What Is an Office Manager Job Description?
An office manager job description is a document that elaborates on the person's responsibilities and requirements when taking on the said position. According to the website, Inc., an office manager deals with the utilization of supplies, to promote team chemistry, and to keep up with the company's growth.
How to Make an Office Manager Job Description
To help you in writing a job description, specifically for an office manager position, consider going through our sample guidelines below.
1. Summarize the Job
One of the essential elements of a job description is the summary. This section begins by giving the potential employees an idea of what the role is about and what it demands from them. Because it is just a summary, make sure that it's concise and limited to only one paragraph.
2. List the Duties and Responsibilities
Is the manager going to oversee the office administrators? Is he or she going to report to the CEO? After giving readers a taste regarding the job, they'll want to know more. Provide them with details on what they'll be doing, and make sure that the more crucial tasks are listed first.
3. Enumerate the Soft and Hard Skills
Once the interested applicants know about their function in the team, inform them about the soft and hard skills they should possess or train on. This serves as the basis for the aspirants' cover letter and resume. Soft skills should include people management and communication skills, while hard skills should mention budgeting and computer skills.
4. Identify the Qualifications and Requirements
Aside from simply providing a list of skills, also elaborate on the required qualifications the applicant must have. Is your company requiring a specific degree? Or maybe a certification? This section will further inform the aspirant if he or she is qualified to apply for the managerial position.
Why are job descriptions important?
- Job descriptions ensure that the duties and responsibilities mentioned are in line with the business’ vision and mission.
- Job descriptions serve as a basis for training newly hired employees about their duties to meet the business’ goals and objectives.
- Job descriptions will help the employer in coming up with questions and topics to discuss when interviewing a candidate.
What are the responsibilities of an office manager?
- Sets meetings and conferences.
- Deals with concerns, conflicts, and complaints.
- Oversees the performance of the office administrators and administrative assistants.
- Handles the office’s financial resources.
- Delegates or assigns tasks to employees.
What are the traits considered in a good office manager?
- A good office manager should be energetic.
- He or she should know how and when to think ahead for the anticipation of problems or consequences.
- A good office manager should be within his or her employees’ reach in times of concern.
How much do office managers earn?
According to a March 2020 data shown by the website, Salary, officer managers earn an average of $78,883 per year. In terms of range, they earn between $67,147 and $91,283 annually.
How does one become an office manager?
For a person to become an office manager, he or she should have an associate's or bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or any related field. In terms of experience, the candidate should have handled areas such as sales, purchasing, or administration. Lastly, while most employers do not require certificates, it helps in showcasing the skills further, thus increasing the chances of the candidate getting hired.