Notes Short but Reliable
Don’t try to record everything verbatim. Not only is this impossible, but it’s also unnecessary. Keep your meeting minutes short but highly informative. Simply write an outline of the most important matters and then rephrase or summarize the details. This will save you the stress as well as save the reader from having to go through lengthy notes.
4. Use a Sound or Voice Recorder If Needed
Only if needed, have a sound recorder within reach during the meeting. Why? The pace might be too fast for you and you might miss a lot of important information. By recording the meeting, you can review it afterward to ensure that your committee meeting minutes contain all the important matters.
5. Don’t Hesitate to Ask for Clarifications
Another way to catch up if the pace is too fast is by asking for clarifications. However, do not interfere while somebody is talking, do this only after a person is speaking. Asking for clarifications is normal, don’t shy away from doing it especially if you’re making a meeting report.
What are monthly meeting minutes?
Monthly meeting minutes are a written record of the topics and discussions taken up in a regular monthly meeting. This is written by a minute taker, who is either an elected person or simply appointed to write the minutes for that month’s meeting.
Why are meeting minutes important?
- Minutes serve to protect the group if legal actions are taken against them.
- Minutes help the team measure the success of their activities.
- Minutes remind the team of what was discussed in the last meeting.
- Minutes provide information to those who were absent in the last meeting.
What should you include in meeting minutes?
- Date, time, and venue fo the meeting.
- The meeting’s agenda.
- Names of the attendees.
- Decisions that were made.
- Upcoming actions that need to be performed.
- Next meeting schedule and venue.
Why is it called minutes?
The term “minutes” is actually unrelated to time, it is derived from the Latin “minuta scriptura” which means “small notes.” Therefore, meeting minutes can also be referred to as small notes in a meeting.
How can meetings be improved?
- The presiders should ask the attendees for feedback about the meeting’s productivity.
- Attendees should be encouraged to voice out if they agree or disagree with any suggestion or plan.